Amanda Jones and. Error! Election day will be November 8, 2022. I want to be your trustee because corrections are needed on this board. While there are teachers and staff that they commend, they seem to want to silence some or refuse to hold others accountable for their actions resulting in distrust. May 1, 2021 Election Results: Comal ISD - KSAT Trustee meetings drew packed board rooms this year following a series of controversial actions, motivating those who opposed their decisions to launch a get-out-the-vote campaign. 9:53 AM Apr 21, 2021 CDT Two incumbents and five challengers competed for three trustee seats on the Southwest ISD board. It should also allow contractors to sharpen their pencils on how to rebuild similar buildings based on previous experience. And though COVID is thought of as being to blame, math scores for students across all grade levels K-12 have dropped from 50% in 2019 to 35% in 2021, and similarly in other disciplines. accounts, the history behind an article. Meet the Teacher, Orientation, & Open House, Lamar University Educational Leadership Program. Youth Development Director for Ignite Volleyball Association. I have experience in Engineering, Cost Accounting, Production Planning and Plant Operations Management. Why or why not? Brittany Soto: District No. Elec. It is our responsibility to use money wisely, and the wisest thing we can do is pay our teachers more, but not only our teachers, we also need to pay our support staff more. There was an error processing your request. Comal ISD board of trustees District 1 - impact (Community Impact Newspaper staff). Comal ISD is very reliant on homeowners to provide growth funding. School Board Elections - Republican Party - Comal County GOP These acquired skills give me a key understanding of educational requirements and issues, personnel and disciplinary issues, construction, capacity planning, maintenance and finances as well as the caring and compassion needed to understand and address any issues facing the Comal ISD School Board. Don't Threaten. City council hopefuls must have resided in their respective districts at least six months prior to filing, have resided in the city at least 12 months prior to the election date, and in no way be currently indebted to the city. If approved by voters, the Maintenance and Operations tax rate for 2021 would be 94 cents compared to 2020s tax rate of 92 cents. Revenue generated by the VATREcould fund compensation increasesofup tothree percent annually over the next three to four years. In following years, the tax rate is projected to lower back to 92 cents in 2022 and 91 cents in 2023 due to rising property appraisal values. My goal is to see our district continue being a pacesetter in statewide education. I do volunteer charity work for the Garden Ridge Lions Club as the club Vice President. Comal ISD is divided into single-member districts and has a seven-member Board of Trustees. How would you / do you decide whether or not to approve the budget recommended to you by district administration? | Six candidates have filed for two Comal ISD trustee positions, five seek two city council spots, and six vie for three seats on the New Braunfels ISD board. 2005-2022 Community Impact Newspaper Co. All rights reserved. We've already got a shortfall of budget around special education. The last day to register to vote for this election is April 7. We also need to make sure that before we continue to let people outside of the district register students here, we have sufficient staffing, especially for our students who are [in special education], [English language learners] and on 504 plans. Why reinvent the wheel. CISD has done a great job keeping the schools open and I hope they remain open through the end of the school year. This is a challenge. It is no secret that Comal ISD is growing at an unprecedented rate, and how well we handle additional student enrollment is crucial. Occupation: I am currently retired, but I do some substitute teaching. Preliminary election results for three open seats on the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD school board show voters chose experience with one exception. Comal ISD single-member districts 6 and 7 are up for election this year and are occupied by Marty Bartlett and Cody Mueller, respectively. This could be done by being more proactive in reducing construction costs via replication of construction designs. why is my cookies pen blinking purple is there mobile coverage across the nullarbor comal county fire department Northside board policy is to declare whoever wins the most votes the winner, so there wont be a runoff. Internet stream is unaffected. My wife, Tory, and I attend Northeast Bible Church and have two daughters who go to Garden Ridge Elementary School. One side consists of parents and students, another side consists of teachers and administrators and support staff. Delivering entertainment and live music news straight to your inbox every Thursday morning. Because I have children in the district, I am 100% invested in what is best for students. Seats representing District 1 and 2 on the City Council are up for grabs, as incumbents Shane Hines and Justin Meadows did not file for reelection. School Board Election - Plano Independent School District There was no communication with teachers or parents. 3:37 PM Feb 22, 2022 CST, Three New Braunfels ISD positions and two Comal ISD positions will appear on the ballot May 7. For more information about the Comal County Elections, click here. Comal Independent School District, District 4 General Election, 3-year term, 2014; Party Candidate Vote % Votes Nonpartisan : Denise Kern: 61.2%: 386 Nonpartisan : Nancy Pappas Incumbent: 38.8%: 245: Total Votes: 631: Source: Comal Independent School District, "Comal ISD School Board Election Results," May 10, 2014 He received 120 votes. Voters in the San Antonio area will also vote in municipal and school board elections. I would like to see teachers, teach and not have to focus on the standardized testing regulations. 