Which of the following choices best accomplishes this goal? brain, with potentially serious physiological and emotional costs. (African Activist) Which of the following best describes the functions of the first two clauses of the passage's final sentence ("It is naturaldespised) in the context of the passage as a whole? He does not, perhaps, enrich your stock of, 30 fed by his books, but you are braced as by a walk up, Such a writer is Thomas Carlyle. . "Real excellence often comes unheralded and from unexpected quarters" (Paragraph 1, sentence 5) (African Activist) In the second paragraph . 6 0 obj "Letting go of a desire for complete mastery of a language's grammar can enable an adult learner to strive for basic competence in communication-an outcome best achieved, the researchers note, via educational programs that immerse students in the experience of the second language rather than ones that focus on rote learning", Keep it, because it draws on information discussed throughout the passage to suggest that the audience take take a different, more practical approach to language learning, Chapter 4 - Infectious and Communicable Disea, 10 Honors English Vocabulary - UNIT 1 DEFINIT, Literature and Composition: Reading, Writing,Thinking, Carol Jago, Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses, Nursing Fundamentals Study Guide: Test #1. During the talk described in paragraph 2, the author responds to her mother's presence by C. thinking about how audience determines the appropriateness of a style, Dissent vs. When Mr. Norwood was stopped for a traffic violation, he tried to _____ the officer into not writing a ticket. While the company is responsible for helping keeping homes and businesses warm, Jason is responsible for the creation and growth of analytical capabilities at Weil McLain, and was recognized in 2017 as a "Top 40 Under 40" in the HVAC industry. The rest of the paragraph shows that the material is both irrelevant and hard to remember in order to provide a line of reasoning to support this claim; it also adds commentary linking the author's discussion of the flawed material to her overarching claim about the deficiencies in modern educational methods. (Smartphones) The writer is considering deleting the capitalized portion of sentence 3: "MOST PEOPLE CAN'T RESIST IMMEDIATELY CHECKING THEIR PHONES EACH TIME THEY BUZZ, CHIRP, OR CHIME, and scientists believe that compulsion is caused by a brain chemical called dopamine". Which of the following, if added after sentence 14, would best accomplish this goal? introduce attention that the author ultimately resolves. Which version of sentence 12 would best accomplish this goal? endobj Appeal to authority of a figure whom her audience is likely to respect. . In the following sentence, draw one line under the parts of the compound verbs. (D) emphasizing the sacrifices the author's parents made for her. poignantcajoletribulationbuxomburlyemaciatedthroespathosgalafulsomejubilationelatedobesityremorseglum\begin{array}{lll}\text { poignant } & \text { cajole } & \text { tribulation } \\ \text { buxom } & \text { burly } & \text { emaciated } \\ \text { throes } & \text { pathos } & \text { gala } \\ \text { fulsome } & \text { jubilation } & \text { elated } \\ \text { obesity } & \text { remorse } & \text { glum }\end{array} Many medical students do not wish to pursue primary care because of the unreasonable work hours. . I' . . ever adopted by nations") ? E) Tom's description of the gentleman caller and his reference to the postcard from Mazatlan. These bombs were relatively small compared to . Its relevance to his argument regarding advances in peace preservation efforts. The writer is considering adding the following sentence after sentence 6. It was a sacred object. 2 0 obj The first paragraph describes strengths of a writer that Carlyle exhibits, . Keep it, because it provides commentary that helps explain how the example of Kennedy's artwork is significant in relation to the passage's overall argument. Not a cry or a groan escaped from Sister Mary Joseph Praise while in the throes of her cataclysmic labor. rescue" (paragraph 10), the author integrates a line of reasoning adopted by "industry supporters" into his own argument primarily to., In the final two paragraphs of the passage ("The environmental . Thehorsewiththesllverymaneandwhitetallwaschosenbythephotographer. The sixth paragraph contributes to the reasoning of the author's argument primarily by. (Peace) Which of the following best captures how the author presents the relationship between public opinion and peace in the third paragraph? beast), the narrator likens his heart to a hammer in order to convey the intense, gratitude and awe at how his experiences have shaped him, brokenheartedness in knowing he will never meet his mother, anxiety that he will be discovered in a forbidden room, fear and excitement as he sits where his mother sat, determination to understand how the autoclave works, 3. adding this sentence at the beginning of the second paragraph, the writer clearly states her position and why she supports the four-day school week. x18 PS:Gj{6pI-#u3~5/H@4jXKeQFeQFeQFeQFeQFeQFeQFe2:]SY-0{3joGty3c}r0elLZNyfgk2'B,3U3Mh`V. M,?,cLh: 21nD.Yff13i2 l1y}1md`"eL" guB[[O1k/oj,8k%(3q0[Nmj` U0 #nfYc"bI3?