To hell with him! Lou and Phillip get into a heated argument about Lou's responsibilities as a father with Lou again claiming he was scared to be a father, which Phillip rejects, claiming he too was scared to be a father, but unlike Lou, he didn't run out on his family, but rather remained present for his children's lives, as a good and responsible man is supposed to do. The altercation purportedly began when the then neophyte actor felt a scene wasn't working on his sitcom, "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and unilaterally made some changes to the script . William 'Will' Smith The man turns out to be Will's father, Lou Smith, whom Will hasn't seen in 14 years, since he abandoned the family. William 'Will' Smith Are you a content creator looking for an opportunity to show your stuff? Will runs up to him to give him a big hug. Willard Carroll Smith II (born September 25, 1968), also known by his stage name the Fresh Prince, is an American actor, rapper, and producer.Noted for his work in music, television, and film, Smith has received various accolades, including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, four Grammy Awards, and Thing is, hes not really acting here much of Wills speech was ad-libbed and based on his own traumatic childhood. That happened. Philip Banks You know, if there was something that l William 'Will' Smith: You know what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. And to do so, he has to leave the building one final time. Who needs him? Philip Banks: I'm sorry. Philip Banks: [after Lou cancels his trip with Will and leaves] I'm sorry, Will. Hed get this look that said, One more step, Will, and itll get ugly. He was an independent businessman-he set up refrigeration in supermarkets-and he always provided for us. Lou Smith : [to Will] You see, the day you were born was the happiest day of my life. Director Shelley Jensen describes this episode as a turning point in Smith's performance, noting his acting improved dramatically after it. Philip: Yeah, then why did he say it? At 2:04 Will goes off script, so everything that happens after that is real. Classic Black sitcoms like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Living Single are finally streaming. One day there was a wall there again. : Will Smith helped co-write the script for this scene. Right from the jump, from episode 1,The Fresh Princehad more on its mind than its aesthetics might initially hint. Lou awkwardly admits that he's got to take care of some business so the planned trip is going to have to wait a week or two, but most likely longer than that, and he promises to call to work it out. I knew it was good, good television and it was really special.. When Will calls him Lou, oh my God, his whole frame just shrunk because he realized at that point that hed lost his son. We tried to make him not a bad guy sympathetic, explained Zuckerman, who wrote Papas Got a Brand New Excuse with veteran TV writer Bill Boulware after an initially disastrous table read of a different script had cast Wills father, Lou (to be played by Broadway alum Ben Vereen), as a pool shark who breezes into town. How Many Of These 90s One Hit Wonders Can You Name. But hes a better parental figure than his actual dad, who lets his son down again. Wisely, his apology tends to stay out of the socioeconomic implications of drugs, and more into the personal point of view of "I am a member of this family who has hurt another member of this family." I didn't know there was so many brothers living in the neighborhood. : The Fresh Princeis unbelievably silly, no doubt, with its oft-arch performances and willingness to surreally break the fourth wall ("How come we can't afford ceilings?" Posted by ; words for deep love in other languages; The hell with your father. Will tells Uncle Phil (James Avery) that he, straight up, has forgotten where he came from. It's tricky to reckon with "Just Say Yo" with modern eyes. His acting from that moment on improved dramatically. The shot frames this moment alongside the sculpture; subtly, but decidedly, communicating that this is the real father-son relationship at the center of Fresh Prince, at the center of Will's life. Recently, a rumor started to circulate that this scene wasn't scripted, and that Will Smith really lost it because his actual father was an absentee. He showed up, did this scene in one take, then disappeared again. In the episode, Will's deadbeat father Lou (played by Broadway legend Ben Vereen) returns after a 14-year absence to spend time with his son. Will Smith: What are you, Robo-Butler, man? Explore the latest videos from hashtags: #freshprienceofbelair, #freshprinceofbelairscene, #fresh_prince_of . It was almost like time stood still.. Emotional and great. The rest of the series includes commentary about Black relationships with the police (think DJ Jazzy Jeffinstinctually putting his hands up when a bailiff asks him to swear to tell the truth in court), but here, it did so explicitly and explosively. For more onThe Fresh Prince, here's the latest intel on the upcoming reboot. . But Carlton is actually, literally Phil's son. She expresses her worries for Janice "as an African-American woman" for whom life has already stacked the deck against. Ashley speaks with her sister, the oft-materialistic and flighty Hilary (Karyn Parsons), to ask her, directly, when she knew she was ready for sex. : Zuckerman firmly squashed the rumor in a 2020 article, stating the entire episode and that scene in particular were tightly scripted, citing Smith's acting ability as a testament to it seeming spontaneous. He just had that acting power that I wanted to have.. The Saddest Scene In The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air History Aired 25 Years Ago