12 candidates vie for NBISD, CISD board of trustees positions - impact Updated After the filing period for the upcoming May election closed Feb. 18, a total of 12 candidates filed for two Comal ISD and three New Braunfels ISD trustee positions. What would be your top priorities if you are elected? Masks are a simple and effective way to help provide that safety. Do you think your district is doing a good job educating its students? We need to work with state legislators to keep more tax dollars in our school district and increase teacher compensation to reflect current costs of living and inflation. Those board member positions are occupied by Marty Bartlett and Cody Mueller, respectively.. The date and location of the next general election of Trustees for the District shall be in the Single-Member Districts as indicated in Board Policy BBB (Local), which may be accessed by clicking this link and inserting policy code BBB.. School board candidates must be registered voters, reside in the district they are filing for and must have resided within the school district for at least six months. This skill set will lend itself well to future capital construction projects the Comal ISD will seek out to meet future expected growth. Before this, I worked at Ed White Middle School in NEISD for four years. I do not know my opponents, but you have educated yourself and have decided, based our experience and education, whether we are the people for the job and you will vote for the best person accordingly. Another challenge facing Comal ISD is the lack of transparency from board members and accessibility for community members. Neither filed for re-election. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.. Mostly clear. This will have a domino effect on our community if we do not address this before the coming school year. Did not respond. Comal ISD Positions 1, 2 and 5all single-member districtswill be up for. [1] I would have voted to keep the mask mandate. Don't knowingly lie about anyone I enjoy hunting, fishing, or traveling when I have the time. This can be accomplished by replicating school designs which should lower design and construction costs, lowering maintenance parts and fixture costs, and allowing contractors to look at previous issues and correcting those in lower price bids. Voting and Election Information | Comal County, Texas Home Elections BBM & Early Voting Data May 7, 2022 Election Ballot by Mail and Early Voter Data Data for May 7, 2022 Election **NOTE: If an election entity is not hyperlinked, no data has been reported for that date. I am a full-time student at St. Phillips College. A top priority would be implementation of programs,. With a very dynamic growth rate, Comal ISD is poised to continue growing at a rapid pace. comal county fire department Click here to find out what district you are in. Three possibilities exist to consider a new map in the future. While the district must manage the predicted exponential growth occurring in our area, the community should be aware of, and participate in, the efforts to maintain high-quality educational opportunities for our growing student population. What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend listening and viewing, Attorney General Merrick Garland attends war crimes conference in Ukraine, A mother fights for accountability after her daughter died during ROTC training, Barnes & Noble is staging its biggest expansion in more than a decade. School Board District 6. Sorensen was part of aslate of candidates backed by the teachers union, student groups and progressive organizations running against board incumbents and former city councilwoman Leticia Ozuna. My kids are twelve, six, four, and I recently had another child who is almost seven months now. My time as a teacher has been rewarding, exciting, and, at times, mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting. 1 of 2. This would include being proactive in seeking out land to buy for future construction. After graduating with a degree in journalism from the University of Georgia Lauren was a freelance journalist and worked as a college English teacher in China. Full results: Texas House District 118 and more Bexar County elections Do you know this means your student scored about a 40% on the test? 3:37 PM Feb 22, 2022 CST Comal ISD residents who need to register to vote or need to update their voter registration due to a recent change of address,maydo so untilOct. 4. The next election for Board members is scheduled for May 6, 2023. But I believe transparency and accountability lead to trust throughout an organization, and no matter how an organization is currently run, there are always improvements that can be made in transparency and accountability. 1, Did not respond. Eric joined Community Impact as an editor in July 2021, returning to journalism after several years in the New Braunfels business community. New Braunfels police chief finalists announced, Q&A: Meet the candidates running for New Braunfels City Council, From persuasive writing to planting trees, Carl Schurz Elementary students celebrate Earth Day, Q&A's: Meet the candidates running for New Braunfels ISD board of trustees, Comal County surpasses 10K confirmed, probable COVID-19 cases. Oak Creek and Freiheit Elementary Schools, and a new middle school to relieve Canyon Middle School. TPR was founded by and is supported by our community. I do not like the latest unofficial grades for our school district and how our students are not meeting basic educational standards set for the [State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness], and in Math and Science. I feel as if this prevents students from having a good learning environment and reaching their full potential. Former Judson trustee Jose Macias Jr. will once again represent Judsons District 4. The requirements for being a Trustee on the Board of Trustees for the District may be found at Board Policy BBA (Legal), which may be accessed by clicking this linkand inserting policy code BBA.. Students, parents, and staffed should not have to worry