Overview: Black bears are not common in Unit 10, but they do either live here or travel through on a regular basis. Arizona's current elk population is courtesy of Yellowstone National Park. Please respect private property and help to keep the unit open to public access. If sheep are above the rim the hunt could be over quickly. on a specific unit to access the Unit Profile in order to gain the greatest resource available to thoroughly learn a unit. This means that as of the time permit recommendations were passed, AZGFD made them based on unit 10 hunters not being allowed to hunt the Boquillas Ranch. Montana Bear HuntWe have all color phases of black bear in our area. In i saw a lot of bulls there during antelope season. Cataract Lake and Kaibab Lake campgrounds, near Williams, managed by the U.S. Forest Service (928-635-2633). application process or if you'd like to hunt with us at CTK, we can get you applied for your optimal hunt choices. Unit 10 ArizonaElk: Unit 10 is one of, if not the best, premier trophy elk units in the state of Arizona. Nov 7, 2021. Check for tracks at waterholes and look for signs of rooting. Many late season Arizona bull elk hunts for residents can be drawn with 6 to 11 bonus points. There is a campground on the southeast side of the Black Canyon rd and the 300 rd. Areas: The Kaibab National Forest portion of Unit 10 is a good location to hunt elk. Unit 10 is approximately 51 percent private land, 30 percent state land, and 8 percent National Forest Service, with the remainder being National Park and Indian reservation that is not open to hunting. Arizona Elk Hunt Draw: What Units Should I Apply For? - chasentheking When Is Elk Hunting Season In Arizona - BikeHike Often, we look back to the good old days as the bar we measure quality from, and management has changed so much over the last 10-15 years in Arizona that realistically the bar is better measured over the last 5 years. Please visit www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab for more information on the Travel Management Rule. Nov 19, 2013. I have not hunted elk in this unit during the late hunt. Good Luck!. There is a small permanent population of desert bighorn in the Cataract Canyon area. Arizona has two separate archery and rifle seasons in most units. Unit 23 is our favorite for Late Rifle Elk Hunts 2014 Season Dates Dec. 4-10th. I am planning a few scouting trips. Please hunt responsibly, obey all signage and have a safe legal hunt. At 11 points, 3/4 hunters were drawn. The late seasons can be difficult hunts for obvious reasons, like weather and isolated bulls being harder to locate, but they offer significantly better draw odds to allow hunters to still be in a unit with quality animals. Arizona Unit 8 has produced some of the highest-scoring public land trophy elk ever taken in the world. Unit 10 is surrounded by the Hualapai reservation on the west side, the Havasupai reservation on the northwest corner, and Unit 9 to the north. Bulls prefer different habitat types during the late season tending toward secluded, isolated, and topographically rugged locations and many of the biggest bulls live in places where they cannot be reasonably hunted. I have several friends who hunt az as non residents.. they all say that as a rule, the Arizona resident elk hunters aren't the varsity team of elk hunters.. Unit 10 is close to us and we love the country there. Don't miss out on your opportunity to chase giants, visit the Arizona Game & Fish Department website and select "Apply for a Draw." For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. For many new hunters, getting in the field is often the highest consideration. However, if they are below the rim, things get interesting. 1 Report post Posted September 11, 2018 On 9/11/2018 at 1:07 PM, varnco said: Even as a resident of the state of Arizona it can take anywhere from 11 to 24 bonus points to get a tag. Good luck and happy hunting. There are a lot of road hunters in that unit with a lot of tags and cold weather. Much of the Unit is part of a ranch (Boquillias) that limits off road use. You just never can tell Elk are very vocal year round if you ever listen to a herd of cows that are not being bothered you will hear alot of cow talk. Are you after a particular size elk or is the opportunity to hunt more important? As a result of the higher success rates draw odds are lower. PO Box 250 The best time to hunt lions is on fresh snow, but hunters with good dogs can work lions on dry ground as well. Find tanks and look for tracks. . Make sure proper care is taken with meat. Location. He has 40 or 80 acres up there. Overview: Mule deer occur unit-wide with the exception of wide-open grassland areas. Good boots and good optics. I drew it this year and when I started researching, thats almost all I've been reading. ; south and east along Airpark Rd. Arizona Unit 10 late rifle - 24hourcampfire In 2022, it will offer a muzzleloader hunt and not a rifle hunt. Someone elses hunt of a lifetime hangs in the balance. Patience allows for higher probabilities of drawing "trophy" quality hunts. Javelina Arizona 3A/3C Late Rifle Elk | Long Range Hunting Forum Super bummed I can't hunt this year! Population densities range from low-to-medium with the higher densities generally occurring in the Williams corner and the Aubrey Cliffs areas. I will be there helping my dad hopefully harvest his first elk. M. micky OP. If you can, get in early and glass, glass, glass. If you are at the upper end of these point ranges always consider changing your draw strategy to a higher quality hunt choice, such as early archery. The good news is that you can base right from where you park and hike into more inaccessible areas and find good elk. Driftwood Canyon, Disquiba Canyon, and