Energy Efficiency Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Craigslist Homes Mobile Home Friend LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Plywood is recommended and approved as an underlayment by almost all flooring manufacturers, including resilient flooring like vinyl ( source ). The plywood seams should meet over subfloor joints to ensure proper support. There are a few things to keep in mind when painting your subfloor. If your homes floor is a concrete slab, you wont require any joists. I have a manufactured home purchased through a HUD sale three yrs ago. There are a lot more moving parts, which can be confusing. I bet its gorgeous! Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Thanks. there are different grades and thicknesses. Patching small gouges? How to Replace Subflooring in a Mobile Home Energy.gov states that as much as 25% of a homes heat will be lost through the vents and floor. Best of luck! Follow the damage. Holes, of course, are obvious. I SO ENJOYED THE VIDEO ON REDOING THE SUBFLOORING, THANK YOU. Youll want cracks and holes sealed with duct tape and that insulation be used under and around the ducts. I guess my best blogging advice is to just be helpful. You want to protect the subfloor and studs from water at all costs. Heating and Cooling Ive been slacking on the comments lately. The subflooring is not your carpet or vinyl, were talking about the wood under that. You do not want to touch the joists below. In that case, it's a good idea to lay plywood over the particleboard before laying carpet. He helps clients get their homes ready to sale, helps his buyers with after-purchase remodeling; often very substantial renovations including full kitchens and bathrooms. Crystall In another recent home that we did, there had been a leak in the laundry room and the subfloor was damaged in that room, as well as into the hallway and bathroom. Homeowner Stories Over the years weve settled into a great niche, mobile homes and retirement properties. Crystal Adkins You may need to use a Dremel tool or knife to get the sub-flooring out from underneath the walls if the sub-flooring is damaged or rotted. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. New subflooring, along with new insulation, will help your home last longer and save heating and cooling costs. Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? Let me know how it goes! Plumbing and Wiring Of course, every situation is different but make sure you calculate the project both ways to see which would be more affordable. Most folks think that water damage inside of a home comes either from leaking plumbing or a leaky roof. If there isnt its probably best to just cut the damage out and replace it. I would like to strip out the kitchen and lower the floor so it would be the same level as the rest of the house for our retirement years. If the new subfloor is not leveled before installing your new flooring material above it, youll be able to feel humps and dips with your feet after the flooring is installed. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. AB Marine-Grade Plywood has seven laminated plywood layers versus the typical 5 layer 3/4" plywood. Jhinust stumbled upon you today and had to write in another section asking about screening a patio. 10 Affordable and Green Tips For Remodeling Your Mobile Home. basically how much to replace a living room15x24. Knowing doors in mobile homes. I live in an old (1996) mobile home. No its not. Laundry and Entry Ways After cleaning, you will install the plywood over the subfloor one sheet at a time. 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. AB Marine-Grade Plywood - The Home Depot It should be directly under the home but above your plastic sheeting (or belly wrap) to help keep it from freezing. The planks look beautiful, the flooring is floating and a little flexible. Don't want to be too cheap but I don't want to overspend either. ft.) for around $450 (.79 sq foot I believe). If its just a living room, with no built-in cabinetry, you may be able to get by with just building a second subfloor over the first. any suggestions or ideas would be helpful>. Soft spots are less common in newer homes that have plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board) subfloors. We are in process of DIY renovating it. or hire someone :)? All I really know about insulation is that you want the thick pink stuff under the subfloors and over the belly wrap, pretty much the same with foam insulation board. Please help,I Live in Norwich, Ct and I am in need of a repair man who can fix a small portion of subflooring. You can handle the job yourself if youre a DIY fan, as long as you have the right tools. There are four parts to your floor: J. Bed and Bath I am now a retired senior with various health problems, including a sensitivity to chemicals of all sorts. They are not the same. Its