Nonetheless, that is still a considerable drop-off. Have the Tigers over-achieved? Thursday night football made its long-awaited return this week, but Melbournes AFL fans seemingly werent aware. June 20th, 2022 9:12 pm Greater Western Sydney drew just over 6000 people to their big clash with the Western Bulldogs, in a figure that would be "alarming" for the AFL according to Nick Riewoldt. IN great news for local AFL fans, Waikerie's wildly popular Viewpoint Caf is officially aboard the 2023 Murray Pioneer AFL Footy Tipping Competition bandwagon. It comes under a new COVID-safe plan approved by the state government, with masks required to be worn when fans are moving around venues, but not while they are seated outdoors. Its a great TV spectacle, but its back to the pandemic. Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. Umm because you're actively enticing people to stay home and watch on TV, perhaps? This season, the total attendance number is 792,858, with a crowd average of 7410. New to Kayo? Over the last couple of years, people have enjoyed the comfort of being at home, you get great access these days on both Seven and Fox. A record crowd at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in April showed Melbourne is finally back to embracing major sporting events and there have now been five AFL crowds at the MCG this season with more than 70,000 fans in attendance. expected to be a few hundred people short, match was initially floated by the Demons. While AFL audiences have increased by 15 percent on pay TV and streaming service Kayo compared to 2019, free-to-air TV numbers in metropolitan markets are down around five per cent on figures from two years ago. AFL games will be able to enjoy full capacity crowds in Victoria in a move league chief Gillon McLachlan hopes will "bring the heartbeat of the city back to Melbourne". Melbourne brothers Paul and Jeroen Higgins were among those who paused to pay tribute to the cricketer, who died in Thailand on March 4. That is an average which has been aided by Sydney FC's return to Allianz Stadium. Even, heaven forbid, took in the odd bit of art and culture. Youve got to be optimistic at this time of year, especially when youre the reigning premiers. And while some of them are fixable, others are a bigger issue that won't be solved merely by some "value added" for fans to actually go to games, or even to turn on their TV sets. Not to mention the media outlets facilitating that trend in the I think misguided belief the football public is hanging on their every word, many of those words regurgitated faithfully in the several other outlets for whom they work. AFL 2023 fixture: Five must-watch games in the early rounds, How 'Demon spirit' brings out the best of Tayla Harris, AFL Draft - The top 10 prospects for 2023, AFL Draft 2022 - Every club's draft haul rated. You do wonder. Victoria and WA have averaged more than 10,000 new cases for the past month. I loathe going to the footy when I have to sit ground level and I know that can be a factor for other people too. 1 : There's no bad seats, the action happens all over the pitch. And when just a little bit of number-crunching followed, the results were pretty stark. It was a miserable miserable experience.but I kinda cherish it in terms of what we survived and rewards for maintaining the faith. And pay TV? But a stunning string of goals saw the Blues run over the top of Richmond, sparking big celebrations at the siren. Emails will only be used for identification purposes and for the resetting of forgotten passwords. Really poor crowd, Thursday night footy, cold but didnt look like it was wet, former Port Adelaide star Kane Cornes said on SEN Breakfast. It was freezing, pouring rain, the end of a covid outbreak and the beginning of school holidays Two weeks post-lockdown with covid still potentially out and about. Is there a growing AFL "bubble" in which the privileged operate seemingly more and more oblivious to the wants and needs of the rank-and-file football fan? The Richmond player went over the mark, giving Docherty 50. Total crowds from rounds one to eight this season compared to the same period in 2019 (the last "normal" football year) were down by more than 737,000 people, an average of about 8000 per game. 5,241 for the 2010 St Kilda Vs Fremantle NAB cup semi final. Following Wednesdays season opener, Carlton will square off against Richmond on Thursday, before St Kilda take on Collingwood on Friday. There's a level of self-indulgence about it all (take a lot of TV commentary now, for example) which is a real turn-off for a lot us who really do love the game a lot more than the celebrities jostling for airtime and who sometimes seem to make the actual game itself seem secondary. Spent time with family. As winter nears, its often cheaper and easier to stay home, turn up the heater and turn down the sound. Crowds arrive at the MCG on Wednesday evening. It was raining pretty heavily all day so some people that redeemed tickets may have decided against going - which is pretty poor form considering theyve taken a ticket away from someone else who may have gone. Others believe the standard of play is driving punters away. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Stay on current site or go to US version. The 360-degree stage consists of a central revolving platform surrounded by six 30-metre high masts. Frankly, I reckon the people are pissed off. GAINESVILLE - Florida head football coach Billy Napier named Austin Armstrong the Gators next defensive coordinator. Would have been the same shit as all year. this is what half-time at the football used to sound like. No ones mentioned this yet but only 14,500 rocked up the G last night with a capacity of 25k! This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced. The last time GWS drew a crowd of more than 10,000 to a home game at Giants Stadium was back in 2019 for the elimination final against the Western Bulldogs. Its just too cold at the moment, I dont think people want to come. The onset of this pandemic has really had a profound impact upon peoples ability to enjoy whats great about Melbourne; our cultural, our sporting pursuits [and] whats great about Victoria in many respects, so now hopefully, well get back to COVID normal.. The St Kilda great says he is "concerned" just 6208 people turned out to watch the highest-scoring contest of the season. Football fans stop at the Shane Warne statue outside the MCG. Hawthorn vs Fitzroy 1996 at the Western Oval - 10,239. Picture: Dylan Burns, Bulldogs head coach Luke Beveridge poses with fans at GIANTS Stadium. According to TMZ Sports, sources 'close to production' say some of Travis's family members - including mom Donna, his aunt and uncle and possibly his father - will be in attendance for the big night. The AFL is aiming for a record crowd when the season gets under way in Melbourne from Wednesday night, followed by matches in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth at the weekend. I travelled up from Gippsland for it. McCollum opened this year's season Tuesday night at NRG Stadium for a crowd of 68,303. The simplest and most plausible explanation is the ongoing impact of Covid. The 2022 AFL season will have 100 per cent capacity crowds at Victorian grounds. These are terribly disappointing crowds, the premiership rematch in Round 1, the AFL was talking 70-75,000 it couldnt even get 60,000. Theres always been dickheads at the football, and theyve always been a tiny minority, but theres been some nasty incidents recently. His son, Billy Wigmore, 13, was most excited just to get among the crowd. Its Saturday arvo, Saturday night. I reckon I'm far from the only person who, as much as I love the game, found the absence of football on the weekends a lot easier to cope with than I feared. Includes current and historical data and statistics by team. It may not display this or other websites correctly. There's a level of self-indulgence about it all (take a lot of TV commentary now, for example) which is a real turn-off for a lot us who really do love the game a lot more than the celebrities jostling for airtime and who sometimes seem to make the actual game itself seem secondary. Send us feedback or report a mistake on this page. AEST = Australian Eastern Standard Time which is 10 hours ahead of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), abc.net.au/news/afl-live-scorecentre-stats-results-carlton-richmond/100918798, Get breaking news alerts directly to your phone with our app, Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article, Australia's biggest drug bust: $1 billion worth of cocaine linked to Mexican cartel intercepted, Four in hospital after terrifying home invasion by gang armed with machetes, knives, hammer, 'We have got the balance right': PM gives Greens' super demands short shrift, Crowd laughs as Russia's foreign minister claims Ukraine war 'was launched against us', The tense, 10-minute meeting that left Russia's chief diplomat smoking outside in the blazing sun, 'Celebrity leaders': Mike Pompeo, Nikki Haley take veiled jabs at Donald Trump in CPAC remarks, Hong Kong court convicts three members of Tiananmen vigil group for security offence, as publisher behind Xi biography released, 'How dare they': Possum Magic author hits out at 'ridiculous' Roald Dahl edits, Vanuatu hit by two cyclones and twin earthquakes in two days, NRL live: North Queensland host Canberra in Round 1 showdown, Nathan Lyon's reputation as a great was well established, his 11 wickets in a famous Test win enhanced his legacy, The short life and brutal death of the South Queensland Crushers, the team that took on the world and lost, Aussie para-snowboard ace Tudhope crowned dual world champion, 'Heartbroken': Matildas midfielder suffers serious injury ahead of World Cup, 'I got that wrong': All Blacks star apologises for 'throat-slitting' gesture, Rare sighting of bird 'like Beyonce, Prince and Elvis all turning up at once', 'What else is down there?' Ironically it is not a sporting event which holds the attendance record at the MCG. Contribute to chinapedia/wikipedia.en development by creating an account on GitHub. And while some of them are fixable, others are a bigger issue that won't be solved merely by some "value added" for fans to actually go to games, or even to turn on their TV sets. Heres author Matthew Crawford on the attention economy: Lately, our self-appointed disrupters have opened up a new frontier of capitalism, complete with its own frontier ethic: to boldly dig up and monetise every bit of private head space by appropriating our collective attention. The reasons? N early 44,000 people were at the MCG on Sunday, a reasonable turnout on a stinker of a day. You cant take kids to the footy in that temperature. Two more goals before the end made the final minutes more than comfortable for Carlton. Ah, the good old days. Nathan Wigmore said: Its very exciting. The two teams were looking for a kickstart to their campaigns after finishing 12th and 13th respectively in 2021. The Richmond Tigers defeated Port Adelaide 11.11 (77) to 10.5 (65), SuperCoach study guide: One-stop shop for advice, research, Teachers SuperCoach secret to making maths fun. Greater Western Sydney drew just over 6000 people to their big clash with the Western Bulldogs, in a figure that would be alarming for the AFL according to Nick Riewoldt. These days, every game is live and in high definition. Super Bowl 57 was the first in 25 years to have both teams open the game with touchdown drives. #13. If youre so inclined, you can park yourself on the couch on a Thursday night, watch every minute of every game, and then sign the divorce papers on Monday. All times AEDT (GMT +11). 