the main stem of Cataract Canyon itself as far south as the area around the Carlson Pothole catchment are the best locations. M. Scouting is important for hunting javelina in this unit. Species Information. Elk Antler VectorRead more about our Trophy >Whitetail breeding methods. The 2022 Arizona Elk Draw Deadline is February 8th. Besides the genetics, Unit 10 is very easy to hunt. FORLOH AllClima Softshell and AllClima Stretch Woven Pant Review. This unit has all the right ingredients for growing giant bulls and unit 10 should always be very high on your list of the best Arizona units to apply for elk in. Good exercise for them, plus I want his boy to see what we are getting into. For season dates, review the 2022 Pronghorn and Elk Regulations. I got off the road alot in unit 10 3 years ago. You must log in or register to reply here. If you are into early season elk hunting , unit 23 can be a fantastic hunt due to bulls competing with each other for limited numbers of cows. Elevations run near 5,500 to 7,000 across most of the unit. There is a catch however. The area north and west of Round Mountain, Bishop Lake, Long Point, Paradise Ridge, and Cataract Canyon are all in this category. We wouldnt say 2022 was a banner year, but it was definitely better than average with plenty of 350"+ bulls hitting the dirt. Some are a couple miles across hike into these areas before daylight and you will usually find the herds in there feeding. What exactly you are looking for when it comes to an elk hunt is Arizona? Unit 10 - Arizona Species Information Antelope Overview: If you want to hunt a record-book antelope, this is the place. We guide in most elk units in central, eastern, and northern Arizona. Arizona Unit 10 Late Elk Hunt Report - Rokslide Forum Our preferred UNITS LIST is below UNITS:1,3A,3C,5A,5BN,5BS,6A,7W,7E,8,9,10,22,23,27 "LIMITED OPPORTUNITY" UNITS: 17A,17B,18A,18B,19A,19B,20A,20C APPLICATION PERIOD DEADLINE IS 2ND TUESDAY OF FEBRUARY Book Your Elk Hunt Trophy Elk Hunting in Arizona with Big Chino Outfitters Most of the unit is private property that is open to public access, but closed to off-road travel. Scouting is important. AZ Unit 3c Elk | Long Range Hunting Forum Antelope are sometimes found in areas of relatively dense juniper cover. Thanks. We never hunted this unit or this type of cow hunt (700+ tags). These are the best areas to hunt if you want to see deer and have a chance of harvesting one. There are a few whitetails scattered across the unit and they are legal game during the general season as well as during archery hunts. Shadows under pinion and junipers? The spot I'm referring to is directly below the above described campground. There are trade offs for each and every situation. We are targeting mature 300"-350" bulls, and larger bulls may be available in our top areas when conditions are right. Quality in general if you look at the last five years is up and looking good, although for those who are still looking back to 10+ years ago and comparing, quality is still down from then. . Parents and adult helpers, please note: due to lack of experience youth hunters are more apt to make mistakes. In many cases seasoned hunters have far more specific considerations to evaluate. Don't miss out on your opportunity to chase giants, visit the Arizona Game & Fish Department website and select ". . Unit 10 Cow Elk - CouesWhitetail.com Discussion forum Since I was planning on an Arizona move I had been . Overview: Units 8 and 10 are hunted on the same permit both spring and fall. How to uncover hidden gem Arizona elk areas. Dedicated hunters who put in their time will locate mature bucks. While there is always a punchers chance at turning up a giant in the rest of the units throughout Arizona, most have been slowly digressing in quality and 340"+ bulls are becoming very hard to find. The trophy elk genetics that are found here are some of the finest to be found in the world. Search our database of Arizona Elk guided opportunities. We will ensure that you make the most of your long-awaited Unit 10 elk tag and provide you with a successful and enjoyable professional trophy elk hunting experience. Arizona - Unit 6A Elk - Arizona DIY Hunts For someone in this category, I'd suggest easier to draw hunts like mid-tier early archery or late rifle and I would avoid any of the unusual or limited-opportunity hunts. Therefore, permits have been cut drastically. Research the latest Arizona Elk Hunting Draw Odds and Harvest Data for Unit 10. Calling, glassing, and sitting at water holes are the preferred methods of hunting turkey in this unit. Sometimes I see them all day and then sometimes it takes days to see one. Come join the discussion about safety, gear, tips, tricks, optics, gunsmithing, reviews, reports, accessories, classifieds, and more! When elk are located at a distance, aggressive hunting tactics are likely in order. In Arizona, snowy weather is a two-edged sword. Previous advice I've been given is that by October they'll not be bugling, will be spooked and looking for sanctuary areas to hide. Remember that." The current Pope & Young world record elk (typical) came out of Arizona Unit 10 and was produced by us here at Arizona Elk Outfitters LLC. We will be over by round mountain if that matters. Apr 7, 2021. The Bo side of the unit wasn't what I was expecting mainly rolling hills, a lot of juniper and SOME juniper/pinon mix. We have some of the best exclusive private land elk hunting opportunities available in Arizona. it is very flat for an elk unit in AZ, very few remote canyons. What is your experience level with hunting elk? Never leave home without your lion tag; sooner or later you will run into one. The draw back to these hunts comes in the form of hunter success, which is very low.