about contracting the virus while going to school. Q&A: Get to know who is running for the Comal ISD board of trustees FILE PHOTO: A sign tells people where to cast their ballots. School board terms are four years long. Every Monday evening you'll get caught up with the top stories from the last week. What is your current or most recent occupation? Two of seven seats on the Comal Independent School District board of trustees were up for by-district general election on May 6, 2017. Use the 'Report' link on Amanda Jones and Amber Bracegirdle are vying for the District 6 position, and David Krawczynski, Kaila Stovall,. I am involved in and understand the community, and I have based my campaign on the collective opinions and objectives of family stakeholders in the district. In June, this Board approved a resolution that would ensure that revenue generated by the VATRE, both this year and in future years,isdedicated solely to fund teacher and staff compensation, as well as new teacher positions, says Comal ISD Board President Jason York. Experience: 6 years as a certified teacher in the State of Texas. This will lower maintenance and supply costs. PDF COMAL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 1404 IH 35 North, New Braunfels VisitVotetexas.govfor more information on how to register. I do believe Comal ISD is doing a good job in educating our students. Diaz is married to Texas State Board of Education member Marisa Perez-Diaz and was endorsed by Julin Castro. degree in Industrial Engineering and a M.S. Do you think your district treats its teachers, principals and support personnel well? One of the biggest challenges the school district faces is student performance, and I dont mean just performance on state-mandated tests. Elections will be held for Comal ISD District 1, 2, and 5. Comal ISD incumbent Tim Hennessee received 61% of the vote in his race, despite facing two challengers. My roots run deep in Comal County and I graduated from Comal ISD. Courtney Beach Biasatti, Drastatas opponent, said she would have polled her constituents before making a decision about masks. However, we need to ensure that there is equity throughout our schools. Single-Member District 1 incumbent Steve Lechelop, an attorney who has represented the district since 2013, was narrowly defeated by Sarah Sorensen, a former legislative analyst in the New York State Assembly. If the School Board approves the updated Hillsborough County District Map, the students of thousands could be affected during the next school year. Hello, my name is Kaila Stovall. There are ways to responsibly manage growth that allows for the tradition of excellence and student success to continue in our district. . He was one of two trustees to vote against removing the mask mandate. I will not waiver in my commitment to keep a students-first mindset. Harlandale ISD residents reelected both incumbents on the ballot in their first election since the Texas Education Agency put them under the oversight of a conservator. She currently works as a COVID-19 contact tracer. Comal ISD superintendent resigns, cites personal reasons - KSAT Brittany Soto, 19, poses in front of Canyon High School in New Braunfels, where she graduated last May. We are one of the fastest growing districts in the area if not the state. Cheryl . (Community Impact Newspaper staff), Editor, New Braunfels and San Marcos/Buda/Kyle. Texas school board elections, 2015 - Ballotpedia I am a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel who served as a cyber officer, operations planner and strategist, systems analyst, and served our country at the Pentagon and in a combat environment after 9-11. By Lauren Canterberry By Lauren Canterberry 9:53 AM Apr 21, 2021 CDT, Learn more about the candidates for districts 1 and 2 for the Comal ISD board of trustees. Zapata was disqualified from the race due to residency issues. Be Nice. Comal ISD paid for the construction of Davenport High School through a bond approved by voters in 2017. As for being an educator for 6 years, I have seen what works and what did not work in these other school districts. We are working to restore the radio signal. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, According to a letter sent to residents from Comal ISD. person will not be tolerated. It is important we manage our tax monies prudently. Elections - District - Comal Independent School District Elections Notice of deadline to file an application for a place on the ballot Notice of Deadline to File It appears you don't have a PDF plugin for this browser. Alamo Heights ISD had two competitive races without incumbents. Comal County Isd District Map - Comal County Isd District Map - Locating a map of your county's district may be difficult. The Boards primary functions are goal setting, approving the budget and policymaking. The Comal ISD Board of Trustees approved a bond package that will accommodate continued enrollment growth as well as address items such as campus safety and security, student technology, and expansions and improvements at existing campuses during a meeting on Feb. 15. In addition, utilizing school design replication would lower design costs, maintenance costs and fixture costs. Mainly sunny. please consider making your gift of support today. As a retired educator, I have a keen understanding of what goes on in the classroom and the issues facing our teachers and administrators. Garden Ridge Elementary - Comal ISD I believe I have a unique set of skills which will allow me to do that. Candidates set for May 7 school boards and City Council ballots This is especially true in how we spend our monies. What is your stance on the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) tests? As one of the board members correctly pointed out, there's no way that Comal ISD will ever close the gap between what we can offer and the private sector, but we're paying the higher price regardless, which is taking us over budget. Sign up today! Be a voice for all Comal ISD communities. 