Very interested in this topic. Using multiple volumes can be a good practice since it gives you more options for backup and replication. Accessing the server directly means you wont need to store data on the computer, which is great if you want to share the same data with others in the network or your computer has limited space. So yes thats the case. As mentioned above, there are more than 100 official apps. As I understand it, using RAID 1, there is no penalty as you are not writing double the data to the same disk; the data is written twice, but to to separate disks. Want to go ad-free? Adding the year at the end in parentheses will yield the best results when scraping metadata. But you can check on their status using the DSMs Storage app. Again, you can run most, if not all, of these apps and more simultaneously. Youre fine right now (good job on the backup!). You can also do that via the DS Cam mobile app. There is no right Plex naming convention, but generally, movies use a (year), so that you can organize chronologically. In fact, with the benefits of hindsight and real-world usage, Im also more confident that nobody beats Synology in network-attached storage. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. It means that if you change home router or router network configurations, as long as your preserve DHCP enabled, reconnection of Synology should run smoothly. Radarr Quick Start Guide | WikiArr - wiki.servarr.com However, each Synology server includes just two camera licenses out of the box that cant be moved from one server to another. Even if a camera is not on the list, as long as it supports ONVIF, you can configure it to work with the Surveillance Station. 6 WD HDDs were used over 5 years (4 are Green and 2 WD Red), and 2 Seagate HDDs were used for 1-1/2 years (1 barracuda and 1 Iron wolf). See our take inside. 4. xs stands for extra storage. If you have a rack that you'd like to mount one in, then you want a RS model. Ive always wondered what the model numbers meantand now I know! The DVDs are Italian language with English subtitles. It tends to offer high-end hardware specs and fancy (largely useless) features, but the OS is bloated and convoluted. You can specify whatever normal text you want for the edition name (with a max limit of 32 characters). But I agree with Dong 100% having tried other solutions, Ill take good performance and ease of use/stability all day, every day over rolling my own NAS. How much storage could our NAS potentially have? Servers with a 64-bit CPU thats most Plus (+) servers and those released in the past five years can handle 108TB per volume, and most XS and higher-end servers can control 200TB per volume. Hopefully this article proved as useful for you reading as it was for me writing it. But you may find those newest bells and whistles are worth it and then you can either decrease your number of drive bays or the series. I assume that the slim is for a box that's a bit smaller than the non-slim version. Thank you very much for your information. In order to bridge this gap, you would need to go through a 1GB switch. Well, for example, Synology DiskStation DS720+ will be able to meet our needs? After DS prefix comes the model number. I dont see this in Synology Video Station. I have a bunch of TV shows (some single season, some multi-season) that Video Station has done a terrible job of cataloguing. For years, Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) a proprietary flexible RAID configuration alone has made Synology servers superior to those from other vendors. Click Save to save your settings. File Naming Convention | Synology Community Or you can get the same model from two years ago that maybe doesn't have everything but it'll suit you just fine. When migrating to Egnyte, Migration App offers the option to Sanitize these file names on the source so that they can be migrated. I hear you Donald and thanks for the input. To ensure this is possible, every member of the editorial staff follows a clear code of conduct. How have you done it ShellDude and are you happy with your solution? I have QNAP based and they try and do to much. Synology Account You express a preference several times for 4-6 bay systems, I assume that is because that many drives gives you the flexibility to choose whatever RAID fits your needs best. I used to do it like My Movie Title (year) CD1 and it works fine in Kodi and c. but not for DS Video. Since 2020, the company has slowly transitioned to using AMD chips. 3. Synology NAS: Video Station Media Server (Review & Tips) That turned out to be the simplest decision I would have to make. I hear you, Aaron. normal i would put it under specials S00E## but i have two problems with that there are extras for every season and the other issue is there where already Special for the TV show, Scroll down to Tips for naming video files. The purpose was as the main storage for my wifes business files, mostly word and excel docs and massive outlook psts. a movie split across multiple files)? Thats an app store where you can install more applications that add features and functionalities to the server. From Control Panel, select Network. Here are the common detailed steps. Thanks for this. For more information, please see our It's generally faster to get answers via site/page search. There are several