With a rifle meant for close, fast work, Id want the shorter barrel. Mine is not an original Winchester however, but a Browning reproduction. What kind of guns did he have? The Winchester 71 and .348 Winchester Cartridge, M1941 Johnson Semiauto Rifle, Part 1, History. Also, no other factory cartridge ever used the 0.348-inch bullet. The markings are clear. It is excellent for any North Americanbig gamein woods or brush, if the 250 grain bullet is used, but not especially suited to long range (400 yards and beyond) as a result of the need to use flat-nose slugs due to the Model 71s tubular magazine. Winchester introduced the Model 71 in 1935 or 1936, depending on where you read about it. I worked up loads, and Ive had one or another 71 ever since. Right now, we expect you to do your part to help us all get the ammo we need in our troubled country. And the 71 got the full treatment. On larger game, performance was awesome, but that applied on both ends. This rifle would still make a great hunting gun today. You can almost tell when an 1886 was made by weighing it. At first, you might wonder why it would be any different from a 45-70, and should in fact be less. }, The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. I have never handled a 24 barreled 71 to see, but I would think the balance point would be farther forward. These rifles were built by long time Browning/Winchester partner Miroku of Japan and came with holes drilled and tapped in the left side of the receiver for Lyman or Williams aperture sights. Winchester did make a peep sight of their own for the 71. Be the first to review "Used: Browning T-Bolt Varmint .22Lr" Cancel reply. This rifle is in about Excellent condition with about 98% of its metal finish remaining, a great bore, and minor marks in the wood. The 71 is a little different. If you continue as guest, you will have to wait to receive your physical card in the mail to use your Instant Credit. This 348 loadwould be a great short range (under 250 yards) elk or moose load too. Those locking bolts went straight up and down on the 1886, but are slanted slightly rearward on the 71. Description: Browning Model 71 .348 Winchester. Its Model 54 bolt action was successful, but at its heart, Winchester was a lever-action company when it came to rifles. Description: Browning Model 71 Lever action carbine, in 348 Winchester caliber, 20 inch barrel, plain walnut stock. However, when I picked a Model 71 off the shelf at my local gun dealer and shouldered it for the first time, I realized that if I ever wanted another lever action rifle, this had to be the one. These bullets run closer to 240 grains made from wheelweight alloy, lubed, gas checked, and ready to go. Email Us; 1-800-227 . The high grade Walnut does have a few signs of wear in the finish, but presents very well. In its high condition, it would also make a great addition to a Browning or lever-action collection. If that isnt enough to narrow down what Henry had, only one rifle was ever made to chamber it- the Winchester Model 71. The Standard had a smooth walnut pistol grip stock, while the Deluxe featured four panel checkering on the pistol grip and forend, a pistol grip cap, detachable sling swivels and (on pre-war guns) a bolt-mounted aperture sight. Ammunition cannot be shipped air freight, due to shipping regulations. The 86 was the first lever action designed for Winchester by John Moses Browning, and it was intended to house powerful, large-cased blackpowder cartridges. The .348 Winchester is certainly an interesting cartridge. The box has some minor scuff marks and has minor peeling at one end. A guy who makes gas checks asked on a forum if anyone had a .348 rifle to try some new checks he was making, and I volunteered. I suppose if a bear was sitting on you, you might have the need. _________________, NY: Due to New York State ammunition regulations, Black Dog Ammunition cannot ship ammo to the Burroughs of New York city. Apparently others thought so over the years too, since Winchester has made .348 ammo in 150, 200 and 250 grain bullet weights at various periods, with the 200 always being most popular and the only one they have made in decades. ), but Ive never even seen a factory 150-grain .348 load. of kinetic energy (Winchester figures). The top of the barrel at the rear, the top of the chamber ring, the left of the bolt and both locking lugs are each marked NP. Specifically developed for the Winchester model 71 lever action rifle, the .348 Winchester will push a 150-grain bullet to almost 2900 fps and a 200-grain bullet to 2500 fps. It swings off to allow unimpeded use of open sights. The .348 Win. / MADE IN JAPAN and BROWNING MODEL 71 CALIBER .348 WIN. The .348 Winchester was most popular with hunters in Canada and Alaska, as it could be used to take down elk and moose as well as dealing with any brown bears which wanted to contest the hunters claim to their kill. Id guess more than a few of the new Brownings were bought with the plan of converting it to one of the Alaskan cartridges. I tried them at 50 yards at first since I didnt know where they would impact with my sight settings, and the first load tried gave 1.25 groups at just a little under 1800 fps. Free in-store pickup today at Phoenix. Rifle also comes with RCBS reloading dies. All metal parts were machined from steel. Item : TJP00252712. Markings:The left of the barrel is marked BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN, UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q. at 100 yd., but my rifle seems to be heat sensitive. In my opinion, the Winchester 71 has to be the most outdoorsy looking rifle ever made. Youre probably not going to get a 200-grain homogeneous alloy bullet that will function. The .348 Winchester was most popular with hunters in Canada and Alaska, as it could be used to take down elk and moose as well as dealing with any brown bears which wanted to contest the hunters claim to their kill. Strictly Business. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. Tips, techniques, and equipment are applied to these classroom discussions on how to become more proficient and successful at making long-range shots while hunting with AR-platform rifles. ), In 1987 Browning produced a modern version of the Model 71 in Japan. The 1886 was the largest of the Winchester lever rifle actions. Please try again at a later time. / MADE IN JAPAN and BROWNING MODEL 71 CALIBER .348 WIN. It was manufactured until 1958, and about 70,000 were produced. My dad never cared very much for hunting or fishing so had little interest in Henrys field exploits. The Remington Model Seven is ready, willing and able to handle just about any task. Winchester had chambered the previous Model 1886 for .33 Winchester (.338 inch bullet) and the Model 1895 for .35 Winchester (.358 inch bullet). I have no idea why they would do this, since there cant be much of a market, but Im glad. Some think the 71 is the ultimate refinement of Winchesters lever actions. It is impossible for a single cartridge to perform as well as each of those cartridges did in their area of expertise. The Winchester Model 71 .348 Lever Action Rifle - CHUCKHAWKS.COM The.348 Winchesteris an Americanriflecartridge. I have seen a question on forums asking if a peep sight can be had for Browning 71s. Email a copy to george@blackdogammunition.com. Browning made them for less than a year across 1986-1987 only, and in similar variations as Winchester. in the model 71. The Standard had smooth wood and no factory sling swivel studs. This business can be reached at 9136771212. My first two shots group 2 in. You can filter the list of items shown by selecting attributes. There isnt a huge choice of either loaded .348 Winchester ammunition or bullets to handload. Browning Ammunition (10) PMC Ammunition (10) SIG SAUER (10) Aguila (9) Kent Cartridge (9) Plano (8) Barnes Bullets (7) Sellier & Bellot (7) B&P (6) . Picatinny Base for Browning BLR. The left of the receiver is factory drilled and tapped with a Lyman 66 A receiver sight installed, adjustable for windage and elevation. (The Model 71 was discontinued in 1958. Otherwise, there are only light handling marks. Attention!You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Id think that would be one good bullet whatever the weight. One M71 for every 23 M94s sold. This rimmed, bottleneck, centerfire cartridge is based on a necked-down .50-110 case. Used Winchester 71s sell for stupid money no matter what, so I dont pay that much attention to which length brings more. J.F.N. The rifle is hand engraved by T. Naka and comes with a Williams peep sight attached with factory holes. No ammo is tamper proof! The comb has a broader curve instead of tapering to a narrow top. Although not a lever-action guy, Jack OConnor wrote kindly of the 71 and, in the late 1930s he used the .348 to take one of his desert bighorns. In order for us to accomplish this for our customers, we ask the following. Browning Model 71 Carbine in 348 Winchester - Long Range Hunting Forum Browning 71 Lever Action Carbine in 348 Winchester **USED** The open top receiver ejects upward by means of a fixed ejector, making conventional (receiver top) scope mounting impractical. The Old Guard at the Winchester factory was losing out to the modernizers. To use a general term, Henry was what we would probably call an outdoorsman. That 162 grains is light for caliber, but lever actions are limited to finite cartridge overall length, and copper-alloy bullets are longer than lead-core bullets. This rifle is in about Excellent condition with about 99% of its metal finish remaining, and there are only a few light marks in the wood. Thank you for your understanding. Something that fit the image Winchester wanted. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. I may never drive the Alaska Highway (I did plan to once, but it fell through). Your address will still go on the order address. | Picatinny Base for Browning BLR | Tombstone Tactical FREE SHIPPING - PURCHASE 12 OR MORE BOXES, Over the decades, Ive owned six or seven rifles/carbines chambered for 348 Win. A strong spring keeps the scope down against the receiver, offset to the left to allow ejection. Scopes came into common use after World War II, and its a challenge to scope a top-eject rifle like the 71. It features considerable body taper and a 19-degree, 4-minute shoulder. In equal bullet weights like 165, 200, 220 grains, the velocities are so close as to be the same. The .33 Winchester was the first smokeless powder round the 1886 was chambered for, and required a switch to a Nickel Steel barrel to contain the higher pressures. Locking the action is achieved by dual, vertically sliding lugs in receiver raceways that engage matching cut-outs in both sides of the bolt when the bolt is fully forward (closed). Both Browning and Winchester have offered modern versions over the past few decades. The new Model 71 rifle and its in-between .348 caliber cartridge were intended to replace both. BROWNING MODEL 71 "HIGH GRADE" - guns.com I ordered a Lyman 66 sight for the 1886 and it fit just fine. _________________, Order Cancellation by Black Dog Ammunition. The right of the barrel is marked BROWNING MODEL 71 CALIBER .348 WIN. Not that the straight-sided blunt-bulleted cartridges are hard to load, but the .348 seems easier. you can get loaded ammunition from Buffalo Bore, using a 250 grain bonded jacketed flat nose at 2250 fpsand running around $80 for 20. This is fine for targets, but I would remove the Merit aperture completely and go with the sights wide open threaded aperture receptacle for hunting. That magazine holds four rounds, making the 71 a five-shooter. Weve been making 348 Winchester ammo for almost 20 years as of this writing. Thats all nice, but why on earth would Winchester choose to update a caliber that seemed unpopular compared to the 45-70 and 50-110 that were accepted then and still well-known today? "ItemImage" : "https://assets.basspro.com/image/list/fn_select:jq:first(.%5B%5D%7Cselect(.public_id%20%7C%20endswith(%22main%22)))/3681251.json", There are no chips or cracks. When you get close to maximum loads that start to push back against the bolt more than normal, it will tell you by giving the lever a little pop you can feel. To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. There were options and upgrades, but the Model 71 was produced in only two primary variants: Standard and Deluxe, both in rifle versions with 24-inch barrels and carbines with 20-inch barrels and pistol grip stocks. I have to agree. Uncheckered satin finished walnut stock. The .348's elegant tapered case ensured a very smooth feeding and chambering cycle in the Model 71. Your session is about to timeout due to inactivity. Create an account or sign in to an existing account. Serial. They also went to work on a new cartridge that would max out the big action and be the most powerful and versatile round that could possibly be housed in a tubular-magazine lever action. Stock Configuration & Condition:The stocks are two-piece smooth wood with capped forend, pistol grip, fluted straight comb, and checkered blued steel buttplate. I dont know if I knew anything about a .348 caliber at the time, but I later knew there has only been one .348: the .348 Winchester. Making the cartridge a .35 would certainly have made life easier for reloaders, as many bullets are available in .358 inch diameter and very few in .348 inch. Only 3000 of these guns were made over a two-year period, this one being #01391. Enter Starline brass. 348 Winchester | Black Dog Ammunition Other specifications include a 24 inch round barrel, four shot half magazine, 43-1/8 inch overall length, 13-1/4 inch length of pull, 1-1/8 inch drop at comb, 1-1/2 inch drop at heel and eight pound weight (empty).
Rascal Flatts Farewell Tour 2022, Does A Commercial Dishwasher Need A Grease Trap, Articles B