All Ford Mustangs | Model Specific Forums, GT-40P Heads - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine. LOW-BUCK 302 FORD HEAD UPGRADE Richard Holdener 239K subscribers 189K views 2 years ago WESTECH PERFORMANCE GROUP WHAT'S IT WORTH? But what we were most impressed with was the solid gain in torque over the smaller Voodoo cam from 3,500 and up. I must agree with Jeff Smith. The heads got a 3 angle valve job, new valves from speed-pro and all the valve train was from crane that matched the current hydraulic cam. well i finally did my first ever carb build, ive always been an EFI guy Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile. We turned to Rare Auto Design in Orlando for dyno tests to find out how much horsepower we gained. Have fun, be safe, enjoy. 68 XR7 & 68 M-100. Stock valve sizes? You keep stock drivability, and stock gas milage if you can stay out of boost. If you're going to use the stock 289 heads, install 1.84-inch intake valves, then port the intake and exhaust; these mods will net you about 185 cfm of intake port flow at 0.50 lift. Both have very similar valve sizes, but the GT40P head has slightly larger combustion chambers for a small bump in compression and better flow. Speedmaster PCE281.2046 Small Block Ford Aluminum Cylinder Heads 62cc You can find them on later model Mercury Mountaineers and several other Ford SUV applications. Ive bought wrecking yard SBFs and put 20 lbs of boost to them and spin them to 7000 and made 500 HP with several of them. The 2 heads are about the same when looking at the numbers with the GT40p heads having a slight edge. The only failures Ive had were timing chains and a couple broken rods in a mid 80s 302 with 200,000 miles on it that got about 35 lbs of boost stuffed into it when a pop off valve I bought on ebay failed. I got rid of the carburetor and went with a F.A.S.T. We've already been motivated to put this engine in a buddy's Mustang. Stock 93-95 Cobra shortblock (stock cobra cam), GT40X heads, 1.7 rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 650, and longtube headers. GT40P Heads how much hp from them. - StangNet I just read about this build on the corral.net. I turned it because it was tired when I got it. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. But the part about a cam replacement possibly being a labor intensive undertaking is correct. Well assume it is a 5.0L with stock heads. Thanks for the help, I was planning on puttingin roller rockers or at least new springs, and that engine looks great, hoppfully mine will look at least similar to that one of these days. All costing in the end at least another $2k. Here is the lowdown on exhaust manifolds and VALVE SPRINGS. Cant wait to try um out. When compared to the new generation of performance engines on the market today like the 5.0L DOHC Coyote engine, your engine will not come close. Small Block Ford 289/302/5.0L/351w 180cc/60cc Aluminum Cylinder Head E42004. I got lucky and found a complete Explorer GT40P engine online. Because of this, your tuneup will probably need to be modified. 302, GT40P Heads, E cam, 4 into 4, Holley 600, Mallory Unilite, Levy SD T5, 3.73, 15" Team III, firewall mod, trunk mod, trailer hitch, drivers foot box mod, front tow rings. Since 2003, Jeff has held various positions at Car Craft (including editor), has written books on small block Chevy performance, and even cultivated an impressive collection of 1965 and 1966 Chevelles. P-heads have a smaller combustion chamber at 59cc, which will bump the compression ratio up on an otherwise-stock 5.0 engine. The '00 Ford Explorers and Mercury Moutaineers were factory equipped with one of Ford's better 5.0L motors. These are some of the best castings Ford ever produced for this engine, and are still fairly cheap and available used. For both the GT40 and GT40p heads, I STRONGLY suggest upgrading the valve springs. The GT40 and GT40P cylinder heads are highly sought after, but how do they stack up against other cylinder heads, and is it worth it to upgrade the Fox Body's stock heads? Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) - GT40P heads? We guarantee plenty of burnout action when you add GT-40P heads to your 5.0 Mustang. Like I said lots of options. how much HP and torque? We gained 45 hp and 40 lb-ft of torque. What you are trying to do is to increase the amount of airflow through the engine in order to make more power. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. A forum community dedicated to Ford Mustang owners and enthusiasts. (A starter is a motor, windshield wipers use a motor,electric windows use motors) Any one uses that terminology in my shop will be corrected once, only once. Gasoline/Diesel all makes on earth & still doing it today with great pride.Feel free to contact me anytime. Gt40p heads - FourEyedPride.com That carbureted GT40P motor made 465 on th engine dyno with a .500" 239/244 camshaft, Holley 650 carb and Weiand Stealth intake. I bought a crate 302 from Downs Ford a few years ago that was producing 320 hp. A forum community dedicated to vintage Ford Mustang owners and enthusiasts. The GT40P cylinder heads had a small combustion chamber ranging from 58-61cc while the GT40 heads had a 63-66cc combustion chamber. We didn't increase the valve size, although we did have to add Manley valves to get the proper spring-installed height. United Engine and Machine sells cheap but decent pistons that will do what you're wanting. Someone does make the Tri-Y's headers for the early Mustangs using the "P" heads. You should be able to get away with a 150 to 200 horsepower shot later, but it's best to start out small and work up. I'm running BBK un-equal length shorty's, and I'm able to get all the plugs in, tight, and all plug wires on. I got lucky and found a complete Explorer GT40P engine online. Then why did you port the heads and how do you know if you made an improvement. Similar to regular GT-40 heads, the biggest difference between the two is that the P-heads feature a revised spark plug angle which extends the plug into the combustion chamber, putting the flame front close to the absolute center of the chamber, resulting in a smoother combustion process. I was looking at putting on the GT40P heads on. If you smooth out the bowls and exhaust ports and gasket match the intakes they should flow decent. T5 with 3.73s. are you twisted331 also? Upgrading Fox Body Cylinder Heads - AmericanMuscle.com This combination should be good for about 400 horsepower and as much as 500 if you opt to use the stronger aftermarket pistons. 331/347 stroker w/gt40p's, waste?Hp?cost involved? - Maverick Ford GT40P 302 5.0L 4 Bar Cylinder Head Assembly Pair w/ 1/2" Head Bolt Hole. Note the head bolt hole issue, some GT40 iron heads had 1/2 holes, if not they will need to be enlarged. You need to check. GT-40P Heads - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine - MotorTrend Install a set of GT-40P cylinder heads from a late 1990's Ford Explorer or a set of GT40 heads from an early 1990's Mustang 5.0L. Im running stock GT40 heads with stock 4.000 bore on cylinders and a Lunati cam with 256/262; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .483/.499; LSA/ICL: 112/108. Again, assuming this is a nearly stock 5.0L with stock heads, the Weiand Street Warrior dual plane intake and 600 cfm carburetor, its important to not become overly aggressive and choose a big camshaft. They also have emissions legal heads as well. GT40, GT40P, would be great factory heads. This is the main reason why these engines are not modified as much as the small block Chevy. One benefit gt40P head will have over other 80's-90's model heads, including the gt40 head, is that it has a smaller combustion chamber much like the original 289 heads. Seriously though if you're not planning on an all-out attack for HP, I'd consider a forged piston out of Probe's SRS line-up. Its NA but makes use of AFR heads and some other aftermarket goodies. That's a 40 per cent increase in power from a simple head and cam swap, and one seriously happy Mustang owner! And have discovered something that I dont think anyone else knows. However, when we dyno'd the car before installing the GT-40P heads, the fan was on the car. Since the engine is nearly stock, we would want to choose a relatively mild camshaft with somewhat more lift and duration than stock, but again not going too aggressive. The longer duration created a slight loss of torque below 3,300 rpm compared to both previous cams, but beyond that mild loss of power, the bigger Voodo out-powered its smaller cousin, cranking out a peak torque of 355 lb-ft at 4,300 (a gain of 7 lb-ft over Test 2) and charging to a peak horsepower of 376 at 6,000 rpm. Along with the heads, we used MAC headers for GT-40P heads. Ford Factory 5.0 Performance Cylinder Heads. However, theres a distinct possibility that I might pull all of my hair out if I see another in-depth article explaining how I, along with just over a billion other desperate humans seeking answers, need special valve spring split locks for my next tired Chevy build. ford 302 sbf gt40p v8 cast iron complete cylinder head and head bolts and head gasket set. 69.90.139.244 No-option stripper- I like strippers. FORD GT40p 4 BAR HEADS IN GOOD CONDITION . We also discovered some issues with the GT40P heads that required changes, so we added valves from Manley that eliminated the exhaust-valve rotators and allowed us to set the proper valvespring installed height. 