series of products: j for junior (DS215j, but SE, air and slim are also here), these are for beginners and home users. There seems to be some logic in this. Yet another excellent article. That vulnerability had been patched a long time before it was an issue. They are just a tiny bit noisier than the Pros. This should be descriptive and consistent throughout the organization. There are three volume size limits, 16TB, 108TB, and 200TB. 2. synology naming convention - crownxmas.com Specifications. Like all OSes, DSM has essential functions, such as user management, network settings, security, shared folders, Time Machine backup support, and many others. Actually Ive read this post twice and several more of your Synology posts. To sign in using Video Station login portal: Make sure your computer and Synology NAS are on the same local network. VS (Visual Station): This server is dedicated to the Synology Surveillance Station. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Synology VideoStation Movie & TV Folder Naming Conventions. Choosing the right data storage solution for your needs can be very intimidating and its never too late to ask for help. are literally 3-4 pages long, and there is also a view of this video. They can also trust specific devices, making subsequent logins more convenient. Looks like you have exactly the setup I am about to have (DS920+ w/ DX517). eMLC (enterprise MLC) sustains up to10,000 write cycles, and can reach 35,000 cycles on 3D NAND TLC: Triple-level cells (3-bit) NAND flash is low at 300-1000 write cycles, and can achieve 1500-3000 write cycles with 3D NAND Whats cool is that you can manage your download remotely via the DS Get mobile app. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/weemple-video-tools/9njrdv6jzn76. Once turned on, users can use the phone or an app as a verification key for added security. There are more than 30 models listed on the companys website, with cryptic names such as RS3617xs+ and DS216+II. 10 Best Practices for Naming Files & Folders for You and Your Team | by People should know if youre going to run one with external internet access they need to only allow it via a VPN connection. But they are all unreliable, at least mine was. Yes, totally, Mark. Also, with a proper hardware controller, you may see performance improvements during the read process. Log Manager And it come with a real time built-in Log Viewer of your naming conversion activity. Now I only keep about a couple of dozen from Synology in my fleet. That was true then. Starting with DSM 7, these features include a free SSL certificate, making remote management a much better experience. phone numbers that just ring forever. Learn how your comment data is processed. But you cant have everything! That is the concept of a RAID. The downside is less flexibility with how the files are named. The system does have to do double the work or the entire job depending on how you look at it. Learn more. Hard drives dont last forever. I am keen to know if you have any suggestions. Youll have another 3 or five years before you have to think about replacing them. I just remember I felt in control of DSM and any of the synology apps I tried worked perfectly, whereas QTS has a few issues, including thumbnail generation that did all images on volume not just chosen folders and it did this in an endless loop even as far as ver 5.0.1 if I remember correctly. It required MUCH more care and feeding than the Synology, and Im regretting recommending QNAP to one of my clients. As for software, NAS servers are generally not for novice users who want something plug-and-play. Below Ive pulled together what I believe are acceptable formats for TV Shows, Movies and also a Useful Tips section. Conversely, a 12 bay is probably way outside even the expansion plans of the people reading this. Well, thats true for all servers none can handle unlimited storage space. QNAP is just way behind (or just lost) in terms of software. I buy our ram upgrades from crucial and have never had an issue, fwiw. In the future, there will likely be new supported dongles that are explicitly approved or manufactured by Synology. For consumers, this is excellent news when it comes to ease of buying. For example as DS415 is a desk top model, with 4 bays, and was released in the year 2015. For example, the DS2xx would have 2 bays in the unit, with no option to add an expansion unit. In reality those hard drives are actually more likely to fail and harm you data because NVMe drives are usually not built to be written and read to that often. Then from within Network you will see the field Server Name. Video Metadata | Video Station - Synology Knowledge Center MakeMKV will read the specified drive and display information about the Blu . What would you advise? For years, the only way to get Multi-Gig out of one is combining two ports (when available) into a 2Gbps Link Aggregation connection. There are just too many apps. VMs are fun (even usable) but the real highlight in your article, IMHO, should have been Docker. On the other hand, using Synology Drive to sync means you always have a backup on your computer (as well as the server). I decided to go with an 8 bay NAS and 10TB hard drives. 