^@,f9fHk53Pf?JPK-k=CX3lGR>p`%;;ac1i0|3S1! . . I learned later that no one had dared remove her cardigan from where it sat draped on the chair. Shahana's complaints in lines 32 -33 ("You'll . endobj To acknowledge an alternative perspective. Yes, because it acknowledges the source of the information conveyed in the sentence. stream (a) The In the first paragraph the reader is introduced to Nawab, a father of twelve daughters who feels compelled to make more money to care for his family: "he must proliferate his sources of revenue" (lines 6-7). After all, it was in the corner of the autoclave room, right next to that stainless-steel behemoth, that my mother kept a sanctuary for herself during the seven years she spent at Missing before our rude arrival. In addition, this sentence should focus on a specific issue, avoid the use of direct quotations, and leave room for support and analysis within the body of the paragraph. reduction of armament"), the author comments on the age and effectiveness of the League of Nations primarily to explain A why the First World War motivated world leaders to form alliances B why current measures may not indefinitely forestall another outbreak of war C its relationship to his claim that war is . 20 seconds. Topic 6: Ancient Rome and the Origins of Chri, The Language of Composition: Reading, Writing, Rhetoric, Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses, Literature and Composition: Reading, Writing,Thinking, Carol Jago, Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses. answer choices. Which sentence uses precise language to best achieve the desired effect? Which of the following does the speaker imply about her "plain English and good writing" (line 6) ? . The repetitions phrases are excessively close to one another because of gathering of multiple words that are indistinguishable.. . The question of how to lead a meaningful life "in a transitional period" (Paragraph 9, sentence 1). 6. An overview of the new study's claim that optimal language acquisition can occur up to age 30 and that even older adults should remain hopeful about their language-learning prospects. It will ultimately benefit the well-being of the goats, the safety of human visitors, and the park's ecosystem. The remainder of the paragraph focuses on the way Nawab attempts to Then, draw an arrow from each adverb phrase to the word or words it modifies. I rimmed the dried-out inkpot with my nail, tracing a path her fingers had taken. Enter the word from the following list that is most nearly the opposite of the boldfaced word or words. The second paragraph ("Mrs. De Ropp . E) She realizes that her race and gender will make it difficult for her to achieve her goals. (Goat Relocation) Which of the following sentences first expresses the main claim of the passage? (Bush) In the opening sentences of the passage ("Now I knowcolor of my hair"), the author refers to alice walker primarily to? Which choice best supports an interpretation that like the child, the adult narrator feels compelled to speculate about his mother? endobj <>>> Decide well in advance whether to read the questions or the passages first, If you have four passages to read in 60 minutes, allot 15 minutes to each, moving steadily. (Jellyfish) Which of the following best summarizes the author's thesis in the passage? Which of the following sentences best accomplishes this goal? (Jellyfish) Throughout the passage, the author advances her main point by employing which of the following methods? For #4 I was thinking "Courage alone could not get me past that heavy door (paragraph 4)" because I figured him trying to get through the door was some sort of effort to find out the unknowns. (Art communication) In sentence 4, the writer wants to integrate the discussion of the piece "Passin' on to Others" into the passage's line of reasoning about how art can affirm and strengthen community bonds. During the talk described in paragraph 2, the author responds to her mother's presence by C. thinking about how audience determines the appropriateness of a style, Dissent vs. The writer wants to conclude the passage by supporting the