1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD. at the crank. Test 1: 750-cfm carburetor, dual-plane intake manifold, and stock camshaft. Not when you can buy a set of Promaxx or AFR Enforcer heads for $1000, that already have decent hardware included. Pretty sure that was name, but I could be wrong. Install a Ford Motorsport E303, X303 or F303 cam, or any of the similar units from Indy, Lunati or your favorite manufacturer. The entire front accessory drive and timing chain cover must be removed, along with the distributor and intake manifold. Shop by category. This is needed for the steel roller cam. The GT40P heads flow a lot better than stock 351 heads. Per a UEM tech support email I have the Icon IC736 is supposed to be good for GT40 heads when I asked about it. I am working on a set of iron GT40s hoping it goes faster. . They work, but present their own challenges. Just make sure it is a roller cam. Smith began writing for Car Craft magazine in 1979 and became editor in 1984. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. We decided to test both ideas, so we ordered two roller cams from Lunati: a shorter-duration cam that would deliver decent idle vacuum and maybe make around 320 to 335 hp, and a longer-duration version that might push the horsepower up to perhaps 350 hp. A trip to Orlando Speed World provided us with updated quarter-mile times. The GTp heads are like GT 40's with smaller combustion chambers and the spark plugs are relocated for a more efficient burn. 302HO with gt40p heads | Mustang Forums at StangNet The SUV indicated barely 120,000 on the clock, and after yanking the valve covers to judge the engine's condition, Tim Moore instantly made the decision to do the boneyard version of a smash-and-grab. Save narve00 All manufactured using advanced CNC technology for the extreme durability and precision required of the modern canted valve Ford Small Block at power levels around the 1000 mark reached during recent competitions at the EMC and at the strip. The valve seats have been cut on a . this is the price for one head. These heads have been remanufactured using refaced reclaimed Factory Valves. The asterisk HP differences are calculated using Test 1's 294-hp peak. 351W with GT40P heads? | Mercury Cougar Owners GT40p heads peak horsepower was [email protected] with 363ft/[email protected] The worked 351 heads showed peak . Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) - anyone have experience with GT40P heads on a 92 351W - ive got a 92 F250 with a 351W that needs a pretty serious rebuild. K.S. Ford GT40P 302 5.0L 4 Bar Cylinder Head Assembly Pair w/ 1/2" Head Bolt Hole. Let us explain. Trick Flow Mustang Valve Spring Upgrade Kit - Cast Iron Head (79-95) Mar 23, 2004. Supercharging GT40p heads | Modded Mustang Forums Features hardened 4140 Chromoly retainers, valve locks, spring shims, a spring height gauge, valve seals, and instructions. You didnt mention what camshaft you would be choosing or exactly which 5.0L Ford Windsor engine you are working with. Sure, you could race-port the existing E7 castings, which many have done, but then you're putting quite a bit of change into stock heads. 1979 Indy 500 Pace Car. Mac and Ford Motorsport both make a GT40P spacific header. The GT40 heads have thermactor holes built in to connect to the EGR/smog equipment whereas the GT40P heads use an external EGR connective system. Not sure about that but got some pictures of the cast iron explorer manifolds on a 302. Enter your search keyword. A COMP hydraulic roller cam we found works well with this combination. I've not seen a set of longtubes that have an issue with GT40P's, either. Good Luck. In review, we rescued a used 5.0L Ford from the boneyard, ported the heads, added a cam, carburetor, intake manifold, and headers, and pulled an amazing 376 hp out of the mix. When building an engine there is a lot to take into consideration. You didnt mention the car this engine is in, but lets assume there is enough room to remove the radiator and any other coolers and perhaps some or all of the front grille and/or brackets before the cam has sufficient room to exit the front of the engine. As a final goal, we decided to bolt on a simple nitrous system and see if we could push this little small-block Ford to make some real power. In addition, the cam timing was designed for torque, with duration somewhere around 190 degrees at 0.050 with roughly 0.450-inch lift. Ill do springs and a moderate cam and go for a good, dependable power plant. Beyond the engine's amazingly good appearance, Moore had a couple of good reasons for choosing this engine. Required fields are marked *. There was an article in Hot Rod