thick so it has a nice cushion to it that is perfect for standing while cooking. Noted from the sub-area at three DIY Projects Plywood and OSB come in 4 x 8-foot sheets that are typically 3/4 inch thick. Real Estate This extra layer provides additional support as well as a smooth surface for floor covering installation. First of all, that leaves me with 3k worth of subfloor to sell secondhand. Thanks so much for reading MHL! What Is the Difference Between 'Man' And 'Son of Man' in Num 23:19? Can you tell me where I can get some estimates in Huntington Beach, Ca.? Its a job but it makes the whole home look completely different. See the above picture. My question is have you ever heard of this 1985 warning on the fiberboard every single sheet of it! Hi Ben, I emailed you. I am installing vinyl flooring and noticed the particle subfloor was rotten in a spot. There are basically 2 ways to do this:Installing Cross Supports Using Joist Hangersif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'mobilehomefriend_com-leader-2','ezslot_11',702,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-mobilehomefriend_com-leader-2-0');Building Cross Joist Supports Without Using Joist hangers. Lighting Thanks in advance. Hmmmcan you send me a photo of your subflooring and maybe get a measurement of the thickness. Even worse is the feeling of sponginess as you walk across them. If I have a MH on a permanent foundation with new subfloors, what is your opinion on a decorative floor coating system that is covered in epoxy? It doesnt matter if at the end, the cut out portion isnt a perfect square or rectangle. Was the project done within the budget? Avoid pressed wood all together (OMB). We did the entire home (697 sq. This article will help you choose the right contractor without getting ripped off. Sub-flooring should be laid in the same direction as the original, usually opposite the direction of the joists. 3/4 in. This technique reduces splitting when edges are nailed and improves dimensional stability, creating stronger sheets all around . Use a thick piece of plywood to help shore up your particle board subfloor, at least 3/4 inch thick. Usually, every home more than 10 years old has developed a soft spot or two in the floor. Step 4: Acclimate Plywood. If you have any questions please feel free to comment below and we will do our best to find your answer! I have googled until Im cross-eyed and so many cons about almost every type flooring. Sealing out moisture, whether from the roof, windows, doors, floor, skirting or ground is necessary to prevent buildup of dampness and mold. Unfortunately, the entire shower has to be removed to get to the shower pan its a waterproof membrane that acts a barrier between the sub-floor and the shower itself. Thanks - I added a wider image. I was thinking of pulling up vinyl planking and put plywood on top of original pressboard subflooring (as long as its not rotted). Good luck! If its carpet you will need to remove the strips. Im on disability and cant afford to keep hiring someone to redo the same job. Plywood is stronger and more durable than particle board, as it is made with cross-grain texture and stronger adhesives. Weve seen plenty. 1 thing that Ive been noticing is that even though they put this vinyl plank flooring down, I dont think they did anything to the sub flooring cause it feels flexible in some spots. We have the cheapest laminate flooring Lowes sold in our kitchen and Ive been impressed with it for over 3 years. Replacing particle board subfloor with plywood, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. The final step is to replace the flooring over the repaired area. Best of luck! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are having vinyl planking installed, and trying to have some squeaking floors also addressed. I don't have enough of the particle board down yet to know whether or not they're glued or just 'floating'. Might want to make sure its level. Most of the time it will be a window or roofing issue and the water is running down the wall. I need something that can withstand my moving furniture around to clean without scratching the flooring. Kitchens As long as you are getting thick high-quality plywood or even OSB (anything except MDF / particle board) your home should be fine. Also, summers tend to be hot, humid and can generally heat up the roof to be hot enough to cook pancakes. Aroundthe perimeter of the room, you will need toattach an additional 2 x 4 to the original so that you have a shelf or lip to lay the new sub-floor down,thennail and glue. You can learn more about mobile home plumbing repair here. When removing the subfloor, you want to make sure that you dont damage these joists. Home is a big deal and hard work . If you do it, be sure to seal around the wood inside your vents (with mastic and the shiny aluminum tape). Your mobile home subfloor