specific claim made in sentence 15 with a quotation from Eliasson. (Goat Relocation) In sentence 19, the author is considering deleting the capitalized phrase. Gradually, as I sat at my mothers desk, a peace would come over me, a sense of communion with her. In the second paragraph, the sentences "Throughout my childhood . ;c8"cBdg;Ya\Q&TdabrM3V31~ef. 3 0 obj . Establish a logical relationship between the treaties he lists and a claim he makes earlier in the paragraph. For #2 I was thinking "fear and excitement as he sits where his mother sat" because excitement can make your heart thump rapidly but I wasn't sure. Select the word or phrase that best completes the sentence. In the first and the second paragraphs respectively, Chanu's mood shifts from 14. . (Goat Relocation) The writer wants to begin the passage by emphasizing the exciting and strange nature of the events discussed in the first paragraph. never helped" primarily serve to appeal to the audience's E. respect for the rule of law: these lines show that the author's parents made a genuine effort to legally navigate a burdensome immigration process. The sentences in the following paragraph contain misplaced and dangling modifiers. xk0 ERhnth`cI6/v]'${:N0d|} ..p1G%Q/[T@EBoLCg Why did different sections of the country have different attitudes toward the War of 1812? In sentence 10 (reproduced below), which of the following claims best sets up the development of the writer's line of reasoning in the third paragraph? In the second-to-last paragraph, the anecdote about the complaining husband serves primarily to. stream It is the fate of actors to leave only picture postcards, nothing. It never struck her, humble as she, every part and remained unacted. . The opening sentence of the second paragraph primarily serves to A.) It designates the time in one's life during which the capacity to absorb the rules and structure of a language is maximized, (Language Learning) The writer is considering deleting sentence 15, should the writer keep or delete this sentence? 7 0 obj (African Activist) The discussion of the "greatest of poets and philosophers" in the third paragraph suggests that the author believes the audience of the speech will? -Industrial era labor unions help to bring about safer work environment (consequence) 9 0 obj Why or why not? bow") primarily serves to contrast with the sound of the autoclave explain the purpose for the boy angel's arrow Recognize an implicit reference to Shakespeare and agree about his importance. . Draw two lines under the conjunctions that join the parts of the compound verbs. C B. illustrate a particular perspective on the importance of learning to code. But for a four-year-old, everything is sacred and ordinary. . Responses -Abolitionists= minority view was that cancer for America, Dual Enrollment Psychology Final Study Guide, Part 1 Dual Enrollment Psychology Final Quest, 911 public safety telecommunicator Study Guid. . The second paragraph is the first body paragraph of an essay. . A central concept in the passage is the notion that B. speakers use different forms of language for different purposes. (Art communication) The writer wants to conclude the passage by supporting the specific claim made in sentence 15 with a quotation from Eliasson. I was so tired and sore ________ I got home from the beach that I fell asleep on the couch In the first sentence of the sixth paragraph, the author describes her "rocky existence" during high school in order to A. support the claim that her parents' absence affected her during her adolescence. Why St. Teresa, Mother? Label each noun as concrete or abstract. The simile in last sentence of the second paragraph (In his . In the second paragraph, the author makes which of the following claims regarding the Class of 1990 ? . Write the letter of the choice that gives the sentence a meaning that is closest to the original sentence. In the final paragraph, the clause set off by dashes ("and especially . The function of the first paragraph is to D. characterize the author and her interests. Nuclear weapons, as it stands, is the only thing that has kept peace between the opposing superpowers. C) retreating to the security of . A. workers B. rivers C. canals D. chimneys E. smoke, In the third sentence of the first paragraph, the narrator's description of Mrs. De Ropp as "those three-fifths of the world that are necessary and disagreeable and real" suggests that, B) Mrs. De Ropp is a strict person who fails to appreciate Conradin's creative spirit, The second paragraph ("Mrs. De Ropp . And just as art can overcome physical divides, it can also overcome linguistic and cultural ones. questioned") is best characterized as a (c) simultaneously