Doubletap offers a similar loading, and the LeverEvolution loads from Hornady shoot flat enough to make hitting at 250 yards uncomplicated. As you can see, there isnt a crazy difference between 20 and 24 barrels with 6.5 Grendel. Latest: Pitchinwedge 3 minutes ago Fishing Chit Chat Thai curry fish cakes Latest: Cactus Chris 7 minutes ago Fishing and Hunting Cooking Recipes garmin gt52hw Latest: thesaltyhooker 7 minutes ago Classifieds Node Pay First Its nothing more than a .223 Remington cartridge case with the shoulders blown out to form a straight-wall case that will accept a .358-caliber bullet. However the best barrel length for maximum velocity is 15 with the 45 ACP. This is a revolver round that, from a rifle, will push a 270-grain bullet to similar velocities of around 1,800 fps. Sure, you can just adjust for bullet drop. The nominal rim diameter is identical as well, but the 350 Legend does not use the 5.56 as its parent case like the 300 Blackout. The longer barrels will help accuracy because the shooter will have greater sight radius. 357 Maximum: Too Hot to Handle WebThe 350 Legend is 10 percent more powerful and has 25 percent more velocity at the muzzle than 44 Magnum. Many shooters opt for a 16 barrel if they dont plan on shooting past 500 yards or theyll prefer a 26 barrel for mile shots or long range shooting. After all, with modern loads, you can do just about anything with this old warhorse. Mag. Firearms companies soon realized there was a real market for a low recoil straight wall option capable of a higher muzzle velocity than the other straight wall options out there. Barrel lengths between 10-14 are best for portability in close quarters, and 20 barrels are best if your goal is long range shooting. The .350 Legend is no better. Using the same weight bullet, the 350 Legend will work out to 240 yards. Both work well within their effective range. I help equip people with knowledge and skills so they can be safe and effective with firearms. There is a variety of lever guns chambered for the .357 Magnum. If you want a bolt action or AR15, or if your going to buy factory ammo, then 350 legend then 350 legend is it. This rifle is a tack driver that will get the job done on that big buck this season. 357 Magnum rifle versus .350 Legend SBR If you sit the 350 Legend side by side with a 5.56 round, you'll notice they are roughly the same length. Barrels above 20 inches for 5.56 have diminishing returns and are not worth the extra barrel length. Federal sells their .350 Legend cartridges between $26 and $32 for a box of 20. Lever-action .357 carbine all day every day. Caliber Choice: Straight-Walled Cartridge Resurgence, Taurus Goes Large With Release Of The Full-Sized G3, CMMG Unleashes 10mm Banshee Pistol And SBR, Best 7mm Rem. 350 Legend Caliber Breakdown: What You Need The best barrel length for a hunting shotgun is 26-28 for a shotgun with a wide range of applications from wing shooting to slug hunting. Stop all AR-15 and AR-10 calibers with this RTS Tactical level 3+ Armor Kit. Its essentially the same as .357 Magnumon steroidswhich means itll stretch out the range to about 100 or 150 yards (roughly the same as the .450 Bushmaster). 10.5 is considered the shortest length you can go while retaining some reliability with a 5.56 AR pistol. Then Ill put a 5 inch barrel 9mm holstered on the hip if I feel like having more ammo capacity. The best barrel length for the 7mm Rem Mag is 26 for maximum velocity and powder burn. The best barrel length for a 1911 is 5 for the best concealability and velocity. The 350 Legend also uses the same .346 bore and .355 groove dimensions as 357 Mag and 357 Max. The 350 is kind of a flash in the pan but its limited. Heres why. Enter the 350 Legend. The best barrel length for a 357 Magnum Rifle is 16 for the round to reach maximum velocity. Sometimes I get to thinking about this or that, and lately .357 Magnum carbine versus .350 Legend AR has caught my eye. 357 Max -v- 350 Legend In general though, a majority of AR pistols are between 10.5 and 14.5 inches. Many owners of a 357 snub nose will swear by the 3 inch barrel. 350 Thats why I recommend the 180 grain for both cartridges. (source). With these shorter length barrels being advantageous for home defense, most people will opt for an AR pistol. It measures just 35 inches long and weighs in at just six pounds. 357 maximum vs 350 legend The .350 Legend is no better. The reason has nothing to do with modern ballistics: Its all about the law. You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers. Barrel lengths above 20 inches will be more accurate at longer distances. Not only will it ballistically compete with traditional deer hunting cartridges such as the .30-30 Winchester and .35 Remington, it also outperforms the .300 Blackout, which is also AR-15-compatible. Another popular barrel length for long range using 6.5 Creedmoor is the 24 barrel. .350 Legend is 55,000 and headspaces on that tiny piece of metal we call case mouth. Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. It makes a lot of sense in those scenarios, but some shooters would opt for the 357 Sig in that case. -The 45 Colt is a slower moving round than the .357 Magnum, which makes it more effective at close range. The nominal rim diameter is identical as well, but the 350 Legend does not use the 5.56 as its parent case like the 300 Blackout. The tang safety is easy to access and operate. Judging from the ballistic coefficient alone, the 30-30 has a slight advantage. However, these barrel lengths are not recommended for shots past 200 yards. Winchester 350 Legend After about 10 of barrel length, the velocity increase per barrel inch slows way down though. For .450 Bushmaster and .444 Marlin, youre looking at $41 to $49 per box, and .45-70 Govt. Its loaded with a flat-tipped, 165-grain FMJ bullet. Hornady (the designer of the cartridge) said the round will perform well in barrel lengths ranging from 12 to 26 inches and all in between. I worked as a 45B Small Arms Repairer in the Army and since then I've been enjoying the hobby. Initially loaded with a .458-caliber, 405-grain bullet and ahead of 70 grains of blackpowder, it generated more than 2,000 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. The 350 is a great round for deer hunting, and shooters seldom report needing to use a muzzle brake on a 350 Legend rifle. Before buying a new firearm, many gun owners want to know what the best barrel length is for a certain application. HOW FAR SHOULD YOU PRACTICE SHOOTING BEFORE YOU DEER HUNT. This is a 150gr copper bullet with a ballistic coefficient G1 of .320 at 2450fps from my 20" barreled rifle with very little recoil, an honest 300+ yard deer round. I know no one likes that answer but I just wouldnt shoot 5.56 out of a 7 inch barrel, but 9mm I would. Hornadys 170-grain American Whitetail soft-point load, for example, managed 1,551 feet per second out of the Model 350 as compared to 2,200 feet per second from a rifle barrel. If youre interested, I have an article detailing the ballistics of 350 Legend with various barrel lengths. 350 legend vs If you were thinking tactical applications, the 357 mag will not penetrate basic level 3A armor; not even penetrator rounds. .350 Legend is 55,000 and headspaces on that tiny piece of metal we call case mouth. It will shoot a bit flatter than the .45-70 Government or .444 Marlin. Heres a link to it. Similar bullet tolerances also exist for 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum. However, 7 is ideal based on velocity per barrel inch percentage increases. But the SBR is also meant to be easy to use and carry around. Besides, that is one of the most popular barrel lengths anyway. This site will have something for everybody! vs Besides, that is one of the most popular barrel lengths anyway. The 350 Legend has a slightly higher Ballistic Coefficient which means it takes longer to slow down than the 44 Mag. For me the problem is that 350 legend headspaces on case mouth (as there is no rim like .357 or .41 mag) Normally, a cartridge that headspaces on case mouth does not see more than say 37,000 psi of pressure. Copyright 1996-2023 AR15.COM LLC. The manufacture remains the king of the extreme long range game. Any use of this content without express written consent is prohibited. Eight major concealed carry insurance programs are now available to the millions of Americans who carry concealed. Barrel lengths between 10-14 are best for portability in close quarters, and 20 barrels are best if your goal is long range shooting. According to that, the .357 Mag should never be used. Both can handle good, 180-grain hunting bullets, but the 350 can handle them much better. Same parameters as above, gets around 2200 fps from the max case and around 2300 fps from a 350L case. Youd need a level 3+ armor for that, the same rating as for .308. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'guntradition_com-leader-3','ezslot_12',114,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-guntradition_com-leader-3-0');If you are considering body armor, I own and recommend the level 3+steel armor kit from RTS tactical. While deer hunters have adjusted to this kind of hunting, many of us have been left green with envy at the hunters who could use centerfire rifles to reach out to longer ranges. This was partly because it was introduced at about the time of the AR-15 craze that hit the United States (at that time, everyone wanted an AR in .223 Remington). The Best Barrel Length for 350 Legend AR Pistol For reference, a 450 Bushmaster has a case length of 1.7" and a 350 Legend is 1.71". The best barrel length to suppress is 10.5 for 5.56 and 8 for 300 Blackout if the goal is shortest barrel length that still performs well suppressed. A former police ofcer and serviceman with the U.S. Army, Richard A. Mann is one of the most well-respected rearms authorities writing on the subject today. While no modern rifles are chambered for the .375 Winchester, you can find them on the used market, and Winchester still offers a 200-grain Power Point load at 2,200 fps. Most 350 Legend bullets have a higher sectional density which means more penetration than the .357 Magnum. 350 Legend vs. .35 Remington You will still get more velocity out of longer barrels, as expected, just not as much of an increase. Everything I said up there about the .357 holds just as true for the .44 Magnum. Barrel lengths under 16 arent taking full advantage of this round. He has earned black belts in four martial arts and is a certified Krav Maga instructor. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'guntradition_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_9',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-guntradition_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0');With the 350 Legend, the minimum threshold of expansion comes at around 1,400 fps. Change over to a 200 gr bullet, keep the 0.385" seating depth and QL predictions go from around 1770 fps for the magnum case, around 2100 for the max case and around 2170 fps for the 350L case. 350 Legend or 357 Maximum Advantages of the 45 Colt: -The 45 Colt has a larger bullet diameter than the .357 Magnum, which means it can create a larger wound channel. Based on all my study and field experience, I give 750 ft/lbs as the reliable minimum bullet energy. After about 16 of barrel length, the 357 Magnum is past the point of diminishing returns on velocity. Hornady's 165-grain FTX Customs are doing 2,200-fps and are hitting with 1,773-foot pounds of energy. Making the 10mm vs 357 magnum argument interesting because many people thought the 10mm would make the 357 mag obsolete.. If the pistol is going to be suppressed, 7 or 8 inches of barrel length tends to work best, while shooters who prefer a little more range may opt for a 10 to 14 inch barrel. as the minimum energy for a bullet 30 to 35 caliber to reliably penetrate deep enough for deer hunting. All Rights Reserved. The 350 is a great round for deer hunting, and shooters seldom report needing to use a muzzle brake on a 350 Legend rifle. The velocity gains approach full rifle levels, and this .350 Legend seems to take that a little further still. Interesting length choice as that is the case length of a 460 S&W, which the law at one point read "traditional straight wall pistol cartridge." document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Winchester 350 Legend I have a contender pistol in 357 maximum and love it, but if the 350 legend had been available when I bought it I might have gone that route. WebThe 350 Legend has a BC that ranges between 0.186 to 0.264, which is not very impressive if you're a long-range shooter but remember this caliber maxes out at 250yds and performs best below 200 yards. Now, the .450 Bushmaster is seeing a grand resurgence, and its all because of the straight-wall cartridge allowances. The best barrel length for 30-06 is 24 for a good compromise between velocity and portability. I need to point out that if you plan to get a suppressor for a 6.5 Grendel pistol or SBR, then a 12 barrel will be more than accurate to make 300 yards shots and is kind of a sweet set up. He also runs his own Gun Blog and YouTube Channel. Jordan has taught marksmanship, woodsmanship, and self-defense classes. That means more muzzle energy and momentum than the .357 with a bigger hole, and with similar trajectory. However, many shooters prefer the portability of the 20 barrel since it doesnt sacrifice much in terms of distance and velocity. Savage 110 Apex Storm 350 Legend #savage #winchester. The compact 16.38-inch barrel has a 1:16 rate of twist. 350 Legend vs The 350 Legend is essentially a long pistol round using pistol powder so 16 tends to be optimal. The best barrel length for a 357 Magnum is 16 for maximum velocity, 20 for maximum accuracy, and 3 for maximum concealment and portability. Many 22lr rifles were intended to be shot with iron sights, so having an extra 10 inches between the front and rear sights made the shooter a lot more accurate. The 44 Magnum has 100-yards less effective range than a 350 Legend. MOLON LABE. The 350 Legend is a fascinating cartridge. You may see a little better performance but usually its not considered enough to offset the heavier barrel. 357 Max -v- 350 Legend The longer barrel allows for more velocity and range from the shell as well as a better sight radius for the shooter. This is exactly why the .350 Legend exists. Winchester designed the cartridge from the ground up. been pondering another cartridge comparison for 357 maximum vs 350 legend There is a Federal requirement of at least a 16 inch barrel length and 26 inch overall length for a firearm to be considered a standard rifle. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm. Safety mostly, but I do like the versatility range of the 45-70 vs the 450. Winchester's response was a whole new cartridge that did just that. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'guntradition_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_5',119,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-guntradition_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');Does that surprise you? A 16 barrel is the best length for a 40 S&W used in a carbine rifle. You might call it a Not to good for hunting. However, Buffalo Bore has a 255-grain load rated at 1,950 fps. Common Causes and What Can be Done to Prevent It, Why a Glock Will Stovepipe: Failure to Eject Issues Resolved, Which Revolver Is Most Powerful? Its unethical to shoot an animal if you know its not a sure shot. is even more expensive. With almost every type of 9mm ammo I used, the percentage increase of velocity after 7 drops significantly. Winchester is offering five factory loads for the .350 Legend. The best barrel length for a 5.56mm rifle is 14.5 to ensure full powder burn. the biggest difference for me is that there is cheap fmj ammo available for the 350. The best barrel length for dove, pheasant, quail, and bird hunting is 28 because hunting bird is rarely a close encounter scenario. The 450 buffalo bore hard cast hits anything living and they wont be. It would be easily duplicated with the Winchester 350 legend. The question is, Which straight-wall cartridge is best? At those distances, both are at the minimum energy threshold for deer of 750 ft/lbs. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win. These are some of most common calibers but didnt seem as popular as the ones above. The argument can be made that the Ruger American rifle is one of the most popular guns in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio right now.
Form Becomes An Important Issue In Which Translation, Pitchfork Rebellion Norton St Philip, Articles OTHER