may be made out of: OSB (oriented strand board)made of pressed wood strips and resin adhesives somewhat like particle board. Id get a pro to take a look and see what he would do and how much it would cost. It looks like the particle board I am replacing is 1/4" and the plywood is .205". If your joists are spaced between 16 and 19.2 inches apart, you should utilize, and OSB. The cross support of the H will be securely screwed into the sides of the H before installing the H into the floor. Always install the smooth side facing upward. Home will never be moved only torn down. Id really like to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals All of your info is very helpful, but there is no mention on how to deal with the staples and glue residue from the original sub floor. It was pretty informative as far as health concerns go: http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm, It seems that HUD changed the laws about formaldehyde in 1985 and since your home was built before the law changed, it contains material that was later outlawed. A pneumatic palm nailer or small impact driver makes it much easier to install support blocking on floor joists. But I am not sure if that would be too heavy and if not then what thickness plywood would you recommend? There are holes in the floors in different room, so I know the roof would need fix. I have learned to begin at the top. Soft Spots in Mobile Home Floors - Mobile Home Doctor Bad toilet rings and damaged water supply lines are other common source of leaks in mobile homes. | Types Of Plywood | How To Replace Subfloor Under Your Wall. If the top layer of my subfloor is structurally sufficient, can I skip patching plumbing holes in the bottom layer? Try to find the closest thing. This is what most Clayton home builders use for your . Is this true? Of course, if you have any questions feel free to add them in the comments and Ill do my best to help. Advantages of Manufactured Homes (PS If you do it could you please take photos so I could write an article about it? I'd suggest patching with 5/8" as needed, then you can laminate over it with 1/2",5/8" or 3/4" That way the extra thickness can stop at the walls. If your house has a concrete slab and no joists, then the slab is considered your subfloor. And now my kitchen floor and under the kitchen sink is sinking. If you can splurge and get the .99 or $1.39 per square foot that will be an even higher quality. There is also a composite type ceiling which Id love to replace with drywall, as well as all the paneling throughout the entire home. Make sure to keep them just in case you decide to remove the chair rail in the future. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. link to What Kind Of Paint For Garage Walls? Joists act more like beams, supporting the weight of the floor, and they are integral structural pieces of your home. Two pictures above show building the cross joist support using traditional joist hangers. Nice job on this DIY article Crystal. My distant and impaired brother-in-law in Boca Raton FL has been told that his mobile homes vapor barrier and sagging floors need replacement. Don't mop the floor, as it can absorb the water and damage the particleboard. Beginning her career at newspapers such as the "Marietta Daily Journal" and the "Atlanta Business Chronicle," she most recently worked in communications and management for several nonprofit organizations before purchasing a flower shop in 2006. For anyone thinking about doing this job, its messy and tedious but can be accomplished with basic carpentry skills and some hard work. Installing A Plywood Subfloor In A Mobile Home - Cotswold-Homes Looking forward to the guidance. Replacing the entire floor is not usually necessary. No OSB in older units newer mobiles yes. If the inspector is seeing water damage in the subflooring than there is likely a leak and if its been neglected for a while the old wood (sub-flooring and possibly even the framing) will need to be replaced. Ive walked many mobile homes as potential flips or investments. OSB absorbs less moisture, but plywood dries out faster and more completely. You can also box it in too. Also, we will provide you with the necessary steps to add the plywood to your subfloor. Most subfloors are either 3/4 or 5/8 thick. Resting on top of the joists comes the subfloor, the flat surface on which you install all other layers. I do mean commercial-grade, without any fluff. The smallest leak can bloat, bow, and ultimately destroy the particle board sub-flooring that is often used in manufactured homes. Overlay With Plywood If you have obvious problems with the particleboard such as swelling - very common if the particleboard has become wet - it's a good idea to overlay it with thin. Why does Mister Mxyzptlk need to have a weakness in the comics? Roofing We just purchased a 1973 doublewide MH and it needs so much work. New carpeting, vinyl and paint were added while I tried to sell it, but I finally had to move into it due to finances. Its a great idea as long as it doesnt interfere with tubs, toilets, and doors (there are ways around that, of course, but it can be a hassle). Several of them have recommended removing portions of the existing floor and replacing it with new plywood. bladder holed. I have water damage to my floors. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. It is a strong material but it soaks water up like a sponge. Heating and Cooling Are you sure it only has particle board (and that it's actually particle board and not OSB)? It is recommended that you have your heat ducts and vents checked annually. If you can afford water resistant marine plywood for your kitchen, laundry, and bath that would be a good idea. It's a little hard to tell what you're replacing. Probably not. You do want to make sure all the damaged/suspect PB is replaced. Mobile Home Friend LLC is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. new to the whole thing. Our years of experience, buying, selling, renovating, managing rentals, and brokering transactions has given us a wealth of knowledge we want to share with you. Please give me the Best Advice. Mid 70s home with 3/4 particle board sub floor, need clarification, Good approach to preparing badly damaged wood floor for tiling. Youll want to find 3 different companies to get appraisals to get a good idea. Angle your trowel so that you can spread the mud smoothly on the wall. Could you please give me a detailed description of what to do to get the wood replaced. Particleboard is made from wood dust and chips that are combined with resin and shaped into panels in a hot press, reveals Upgraded Home. Then replace the particle board with plywood of the same thickness and make sure you glue it to the risers in addition to using a fastener. I do recommend you homeowners put in marine grade plywood in bathrooms, kitchens and at doors. We installed our laminated floating floor from Lowes over the carpet and have had no issues at all. How to Add Plywood It's best to vacuum the particleboard first to help the glue adhere. Underlayment can reduce the noise of footsteps, provide extra cushion to the floor, and act as a moisture barrier. Chuck started investing in, buying, renovating, selling, and flipping manufactured homes both in parks and on their own fee-simple lots. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Is hiring a general contractor good or is there some that specialize in MH repair? You might have even seen holes through the subfloor. Redoing the align environment with a specific formatting. In case youre wondering, that is A LOT! How the subfloor materials react to water matters during both an open-air construction phase of a house as well as . In the image below, the homeowners just cut the perimeter and left the original subflooring under the wall. I know thats a lot of work but it would be cheaper to paint or stain the material than to replace it all. Or, of course, theres always the choice of renting tools too. Additions rev2023.3.3.43278. Oriented strand board (or OSB board), is an engineered wood made of pressurized wood strands and adhesives that offers exceptional strength and performance. A week ago we decided to remove the large soaking tub (never Used), upon taking out the frame it sat on we have discovered black mold on the floor and wall the smell is strong. I have not seen this on any video. Additions If they're floating should I glue them down and just get the same size plywood? I want to take the whole particleboard off and replace it with plywood as it's rotting. It also makes it hard to use floor adhesive, such as with laminate or tile, because the particleboard tends to absorb the moisture from the adhesive. You can see this happening in the photo above, where the small boards have been added between the long joists. The process of repairing a bad mobile home subfloor is not difficult, but it should be done with care to achieve the desired result: Lets look at each of these areas in a bit more detail to get a good understanding of how to do it right the first time. Share Improve this answer Follow Please, help me. Installing plywood to the existing subfloor is a straightforward job that you can do on your own. Also, this may be a great time to install new cabinets if you havent already and heres why: You can save money by demolishing all the old cabinets yourself especially if you have the standard cabinetry found in most manufactured homes they are built-in. You can save a ton of labor and refuse costs by doing this. These projects usually end up leading me to searching for information. Its reduces heat loss and helps add structural security to the home (walls do too, of course). This is because the materials will expand and contract depending on factors