In the eighth paragraph, the author's statement that "My story is all too common" serves which of the following purposes? What is an example of declarative memory? Four words have been omitted. An anecdote about a group of people who met and became friends at a concert in their neighborhood, (Art communication) In sentence 12, the writer wants to clarify the paragraph's line and reasoning and explain the relevance of the evidence in sentences 13 and 14 to the paragraphs main idea. In fact, the frame of the opening and closing sentences might bring to mind the word "undaunted." The speaker is confident, clear, and strong in her recognition of the difference between others' perception of her and her self-perception. Why this picture? -Abolitionists= minority view was that cancer for America, Nasal/Sinus, Oropharyngeal and Laryngeal Diso, Chapter 6- bones and skeletal tissues answers, The Language of Composition: Reading, Writing, Rhetoric, Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses, Literature and Composition: Reading, Writing,Thinking, Carol Jago, Lawrence Scanlon, Renee H. Shea, Robin Dissin Aufses, Edge Reading, Writing and Language: Level C, David W. Moore, Deborah Short, Michael W. Smith, IB biology past essay questions HL and SL all. This excerpt from a novel is narrated by one of a pair of twin sons born to a nun at Missing Hospital in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, during the 1950s. <>/XObject<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> (Artificial Islands) The writing is considering add the following sentence after sentence 6: "These inhabitants should leave their homes because they have been destroyed or otherwise rendered uninhabitable from flooding" . 2. (Jellyfish) In the third sentence of the fourth paragraph, the author mentions the number of swimmers treated by the Spanish Red Cross primarily to? A strong topic sentence should be placed at or near the beginning of a paragraph. Words that previously had passed unremarked now joined other aphorisms and sayings that Kennedy has printed on posters. The writer wants to provide relevant support for the claim made in sentences 12 and 13. The labor movement led efforts to stop child labor, give health benefits and provide aid to workers who were injured or retired. For #6 I was thinking "a terrifying ordeal" since it talks about courage but I wasn't sure. B.) 3837 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<53B3D5BCBBF94AB598939C650A469611><9171AE2B4CADFB44B5034F90A67B9AA6>]/Index[3814 362]/Info 3813 0 R/Length 141/Prev 771242/Root 3815 0 R/Size 4176/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream For more information about redundancy of phrase, refer the following link: Answer:d. Make an assertion that is then supported by argumentation. Click here to get an answer to your question The description in the first sentence of the second and third paragraph primarily suggest that the event "at Brainly User Brainly User 10/25/2022 and more. . (Smartphones) The writer wants to add a sentence after sentence 1 to provide factual support for the introductory claim and focus the audience on the argument of the passage. (Art communication) Throughout the passage the writer wants to make sure to acknowledge sources used as evidence. (Femininity) In the final paragraph, the author concludes her argument by? In the last paragraph, the author insists on the B. sophistication of some of her mother's English language skills. In the second sentence of the final paragraph, the author justifies his determination to "see in the signs of the time hope of humanity for peace" by. The creator examines that science sometimes is characterized simply as objectively, yet that would make a big deal about religious philosophy science , which they are not. I've included my guesses and thought process at the bottom of the post. rose") relates to the rest of the sentence by E. highlighting a subset of the cases referenced by the rest of the sentence. introduce attention that the author ultim Get the answers you need, now! (Language Learning) In context, which version of sentence 5 provides the most effective explanation of the "critical period" mentioned in sentence 4: "Such a period also exists for the development of eyesight". With a faint smile and a body more muscular than befits his youthful face, a boy angel stands over the saintly, voluptuous sister. acknowledge a belief that is likely to be held by some of her audience. EXAMPLE: Using the map shown on the next page, it is easy to identify the homelands of many American Indians. hbbd```b` AD2;`r"92@$FH9X| ViDhH@Q f6:$>a`bd+H=%G8w4Ft5J+, (b) occasionally Find a Job Underline the adverb phrases in the following