magazine in the mid '80's where Jon Kaase was developing 351w packages. We compare the GT40s to modern cylinder heads as well as other heads from the era. If we subtract the 20 hp that the fan is worth, we end up with a gain of 25 hp. 402 HP NA from a HI PO 289 isnt that mysterious of a feat to accomplish with todays SBF Aftermarket parts availability. Now we know why Dennis Hilliard of Central Coast Mustang is so high on these heads. this head fits years 95-01 explorer mountaineer mercury mountaineer . The cost of a new set of standard replacement roller lifters is very affordable at major retailers like Summit. However I think the opportunity window is slowly closing. many thanks to all you eco-hippies giving me dirty looks and helping me feel llike an overall badass rebel. Ha! The results were a major increase in power throughout the entire rev range, with an increase of 60hp at 4500rpm through to a peak of 279hp at 5800rpm. If I remember right, non of the GT40P's (later models) had the thermactor smog provisions. As you might expect with more duration, the idle quality dropped significantly but was still able to make 11.5 inches of vacuum at 980 rpm. 1983 Mustang G.T. It's an 86 roller 5.0 engine that had a recent rebuild sometime in the past with keith black pistons, otherwise stock. However, stepping up in the performance head market will set you back more than $1,200 for a decent pair of aluminum castings--and that's straight out of the box, with no porting. Do you guys have part numbers for the spring kits? There is a better way. These are some of the best castings Ford ever produced for this engine, and are still fairly cheap and available used. Their weak point is that the rotator used on the exhaust valve is very thick. #2::: Get advice from a reptile engine builder with experience(first flag for me is when somebody refers to an ENGINE as a MOTOR! The HP DIFF column on the far right lists the horsepower difference between Test 1 and Test 3. GT40s have 64cc chambers. The kit offers adjustable power from 50 to 250 hp with a simple jet change. GT40P heads, 302 and Victor Jr. intake: - Factory Five Racing Forum We then dyno'd the car without the fan to get some consistency and were rewarded with a peak of 316 hp at 5,500 rpm, and 348 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. This will follow the guideline of a 1.6 rocker baseline and factory bottom end 79-95 related 5.0L Mustangs only. Depending on the Headers you have you might be okay. This is a common mistake with first-time cam buyers who dont necessarily appreciate that the cam is just one component of the overall engine package. Took me 7 hours to do one head.but they cleaned up real nice. that is a healthy budget deal. The question was whether we wanted a torquey small-block or a more cammed-up rpm engine to boost peak horsepower. It has underdrive pulleys, MSD ignition, Bassanni headers and forward exit exhaust. I had a set of 69 302 heads I ran for a while . Everything fits, use the stock rockers and pushrods. There are literally a dozen or so camshaft companies that offer a mild hydraulic roller cam for a 5.0L Ford. There are a lot of variables that must be addressed to give a better estimate, but a good basic estimate is 20-40 HP at the crank. i've got a short block started, and i recently came across a set of GT40P heads for FREE ( love family members). I've got gt40p heads for it I'll be running, and can't afford better . I guess someone could just do a basic valve job and throw on the GT40 upper/lower intake for a cheap HP boost. As noted, this is looking like hes building a 351 Lightning truck motor, which is a good way to go. Part of this reason is due to its inherent strength and simplicity, but a lot of it has to do with how little Ford has changed it over the years. Where they differ is the combustion chamber size. In mid-1997, the Explorer and Mountaineer 5.0 L heads were revised and renamed . thats after 3 hours of idling/midrange hits to tune the idle and part throttle . 68stang351 Founding Member May 16, 2002 850 The heads that were used were also old C8 casting with 58cc chambers. It runs smooth but seems lazy. i'd love to use these heads,. Stock 1989 5.0L HO pistons will work if you can find them. It took him and yours truly eight hours from start to finish, using air tools and a lift to gain access to the header flanges. SBF engines are modified constantly. For additional insurance, we also added a set of ARP head studs, which are stronger and offer better thread overlap than factory bolts, which helps prevent pulling threads out of a used block. The combination of this cam with your intake and headers will produce a very nice street engine. 