2005-2022 Community Impact Newspaper Co. All rights reserved. D. At first I believe Comal ISD did a good job of providing options to students and parents to see if theyd like to attend in person or remote learning. The Texas Secretary of State's elections department is also an excellent resource for election/candidacy questions and can be reached at (512) 463-5650 or http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidates/index.shtml Submit application to: Comal ISD, 1404 IH 35 North, New Braunfels, Texas, 78130, US If the state wants to administer and test to collect data to evaluate the public school system, I have no problem with that. How should Comal ISD handle its ongoing growth? I have been involved in the acquisition and approval of major capital projects while working for major corporations such as M&M/MARS-Wrigley. 2. Comal Independent School District Board of Trustees Calls Two Elections to Address Enrollment Growth and Teacher Pay The Comal ISD Board of Trustees called for two elections to be held Nov. 2. School discipline at some schools are lax and district policy is not always enforced. Casey Moeller 13. Comal Independent School District elections 2015 bond package See also: What was at stake in the 2015 Comal Independent School District election? Lauren joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in October 2019. Four seats on the Comal Independent School District Board of Trustees were up for general election on May 9, 2015. Think of the Comal ISD school district as a triangle. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.. Mostly clear. As a recent student of Comal ISD, I was taught to look at and believe the math and the science. Comal ISD has a seven-member Board of Trustees. VOTER GUIDE: New Braunfels City Council, school board - impact I am Orlando OJ Dona, and with your vote I will be your Trustee for Comal ISD SMD 7 on May 7, 2022. As a Trustee, I intend to allow parents to make decisions that are best for their children. School Board District 1. While I acknowledge that each student has different learning style, I do not support charter schools. May 7 Election results: School, College Districts - KSAT Why or why not? In comparison, Northside School District which has approximately 110,000 students and Northeast ISD which has 60,000 students can easily fit within the boundaries of Comal ISD and have a much denser and diverse tax base to support this higher student number to include businesses. The forefront of our goals as board members should be student success, but success is not only grades and test scores. Comal ISD, located primarily in Comal County, also had an election to watch. degree in Management. Support for TPR's Education News Desk comes from H-E-B Helping Here. At CI, Lauren covers education, local government, transportation, business, real estate development and nonprofits in New Braunfels. I have over 13 years of experience making financial decisions. She is a school board candidate in Comal ISD for the District 1 seat. FILE PHOTO: A vote sign sits on the curb at the Comal County Senior Center voting location Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2021 in New Braunfels. Due to large volume of calls messages left may not be promptly answered. Teachers in some cases are even overworked due to the high demand to meet their high standards. Support our teachers and staff. March 14, 2012 Candidates for the Comal ISD School Board including Stephen Smith (District 1), David Drastata (District 2) and Amy Freund (District 5) are all unopposed for the May 12. Christopher Willis and Fabian Castillo Dealva are seeking the District 2 seat. Parents are concerned about what is taught in our classrooms that Texas is not immune to the rampant progressive ideology that is being taught in other states and there is no mechanism in place for our district to give them any kind of assurance. An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup. We must continue to study the projected growth in the district so we can make strategic decisions regarding when and where to purchase land. Sitting in a quiet room for 4 hours straight with only a lunch break is not an efficient way to ensure our students are retaining information. I think it shows our message has resonated with the community, and people are ready for change, Sorensen said. I would love the opportunity to work with teachers and parents across the district to promote the well-being of our students. At CI, Lauren covers education, local government, transportation, business, real estate development and nonprofits in New Braunfels. Served on the districts Safety Committee? My top priorities include: Looking at our budget and finding where we are overspending so that we can find a way to pay teachers and support staff more; making sure we are being more transparent and accessible to parents, Comal ISD staff and all community members; offering support by listening to Comal ISD staff to find out what things need to change in our schools to ensure student success; and communicating with constituents. Conservative family values are my moral fiber and have guided me throughout my life. The housing policy coordinator was endorsed by former San Antonio Mayor and HUD Secretary Julin Castro, and the Northside chapter of the American Federation of Teachers. Local school boards dont have much of a say in this. Sign up today! Last fall, current Board President David Drastata called the coronavirus the China virus in an athletic booster letter, a term criticized for contributing to anti-Asian rhetoric. Andres Campos-Delgado, an area manager, Jimmy Vallejo Delgado, a business consultant, and Suzanne Kasey Lynn, a COBRA specialist, have filed for the District 1 seat. You have permission to edit this article. I graduated from San Antonio College in 2015 with my Associates Degree, and then I went on to graduate from Texas State University in 2017 with my Bachelors Degree in English and 7th-12th teaching certificate.
2000 Sea Ray 190 Signature Specs, Ruta Lee Andy Griffith, Mcdonald's Commercial Script, Bmo Senior Manager Salary, Articles C