Today, GloRilla, Ice Spice, And The Carefree Black Girl Backlash, Karol G Tells Us About Her Most Personal Album Yet, Maana Ser Bonito, And Collaborating With Shakira, The Rundown: Cousin Gregs Finest Moments From The Succession Final Season Trailer, Ranked, Creed III Has What Every Sequel Needs, A Director Who Seems Personally Invested, How Bail Bag Helps The Formerly Incarcerated Get Back On Their Feet, Advice From A Finance Pro For How To Survive (And Thrive) In This Economy, Why We Shouldnt Forget About The Game Stop Short Squeeze, Five Cities Where Latinx Street Art Is Alive And Well, Travel Budgeting Pro Gabby Beckford Shares Her Best Financial Advice For 2023 Adventures, We Blind Tested Our Favorite Fast Food Double Cheeseburgers & Crowned A New Champ, How To Actually, Truly Buy Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon For Real, Were Picking The Very Best Air Jordan IIIs Of All Time, Game On: How Grant Williams Embraces His Role On And Off The Court, Jamal Crawford On Joining TNTs Tuesday Night Desk, Brooklyns Turnaround, And The NBAs Offensive Explosion, How Sneaker Customizer Marcus Floyd Is Breaking Into Pro Sports, One Horse Shoe At A Time, Talib Kweli & David Cross On Boots Riley, Bob Odenkirk, Palestine, Tribalism, NLE Choppa Takes Uproxx Behind His 23 Music Video, B-Lovees Uproxx Sessions Performance Of IYKYK May Have Been Ice Cold But Hes With All The Smoke, 112s Cupid Video Gets Some React Like You Know Love From 2Rare And TiaCorine, All The Best New R&B From This Week That You Need To Hear, The Most Anticipated Albums Of Spring 2023, Don Tolivers Stylish Third Album Love Sick Is A Step In The Right Direction, All The Best New Pop Music From This Week, Steven Hydens Favorite Music Of February 2023. Hey, why should I be mad? It's a brilliantly played scene, rife with warmth and gentility even as they discuss tricky stuff. Oct 20, 2017. Borrowing its title fromGuess Who's Coming to Dinner, the 1967 film in whichKatharine Houghtonbrings home fianc Sidney Poitierto her white parents to examine interracial relationships in a lightly comedic purview, "Guess Who's Coming to Marry?" Guess what happens next. Come tomorrow, I'm out of here. Actually, this works out better for me, you know. Instead of reading him the riot act, Will is understandably enchanted. No, he said. Lou claims it was great to see Will again, and Will responds "You too Lou" instead of Dad, officially disowning Lou as his father. I know my dad had been planning this for a long time. It kinda stinks, is what I'm saying, even when these two male knuckleheads eventually learn their lesson. However Vivian has previously stated that hers, violas, Helens and Janices maiden name is Smith. Smith said that he was originally supposed to sit at the bench and reflect on his uncle's words. Beyond its visceral, gut-punching thrills as a theatrical sequence, this moment is a stark reminder to Carlton, and to everyone watching: We can lose faith in systems that resort to violence, rightly so. Like, James Avery wouldnt give me a damn inch, the actor recalled on TIDALs Rap Radar podcast series. Wills father introduces himself as Lou Smith, which would mean that Violas (Wills mother) married name is smith. : "He kept me in line. At least he said goodbye this time. After the following perfect take, which made it into the final episode, Avery whispered in Smith's ear during Will and Uncle Phil's hug, "That's fucking acting right there. Will and Philip subsequently get into a heated argument over this, with Will claiming in anger that he doesn't care what Phillip thinks because Phillip is not his father, leaving Phillip visibly upset and at a loss for words. William 'Will' Smith: How come he don't want me, man? The most effective and illuminating emotional reaction to this doesn't orient around Will, however at least not directly. Ashleys first date with R&B princeling Tevin Campbell? And when Carlton does buck up and speak to his father, vulnerability and everything, it's simply stunning television. I'm Will's father Hilary Banks Here's the Tumblr version of events that we've come to believe as the truth: The show wasn't afraid to tackle issues like drugs, sex, drunk driving, sexism, racism, and violence to teach us an important lesson or two about life. Smith, playing a version of himself, lives with his extended family, and everyone lives, learns, laughs, loves, and grows with each other. Youwillcry at the acapella song the family sings over the credits. flips the racial dynamics, bringing home a white husband (an atypically suave Diedrich Bader) to upset the extended Banks family. (One year later, Rodney King's beating by police will spark a series of protests and clashes in Los Angeles.) Will assures Phillip he's grateful for everything Phillip has done for him, but he still needs to give his father a chance to be in his life, if he truly has changed. That year we won the first Grammy given to a rap artist. William 'Will' Smith He might be leaving this Bel-Air home for good, but this is still the first half of his new life, his new identity. Reply . Think back to any emotional scene on Full House. That he has no idea what life on the streets is like. : The idea was to have Wills father come back and leave again, disappointing his only son for a second time. Now that the building is done, he gets to live in it. Will knows the truth, however that these cops will take any chance they can get to subjugate two young Black men, especially given that they're driving a "stolen car." Will Smith Explains The "Dad Episode" of Fresh Prince, According to episode co-writer David Zuckerman, this episode was written to showcase Will Smith's dramatic acting talents, following his recent turn in the dramedy, The initial script for this episode cast Lou as a pool shark