1. Its a shadow copy feature that automatically saves a version of the servers data, by shared folder, on a schedule. and independent advice on what to buy. This will allow me to get a lot of storage with just four hard drives but leave me plenty of room for expansion. At code reviews, we can focus on important design decisions or program flow rather than argue about naming. Buy Seagate IronWolf Pro or Western Digital Red Pro hard drives. Also, generally, you should consider replacing the drives every 3-5 years. Especially in case of several SATA to USB adapters which might have the same HW IDs in the system :). Beyond that are xs and xs+ models. That is why I said that picking the number of drive bays is going to be the most important decision. I have containers running stubby+dnsmasq (DNS over TLS), iperf3 (LAN bandwidth benchmarking), librenms (simple LAN inventory and stats), and mariadb. Should the folder be named in Italian or English? A two-bay NAS, when formatted with Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR), provides data security by duplicating one disk to another, at the expense of one disks capacity. You are incredibly nice to answer so quickly. This is a huge deal, as Synology previously allowed these slotted SSD drives for cache purposes only, limiting their utility. With all the video and backup needs that a NAS will handle, having 10Gbit is fantastic so multiple users can use full 1Gbit connections. I actually was one of those loving DIY NAS servers for many years. We also expect our journalists to follow clear ethical standards in their work. Maybe you can discern what the first two letters indicate, but the numbers and accompanying symbols or random words are anything but clear. The following matrix breaks down a Synology model name into its component parts. Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Win32 apps My statement above used to be true almost exclusively. Reconfigured everything..set up the LA on the Synology side to the 2nd option 802.3ad Dynamic LA. NAS Selector | Synology Inc. It automatically organizes movies and TV shows and casts them on the DS Video app, which is available on many platforms, including iOS, Android, Roku, Xbox, Fire Stick, etc. Privacy Policy. TV Show Naming Conventions Following Plex TV show naming conventions is key to having Plex correctly download the metadata for each episode of a TV series. Oh, at one point, I actually ditched the iPhone for a completely different reason, but my NAS server has always been there. And thats generally more bad than good. I'm not the original creator of that TV Show data, however. Synology sometimes upgrades a NAS with a faster processor and more RAM, but without changing the model number. I went outside of the Synology family for the first time in over a decade last year (for performance we do live streaming and ProRes recordings are slow to transfer). Just a lot more headache. Youre welcome, Brian. The last two numbers represent the model range. Unsupported Characters and File Types - Egnyte Funny part is that using XT8 as wireless node is less reliable than using AX92U. Select Video Station and click Edit. (What Id love to see is a Synology version of the QNAP TBS-453DX to use at events. Wi-Fi 6 client (Air M1) connected to XT8 node has 40-60MB write and 70-90MB read to/from the NAS. But in this case, the accessories can be pretty expensive. Specify Geography This whole affair has taught me to have multiple backups of everything thankfully even though this morning it is now saying there is yet another volume error/failure, files are still accessible AND I was able to copy the files in the volume to C2 backup via hyperbackup. Maybe someone else can fill in the details that I'm not as familiar with. This is around 40 cheaper than the DS216j, but it has only a single-core 800MHz processor and 256MB rather than 512MB of RAM. That said, you need to learn how to use them from scratch. As a result, when you know one Synology server, for the most part, you know them all. editing to add an example of what Video Station vomits out with regard to my library https://imgur.com/a/nkQQZfm. With options ranging from NAS to DAS, Thunderbolt to SAS and connecting everything up so you can access all your lovely data at the touch of button can be a lot simpler than you think. If youre tech-savvy, you can figure things out quite quickly. More than enough HP but it . That thing is awesome). If you are purchasing a NAS you are going to want to use a RAID because protection of your data should be paramount. Synology 2022 NAS Hardware - Confirmed Releases & Our Predictions Our staff members must strive for honesty and accuracy in everything they do. That leaves us with the sweet spot of 4 to 8 drive bays. My original plan was to expand volumes across the two units and switch from SHR to SHR2, but now I am reading a lot about spanning volumes across two units being a bad idea. When working with it, you can open and rearrange multiple windows, log in, log out as different users, etc., all with transitional effects. file naming conventions for video station? : r/synology - reddit I've updated a show and added the episodes to it since it was empty and some more info so that my Synology Video Station can fetch it. Changing this field will change your Synology's Hostname and Server name. https://www.synology.com/img/products/getting_started/choose_01.jpg. https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/16/post/127155, https://miketabor.com/secure-public-wifi-using-synology-vpn-server/. They