2022 AFL match attendances. The masts support 55 tonnes of equipment suspended above the stage, including speakers, lighting and a halo. Please enter the email you registered your account with. The Blues badly needed the next goal, and they got it through a set shot from Jack Silvagni. For many, thats a hard habit to shake, particularly when the wind whips a little harder on a winters afternoon. Mitch McGovern kicked long to McKay inside 50, but Cripps stole in and took the mark he split the sticks and suddenly there was only a kick in it. Probably this game: Not AFL, but this was a particularly small attendance. Theyve got no alternative, Riewoldt replied. Will Hamill of the Crows and Andrew Gaff of the Eagles during the weekends game at Adelaide Oval. Passwords are encrypted before being stored in our system (we cannot see what your password is). Emails will NOT be used for the sending of unsolicited, spam or promotional materials. On that occasion, more than 19,000 fans attended the game. The AFL is fearing an all-time low Marvel Stadium crowd will turn up for North Melbourne's clash against GWS on Sunday. All data entered is sent securely via SSL to our system. Nearly 44,000 people were at the MCG on Sunday, a reasonable turnout on a stinker of a day. Finally with 12 minutes to go, Carlton went inside 50 once more and after the ballbobbled around Matt Kennedy snapped it high to go through. FA Cup QFs -- Champs League Rd of 16 -- Europa - Rd of 16 -- Europa Conf - Rd of 16. Any reason why the crowd was so low? I got Sydney in May 1992 first gave v Hawks was 12.2k but things droped away until Lockett and Roos turned up in 1995 and only one game had less than 10k. Attendance: GM: Ave. Adelaide: 3696004: 93: 39742: 409386: 10: 40939: 155629: 3: 51876: Brisbane . McKay answered for Carlton, but converted defender Noah Balta then kicked two goals including a brilliant curling kick from the left forward pocket to give the Tigers breathing space. I forgot to pay attention last night, but did they open the top deck? Thursday night football made its long-awaited return this week, but nobody remembered to tell Richmonds expansive supporter base. Attendance: GM: Ave. But AFL crowds are down "on average a few thousand across the board" compared to the record-breaking . The left-footed small forward was nabbed with pick 30 of the 2021 Draft and did not have to wait long to land his first AFL major. Had a great day - the cans went down very well and I got the courage up that night to ask a woman out who I'd been getting friendly with. The 10 big moments that defined the AFLW season. One commentator suggested the game has become too woke with all its rule changes and crackdown on umpire dissent. At the time, Treasurer Tim Pallas said scrapping the pandemic-induced crowd caps signalled Victoria was returning to COVID normal. Last night, 107,000 people turned up to the MCG to be entertained by singer-songwriter, St Kilda fan . Just a tick over 6000 for what is a big club. It was a night game, it was cold and raining, we lost. Reacting to the Northern Territory government's amendments to bail laws in May last year, Senator Lidia Thorpe, then sitting with the Greens in the Senate, got to her feet and offered a scathing . Ed, not everyone's kids go to a private school with organised weekend sport, nor are they all members of a golf club where you can get on the course of a weekend. Nope they were about 7-9k most games in 1992-1994 years. 4812. West Coasts dire year, the redevelopment of Kardinia Park, the floating fixture and a recent Arctic blast have also played a role. The table gives official crowd figures only. This is pretty poor especially when a club like Richmond are playing who have 100k members. But their loyalties and devotion can no longer be taken for granted. Nonetheless, that is still a considerable drop-off. I understand AFL and enjoy it to a degree. For the first time in 50-odd years on a weekend between late March and June, I did other things. The 1970 Grand Final - the only Grand Final Jolley umpired - brought together the game's two greatest rivals before a record attendance of 121,696. And yet it's one we appear to have been slow to diagnose and seemingly uncertain how to rectify. The Richmond Tigers defeated Port Adelaide 11.11 (77) to 10.5 (65) at the MCG on Thursday evening, with the Round 13 contest played out in front of mostly empty stands. Try 14-Days Free Now >. As I've said before many melbournians are finding it hard to break the habit of staying home. Round Table: Who is Melbourne's most important player? I think examples like those are pretty telling evidence there is. St Kilda supporters I dont really blame after a poor season. Eddie Brown was voted the best player in Arena Football League history in 2006 as the league celebrated its 20th anniversary. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Just sitting there with it in front of you, he said. Even, heaven forbid, took in the odd bit of art and culture. Didn't notice it at the time but round 4 2013 game home match against the bulldogs had an attendance of 24,684. Hundreds of fans packed the Melbourne Cricket Club members entry about 6.30pm, with designated COVID-19 marshals checking peoples vaccination status as they entered. But speaking on Channel 9s Footy Classified, veteran reporter Caroline Wilson rubbished the two-time All-Australians pathetic excuse. Crowds arrive at the MCG on Wednesday evening.Credit:Jason South. 2nd lowest home crowd ever. If attendance for Thursday night's game is close to capacity, it will comfortably be the biggest sports crowd in Australia since 86,174 fans attended the MCG for the Women's T20 World Cup. Because I suspect there's a convergence of factors at play. Youd be surprised at how many people cant be bothered if they cant just rock up and scan their membership card to get in. A couple of minutes later, though, Michael Voss men showed something of what they could do. HairyO said: Swans games in the early 1990s were 10k to 12k sometimes. So various members of the AFL "boys club" and celebrity commentators paying lip service to greater engagement with the game's supporter base doesn't count for a lot if they don't have much of an idea what that base is thinking. That should have both the AFL and Seven a little concerned. But in the 80s and 90s I became a bit of a football nomad and went to quite a few neutral games (well, there wasn't much point watching Richmond then). Inflation, interest rates, and petrol prices are rising, and Australians are tightening their belts. We played 4.30pm last week against Freo thats not a great time for a Saturday night game. It took a poorly-attended Richmond game at Marvel Stadium last Saturday night for the agenda-setting AFL media to start thinking about how many people were actually going to the football in 2021. Home Away Finals; Team: Attendance: GM: Ave. The game, a GWS home clash at Giants Stadium in Sydney, was the only AFL match held on Saturday night. And yet it's one we appear to have been slow to diagnose and seemingly uncertain how to rectify. View attendance data info FIXTURE EVENTS TICKETS Australia's athlete Power Rankings: Who are our most influential stars? Perhaps. Stay on current site or go to US version. UP NEXT Nets: Host Charlottes on Sunday night. Ranking every AFL after-the-siren winning goal since 2000, AFLW as a side hustle: How work, life and everything is impacted. At the other end, Richmond took advantage of a turnover and got the ball inside to Shai Bolton who ran in and goaled from 25. And it doesn't appear to be simply a case of more people who did go now watching on TV, either. The difficult bit is incentivising only people who can genuinely attend to redeem tickets when the capacity is drastically reduced. Dees, Dogs fans throng MCG for season opener. The Blues fans were up early when Tom de Koning leapt high to take a big pack mark inside 50, but he couldnt finish off. Swans games in the early 1990s were 10k to 12k sometimes. It is concerning for the AFL a big rivalry game, he said on Fox Footys On the Couch. Here are some of the possible major contributing factors. Meanwhile, the Tigers have unearthed another star, with 18-year-old wunderkind Judson Clarke booting two goals with his first two kicks in the AFL during Thursdays 12-point triumph over Port Adelaide. Fans have not attended AFL matches in Victoria since July last year, when a restricted crowd of less than 30,000 saw Collingwood beat Richmond at the MCG. 9000 was when we went off our head at North Melbourne.. Does AFL football have another problem? Carlton led at the midway point of the quarter. *Odds are current as of 4th March 2023, 6:37pm AEST, The GWS Giants leave the field after a loss. The 32-year-old singer welcomed 110,000 fans to be serenaded in Melbourne, beating his previous record of 108,000 audience members just one night before, making it the biggest crowd he has performed to in his entire career, as well as the biggest ticketed event the MCG has put on. Football fans stop at the Shane Warne statue outside the MCG.Credit:Getty Images. afl.com.au. Particularly when in Melbourne, until last weekend, they were unable to sit in the reserved seats they usually occupied, and in some cases, had to pay more to sit elsewhere. . A Melbourne teacher has found the answer by bringing his passion for KFC SuperCoach into the classroom. Or when Eddie McGuire pronounces matter-of-factly that "Saturday afternoon football is dead". For Jacinta Dal Ben, her father Dennis Ness and her young children, being back at the G was a celebration of spending time together. It wasnt that long ago that there was a one-hour delay on Friday night games. Let alone, as those worrying crowd figures indicate, their patronage. North Melbourne legend David King continued: It was freezing. The Conroe native made his rodeo debut in 2022. Is it Carlton's year? Like when Fox Footy's "On The Couch" talks about redrafting the schedule so no games cross over (for TV viewing purposes), then in the next breath wonders why crowds might be down. Perhaps. 9,000 . They drew more than 25,000 fans but that was played at Stadium Australia. St Kilda supporters I don't really blame after a poor season. Apparently, because people now prefer to watch school sport or play golf on a Saturday, and watch the games on TV.
Recliner Armrest Covers, Articles A