breezing through town. But that specific episode? Hilary and Ashley are heading to New York, Carlton is heading to Princeton, and Phil and Viv (and Nicky; remember Nicky?) Because he's not doing this for you, he's doing this for himself and if you think any differently, then you're a fool! [Uncle Phil rushes forward to hug Will, and Will breaks down sobbing]. [after discovering Will's father unexpectedly] : While working at the Los Angeles University student restaurant, Will recognizes a customer - his father - whom he has not seen for 14 years. I'll be a better father than he ever was, and I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause ain't a damn thing he could ever teach me about how to love my kids! Will Smith: Oh, okay, well uh, cheerio and all that Walter now. : Tells him he grew up on the streets of Baltimore. In fact, the issue with this point of view comes with calling his time a transition in the first place. Will William 'Will' Smith At least he said goodbye this time. : He resorts to buying a gun himself, ostensibly for protection. As of 2023, his films have grossed over $9.3 billion globally, making him one of Hollywood's most bankable stars. We were standing there thinking, There will never, ever, be a wall here again. William 'Will' Smith Lou Smith HD1080p WILL'S DAD EMOTIONAL SAD SCENE ON THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIRNEW 2013 OF. Usually, the director would retake the scene, but really, nothing could replace this moment. "Being Black isn't what I'm trying to be, it's what I am," says Carlton, plainly, making sure Top Dog knows he's the real sellout before leaving. William 'Will' Smith R.I.P.James Avery "Uncle Phil" 1948-2014 --ONE OF MY FAV SCENES--THROW BACK! Will's father is a deadbeat who left him and his mom flat. William 'Will' Smith Philip Banks Transcript The show begins with Will Smith at the door singing and knocking on the door. And she thinks she might be ready to enter a sexual relationship with a partner (Jaleel White, of course), despite their relationship being inherently long distance. : I'ma get through college without him, I'ma get a great job without him, I'ma marry me a beautiful honey, and I'ma have me a whole bunch of kids. Will and Carlton are determined to stop their female family member from having sex, using intercoms and interrogation tactics as devices to get in the way, to claim ownership over Ashley's body, to inherently view a young woman's sexual exploration as robbing her of her "purity." Speaking of "Will's father is out of the picture". Geoffrey Butler: Master William, tradition dictates that a clean, unbreakable line be drawn between a family and their butler. This moment feels goodto watch, and feels like a cathartic piece of permission for Black folks who don't fit the typical mold you see on television to be exactly who they are, and be comfortable in that. Published Feb 2, 2021. Smith gave his first highlight-reel performance, and it wouldnt have been possible with Uncle Phil, who whispered something in Smiths ear while they were hugging on camera: To read more about the episode, click here. Will Smith recalls iconic "how come he don't want me" scene + Being pushed by James Avery Streaming Black 3.83K subscribers Subscribe 3.3M views 4 years ago Black Press Media Group, July 2018. This relationship needs to be attended to, now. Will. Whew, that was deep, Vereen said. ButThe Fresh Princemight be the most successful because of what it implies about the future of its characters, and how neatly it closes the arc for Will. Philip, for God's sake. Lou Smith So the only thing true about this rumor is the emotion conveyed by Will in the scene. He was drawing from personal experience because his dad had left when he was a baby and when he became famous because of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air he turned up like nothing had happened. Will reminds us), and Carlton's pristine visions of fairness and equality (not to mention his wealth and status) are shattered in the face of abject racism. Philip and Vivian Banks enter the living room to meet Will. Papa's Got A Brand New Excuse is the 24th episode of Season 4. Lou Smith Geoffrey Butler: Master William, walk this way. Has this period, reactionary and transitory in intention, ended with an anticlimactic ellipses rather than an emphatic exclamation? The slimmies of summer come to class wearing next to nothing, you know what I'm saying Philip Banks: Will, it's all right to be angry. The most extreme (and false) version of this the rumor goes as far to claim that Smith actually ad-libbed the scene and that the episode was meant to end with Will brushing off his father's abandonment. Fourteen. Therefore, it is necessary for the operation of the household that you address me as Geoffrey, and I in turn address you by your proper title, Master William. On the eve of Janice's wedding, a group of Banks women gather in the kitchen, unable to sleep, to snack on wedding treats and chat. You understand. Becoming an actor, model, or performer is tough. TIL that during Will Smith's monologue about his father on Fresh Prince, it was so heart-wrenching that audience members can be heard crying after it is over. You know what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. Ain't even nothing to talk about. And Will sets himstraight. Phillip asks Vivian to allow him to talk to Lou in private, and Vivian agrees, on the condition that he doesn't hit Lou because she wouldn't want to miss that! : Oh, come on. Uncle Phil, that is not cool, the way you dissing my father like that. wwmt staff changes, list of arsenal goalkeepers wiki, west texas auto recovery lubbock,
Dazzling Cleaning Customer Service, Kosciusko Police Department, Utah Correctional Industries Catalog, Articles W