seem to be the most direct competition for Synology, but pound for pound, QNAPs always seem to have far, far superior hardware and the ability to just generally tinker, which lead me to buy a QNAP over Synology. You Should Get One of These, Ubiquitis UniFi Dream Router (UDR) Review: A Near-Perfect Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router, More in this post on how to pick a server, https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/16/post/127155, https://dongknows.com/synology-surveillance-station-review/, Netgear EX7500 Extender Review: Wi-Fi Mesh System Made Easy, Synology RT2600ac Revisited (vs MR2200ac): A Lasting Flagship Wi-Fi 5 Router, Linksys Velop MX4200 Review: A Well-Priced Velop for a Large Home. But yes, Synology has slowly going the Apple route in hardware control. You need to add the Episode Title by yourself. A file or folder name on Synology NAS is displayed as something like 12HWA0~8 when accessed from a client computer via SMB. You can run many downloads simultaneously and queue an unlimited amount of downloads. Under " Policies", click Repositories. Buy Western Digital Red Plus hard drives. This is more of a warning than a mandatory step but don't worry about upgrading the RAM before you turn your NAS on for the first time. For some reason I am frequently getting a connection failed error on the synology assistant and the router does not seem to be recognized for configuring the port forwarding. But the server can support subsequent larger HDDs. Afterward, all data and most settings of the old server will be present in the new one. But with hard drive capacities getting increasingly high, this flexible RAID, which has no longer been Synology-exclusive, is not as significant as it used to be. Another common method is simply using series folders, especially for shows that are organized by air date and those without seasons. networking - How do I set up a Synology NAS so it can be accessed by What youre missing, Kent, is why you think you can keep getting free help. If you need to rename many files at once, Ihighly recommend using the free tool called Bulk Rename Utility available to download from here:http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php. Video streaming is quite lenient on local bandwidth since a device can buffer data and therefore will not use a lot of bandwidth in real-time, but if you have 150 folks streaming *at the same time*, you want to use Link Aggregation on the NAS. Or could I use 5 drives with 4TB each for a total 20 TB of storage and 10 TB mirrored? And heres how to do it: physically remove the internal drives from the old server and install them into the new server, preferably in the same order. Synology DS212j NAS Review - the new budget class leader Enforcing repository management policies in your enterprise In addition, it has only a USB 2 rather than USB 3 port for an external storage device so appears to be a false-economy overall. Processor speeds have increased through the generations, so the latest DS216 is far faster than the DS212, leading to an increase in interface smoothness, transfer speeds and video-transcoding performance. . Go to DSM Control Panel > Login Portal > Applications. In cases where you group your movie files together (not within individual folders for each movie), you'll need to make sure that the files are named appropriately. This page actually has some good information too. The move means the servers are now much more powerful for general tasks. On the Synology side, i just have to enable LA by creating a Bond in the Network Interface section. A very important point I want to make is that being low on this list does not mean bad. The website is an easy part as long as you know how to do it. Don't subscribeAllReplies to my comments Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Provided you apply the recommended naming conventions ( TV, movies ), Plex is usually good at auto-matching and fetching the right metadata, especially since the new movie scanner and agent were introduced with PMS 1.20. Itd be more sensible of Synology to include the number of default camera licenses according to the number of drive bays a 2-bay server has two, a 4-bay server has four, and so on. Dongs note:I originally published this piece on March 14, 2018, and did a major update on December 1, 2022, to include additional, up-to-date, and relevant information. You can use the DS File mobile app to access shared folders and move data between the server and the mobile device. Movies are by far the easiest filename to format because they are generally a single file. Glad i stumbled onto it. So let's take my criteria, desktop form factor with 8 drive bays, and plug it into Synology's product list I get three models: DS1817, DS1819+, DS1821+. It must follow the form {edition- [Edition Name]} . You can also set up the NAS as a VPN, DNS, and DHCP server. But I could live with partitioned weekly or nightly backups. and our Bought a QNAP TVS series Performance was stellar and having Thunderbolt 3 connectivity was cool, along with 10GBaseT performance. In simple terms, a naming convention refers to a framework used for naming your files in a specific way. Today, we have millions of users a