like temperature and humidity. I own a 2003 double wide embedded inground on concrete , We removed all carpets , since carpets collect dirt and dust, no matter how much you clean and vacuum them , Put down wood laminated flooring from Costco . I love it right now but I know it will be an issue as we age. Painting your subfloor is a good idea because it can help seal the cheaper material and protect it from water. If its healthy, youll likely want to leave the subflooring under the walls alone. Kitchens This is the ideal method in the subflooring is rotted or weakened in any way. I decided that I wanted to remove it and replace it with plywood. Yes maam. You can buy the replacement ceiling panels at your local mobile home supply store. While those are both true, that is only the beginning. This is a large 2000 manufactured on a 4 poured concrete foundation. And it's no where being close to being level. Im not sure if thats true but Ive seen bleach and mold/mildew cleaner remove some dangerous-looking stuff. The underlayment under the floors are a great help with squeaks and such but I dont think it has a very good R-value? Best of luck! If you need to trim the edges according to the room, do so with a saw. So try to keep at a 1/2 inch maximum. Porch and Decks Apologies! A place where magic is studied and practiced? Do we need to have a professional come to remove the floor and walls for us to replace it? If youre looking to install new floors, installing a plywood underlayment can be an easy and fun DIY project! While I want to say this is a good thing because it would certainly hold up over time, it would be a pain when it comes to remodeling. have been tenderness in helping us with our goal. Congratulations, you have a great looking floor that will last for many years! A good rule of thumb is to avoid carpet underlayment. easy to install . Over the years, this type of subfloor has the tendency to break down in heavy traffic areas within the home. They will at least know which local companies will work on manufactured housing and thats a good start. And what is the best flooring in you opinion? This is fine since the flooring was not damaged under the wall. We finally got to the kitchen floor that we knew had a problem and figured the only way to find out the problem was to take up the floor. At this point he has over 100 properties under his belt. You can re-roof your home at a fairly affordable price. When removing subfloor, remove any part that feels compromised. However, using the proper underlayment provides a smoother surface for top layer installation. I also was going to have laminate hardwood installed today in my mobile home living room and was told the subfloor is too weak. Identify those arcade games from a 1983 Brazilian music video, Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor, How do you get out of a corner when plotting yourself into a corner. Just looking up all day is a pain and then dealing with the seams (building out a frame is sometimes needed) is another big pain. Advantages of Manufactured Homes It is best to use 5/8 plywood as the most common subfloor material. The underlayment is excellent for smoothing and flattening interior surfaces before installing floor coverings. I only advise that because having to remove tile in order to have a home moved is a pain. Im a novice what-to-be carpenter/builder. The joists arent the flat floor layers youre accustomed to seeing inside your home. Tile over 2x6x1.5 T&G subfloor, spanning 48" beams. Does ZnSO4 + H2 at high pressure reverses to Zn + H2SO4? Im trying to hire someone to lay the new subfloor. I havent had any water stains, leak issues, scratches, or discoloration and we only paid .79 square foot! Manufactured homes can settle over time which is why it is recommended to do are-levelingcheck every 2-3 years. That could be helpful to other homeowners). Manuals usually dont even have them as the manuals are usually based on size more than the actual model (single wide, double wide). and tiled each bathroom Get pure delicious water from our well drilled down to 486 feet. I would really appreciate your help in this matter. The article uses the terms particle board and OSB interchangeably. Sorry, I cant help much. Having problems finding exact size replacement window 24 x 52 side by side making overall size of 48 x 52. I bought this place from an elderly couple when it was only about a year old, but they were not honest about anything pertaining to the structure, and violated the contract by removing window treatments and substituting appliances with Goodwill purchases. I would call your local mobile home supply store and ask them for references. Thats why i chose Hm Depot vinal plank floating floor. Since you are dealing with major components of your home like plumbing, wiring, and walls a professional should be present.
West Bend News Obituaries, Articles P