99 Explorer engine (302) with GT40P heads - Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum Ford offered a performance head that was a stock part on 1993-1995 Mustang Cobra models and pre- 1997-1/2 Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers equipped with the 5.0 L engine called the GT-40 head (casting ID F3ZE-AA). Go for it if you get them super cheap and can get headers/manifolds super cheap as well but otherwise I'd say it's a waste of time and money. 69-70 302 heads (the ones with the heart-shaped combustion chamber) Any early 289 heads for the chamber size (but you'll have small ports & valves w/all that CR) Flat Ernie, Aug 27, 2011 SHARE POST #8 fordfan289 Member from indiana correct me if Im wrong but cant you use 351c heads and get the same thing as a 302 boss. GT40P heads? how hard to put on? how much HP and torque? And remember ENGINES have been being built/rebuilt/modified for years. bmcdaniel, Feb 17, 2004 #7. v8maverick Member. anyone have experience with GT40P heads on a 92 351W The only one that's close, is #7. I have been working on Fords for 40 years and I have experimented with a few tricks of my own. Advanced: Daily Deals; Help & Contact; Sell; My eBay Expand My . Ive been building ENGINES for 40+ years. just curious. If you dont feel comfortable doing this higher a pro. What Cam and Springs to Use for GT40 Heads These engines came with the GT40P head, which even with its small valves, offers really good performance. I'm also have the regular GT40 heads on my current build. In an effort to preserve the history of the Early Fox Era, FEP covers the following vehicles: 79-86 Mustang and Capri, 84-86 Mustang SVO, 78-83 Fairmont & Zephyr, 83-86 LTD & Marquis, 80-88 Thunderbird & Cougar, 82-87 Continental, 84-92 Mark VII, 81-82 Granada. Finding Gt40p heads at the junkyard is getting more and more complicated and if you want to upgrade the heads you have to take into account the costs of the machine shop and compare everything to a set of cheap aluminum heads. Fastest e303 5.0l's? - FourEyedPride.com Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:05:31 pm by businesstrader Logged shaunp. With the GT-40P heads you will need to back off the timing a couple degrees and bump up the fuel pressure. There are caveats to this plan, however. Step 1. So I've got the motor and heads already for my maverick project. Yep my **** is coming apart again Isnt life great! The reason this new generation of Ford engines make a ton more power is they also enjoy fantastic cylinder heads and four valves per cylinder. GT40Ps have 58cc. Free shipping. Skip to main content. You will have to get special headers to fit these heads since the spark plugs are angled differently than normal 5.0 heads. Over $2050 for the 165/185 renegades. I may do some port matching and a little cleanup, otherwise just a set of springs and cam and see what I have. We heated the bottle to 950 psi and hit the button at 4,500 rpm. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. Is asking advice for a fairly common situation involving parts with mandatory compatibility between the two for performance and longevity. Dennis Hilliard of Central Coast says we can expect to gain three-tenths in the quarter-mile. $169.50. You can use the stock roller lifters with any size cam you want. It turned out we were conservative on both counts. Install a "wet" nitrous plate system (which carries both nitrous and fuel) onto the intake manifold and jet it conservatively for a 100 horsepower shot. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. If you know him, ask him. How to Build a Cheap Drag Racing 302 Ford Motor | It Still Runs Limited header choice is certainly a challenge. That's an improvement of 22 hp over Test 2. Can anyone give me a little feedback about a '99 Explorer 5.0, and tell me if it's my answer. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around. Start with any 302 block, but try to find one from 1985 and up since it will already have provisions for a roller camshaft. Holten's best time is a 12.63 at 105.9 mph, and if we gain the desired result he will be right in the thick of things in Trophy Stock competition. Do not ever, ever think about using the tube type manifolds. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 1983 Mustang G.T. Get 500 Horsepower from a Junkyard Ford Explorer 302 - MotorTrend Both swaps made more sense when parts were readily available at the bone yard for cheap. . Understanding Ford's Fox Body GT40 Cylinder Heads - CJ Pony Parts When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. JEGS High Performance.
What Channel Is Fs1 On Spectrum Hawaii, Shooting In Waco, Tx Yesterday, Kardea Brown Siblings, Adam Schiff Height And Weight, Articles OTHER