month from around the world, and assess more than 1,000 products a year. Sure you can get the latest year which is going to have all the bells and whistles but you're gonna pay a premium. What convention do you use to name your files? : synology It is but unfortunately the maximum number of hard drives supported does not always equal the number of drive bays your NAS will have. Pick the detected server and follow the wizard to install the DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system directly from Synologys website and finish with the initial setup process. We have about 3 tb of family home videos we want to share and send to our TV. Figure I can disable cache before moving disks so that the DS923+ is an option). Most apps are half-baked and unreliable. Desktop form factor NAS come in 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 12 bay options. Your email address will not be published. How to Store and View Your Photo Collection In Plex Media Server However, its always worth doing the maths a special offer on a separate hard disk might save you some cash; and fitting a hard disk in a Synology NAS takes no time at all. Increasingly, many servers give you the option for a 10GbE Ethernet upgrade. I cant find a Settings entry to alphabetize the titles. The following are a handful of popular apps, any one of which alone is enough to justify the cost of a server. However, the suffix and model number rules of thumb still apply. Take your estimate of how much storage you think you'll need and increase it by at least 50%. That is handy when you need to replace your server due to hardware issues or upgrade to a newer one. But it never hurts to have a server with more bays. When I look at a server, say the DS920+, I know it has 5 bays. Close icon - vdansj.simrim.it The way it works, the NAS server will retain a copy of the data and sync that with the clients. Thanks. For those needing a dozen cams or so, the cost can add up fast. I'll do my best to describe most of it from what I know (after having done some research myself before buying a Synology a couple of years ago). I will redo the bonding. At the time that I bought my Synology (a DS1513+), I wasn't looking in the 2-4 bay versions where you find most of those suffixes to the model, so I didn't worry much about figuring out what they mean. I use a NAS strictly to share photos between a group of people using a mobile device. NAS Selector. Of the many Synology NAS servers Ive used, I had issues with just one, the DS1515+, which died after almost four years of non-stop operation. Already a member? What makes the Plus series the sweet spot is that it typically has a fast enough CPU for enthusiasts with a decent amount of RAM that is upgradable. Its just like having multiple unlimited Dropbox accounts for free. Things become more clever as you move up to a four-bay NAS or larger. The software is the Synology superpower even if the hardware is just meh. I opened up their website and was immediately overwhelmed with options. Starting with DSM 7, Synology sheds support for third-party USB dongles. I didnt mean to scare folks from any RAID, just wanted to set the expectations straight. Other than the limitation in RAID configurations, as you have noted, Kent, and performance speed (RAID 1 is slow), a dual-bay server is fine. Which NAS will pull 150 low-resolution video views on smartphones through a single local site. Synology has quietly added support for M.2 SSD volumes. If youre a tech enthusiast, youll have no problem figuring one out. Not sure if the J support it, but generally, using the NAS is a great way to keep your data safe from ransomware/virus via the Backup and Replicator app which shadow-copies your data. Video Type: Select which type of videos you want to put in the folder. Before you can pick a Synology NAS you must be able to break down their model names. And I know a lot of users are crying foul about it. Like all content on this website, this post is not sponsored. One month ago the box just flat out failed and suupport said it was a motherboard issue, not power supply. naming-authority is the reverse syntax of the Internet domain name of the naming authority. This allows sorting alphabetically into chronological order. Consequently, you can only use a servers USB ports to host storage devices, such as portable drives. I absolutely love my Synology NAS (DS920+ w/ DX517 filled running SHR-2). And this process works as a downgrade, too. Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel! My servers play an essential role in my daily life and outdo my mobile phone in importance because of their apps. Synology servers tend to be more costly than their counterparts of similar hardware specs. But if you want to get the most out of network storage, Id recommend Synology. Log in to the web user interface and customize your server the way you want. What Id like to know from someone who has used a Synology NAS and many of the apps is whether a 2 bay system that can only do RAID 1 has any limitations beyond the limitations of RAID 1 itself? They are great if youre into Linux. Ill explain why I came to that decision and the general idea of how to manage a Synology server.
Former Wsoc Meteorologist, Emma Arbabzadeh 2020, Buckethead Brian Carroll Interview, Flight Attendant Personal Statement, Articles S