sentence. . Should the writer keep or delete this section? . It is an idle, on his funeral pile, it would be only like, convictionhe makes the object about which we, differ stand out in such grand relief under the clear, so constantly to our sense of the manly and the, truthfulthat we are obliged to say Hear! (Peace) At the beginning of the third paragraph, the author refers to "those who believe that peace will not be attained until some super-tribunal is established" primarily to? 2 See answers Advertisement Advertisement 2052425 2052425 Answer: e. Explanation: Advertisement Advertisement maat2074 maat2074 Answer: not naturally inherent. (Peace) In the third sentence of the first paragraph, the author mentions that war "has, through the centuries, been recognized by international law as a sovereign right" primarily to? Hunters introduced goats to the Olympics in the 1920s. Nancy has not used the most effective word in sentence 4. ", And just as art can overcome physical divides, it can also overcome linguistic and cultural ones. Fill each blank with the most appropriate word from the vocabulary list below. -Example One: For those in the industrial sector, organized labor unions fought for better wages, reasonable hours and safer working conditions. In the fourth paragraph, the author discusses diseases in wild salmon primarily to E. present evidence that calls into question the benefits of large-scale aquaculture. Two Canadian students had consulted the Internet and found the IARC Web page. Throughout the passage the writer wants to make sure to acknowledge sources used as evidence. Question 1. Which of the following sentences, if added to the beginning of the first paragraph, would most effectively accomplish this goal? , his age,fifty two, divorced,he has,to his mind solved the problem of sex rather well.On Thursday afternoon he drives to Green Point.Punctually at two p.m. he presses the buzzer at the entrance to Windsor Manor,speaks his name, and enters.Waiting for him at the door if No 113 is Soraya., Elliot wants to write a sentence to create a sense of fear. The image of Berninis statue functions throughout the passage as a motif that, juxtaposes the realms of the spirit with the realms of the flesh, demonstrates a childs colorful imagination, presents a powerful example of religious faith, contrasts the worlds of art and medical science, conveys a contradiction between memory and reality, 6. An anecdote about a group of people who met and became friends at a concert in their neighborhood. One verb in each sentence is not correct. In the passage, the author presents a narrative of her parents' deportation in order to C. illustrate her point that existing immigration policy is broken. diversity"), the author integrates Ray Hilborn's arguments primarily to critique the practice of A. adopting farming methods to restore wild fish populations. Keep it, because it provides sensory details that help the writer illustrate the concept being discussed in the paragraph. Not all artworks are experienced in galleries and performance halls, however. (Goat Relocation) The writer is considering deleting the capitalized text in sentence 14. Which of the following effects does the "large polecat-ferret" mentioned toward the end of the final paragraph have on the development of Conradin's character? The passage implies that the primary enemy of the "beautiful coloured canvas" and the "wavering, insubstantial phantom" (lines 3 and 4 . Introduction: the first section of a paragraph; should include the topic sentence and any other sentences at the beginning of the paragraph that give background information or provide a transition. Video gaming helps develop collaborative problem-solving skills that can be useful in the real world. B) That she had mistakenly believed that these skills would be sufficient to get her a job, In lines 21-40 ("There . Which of the following, if added after sentence 14, would best accomplish this goal? Armageddon," at the end of the first paragraph? . 1 0 obj In the ninth paragraph, the author relates the story of her niece ("When my . Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like In the fourth paragraph, the author discusses diseases in wild salmon primarily to., In the sentence "Their efforts . When are you coming? . Without photographs of her to go by, I couldnt help but imagine that the woman in the picture was my mother, threatened and about to be ravished by the spear-wielding boy-angel. Which of the following best represents the authors intended audience?
Ezequiel Y Daniel Eran Contemporaneos, Blake Wilson Net Worth, Etching Damascus With Muriatic Acid, Www Veteran Tv Activate, Salvage Hunters Chillingham Castle, Articles T