I fell in love I tried your sauce and it is good.Posted Fri, Aug 17 2018 8:50AM, Danny Griffin Lots of great ideas here but I would like to add that Eastern NC BBQ is made from the whole hog and Lexington Style BBQ is only from the pork shoulder. Most famous is Maurice's. This 'Carolina Tang' sauce is awesome regardless of a little tomato included. For some reason it didn't occur to me to look for "liver pudding" rather than "livermush," even though Neese's (one of the favorite brands I recall eating) always called theirs liver pudding.I'm going to make some today, which will delight my daughter (and horrify my wife, who wasn't brought up on it.) I smoke my own pork butts for pulled pork about 14-18 hours, and I think it's better than anything I can get locally. if i had 2 working arms, i be doing all kinds of things with porkbut, nooo any way, hope everyone had a great holiday!Posted Sat, Jan 2 2016 4:06PM, ann btw, from now on, bacon fat is where it's at when i roast pork. I also tend to use turbinado or demerara sugar rather than white.Posted Sun, Feb 3 2013 9:30PM, Danielle Tried this sauce and loved it.THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING IT! There I learned, without a doubt, just how well dressed up vinegar could enhance the flavor of barbecued pork. A Fine Swine BBQ is once again selling its smoked and pulled meats from its food truck on the east side of the river in the St. Louis metro area. I followed the recipe that you gave and it is super yummy. Posted Tue, May 7 2013 8:27AM, darren Just made your sauce last nite and added tablespoon of honey deliciousPosted Mon, May 27 2013 9:53AM, Fred NOT an eastern NC BBQ sauce. Great sauce even if a NY'orker developed it. The ingredients were based on items readily available on the farm and in the early 1900s for most that was brown sugar. All others are commonly referred to as Lexington style, but if you ask anyone living in the east we just call it wrong.Apple Cider Vinegar, Crush Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Salt, and Sugar. Ingredients 1 quart French's yellow mustard 2 tsp cayenne Unless otherwise noted, all recipes have been created by copykat.com. Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue. They were crazy good after a two week soak in this sauce!Posted Sat, Apr 2 2016 5:43PM, Phyllis Harwell High I.was born in Asheville, dad from Lincolnton, but raised in D.C., now in CA. . Barbecue Sauce Recipe: North Carolina Vinegar Sauce This is still a thin sauce, but not as thin as eastern NC style. 2023 Joshua Bousel, All rights reserved. PawPaw's NEW Homemade Wine Recipe ! - YouTube Shorties Pizza & Grinders - Bbq Grinder You're right that sauces with a lot of sugar, like most rib sauces, would burn if used throughout the cooking process, but the small amount in a basting sauce does OK, especially considering the temperature on a long cook will probably be less than 250 degrees.Posted Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:18AM, Hoss I have been using this sauce for years. Green peppers, chopped fine (4 oz.) As a NORTH Alabama product, we I suppose have copied the East side of the Carolina and do the "no ketchup/just vinegar and spices" alteration, 'til it come to the REAL hot stuffthen there is the butter base, and enough red pepper extract/mixes that will light the furnace. They have individual packets at Chik-Filet, I think. So after much deliberation, I bought Chulula. Pork was cooked for about 18 hours and the chefs were in the back, chopping it up with cleavers. Swineapple Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network Others want pinto beans on the side, or greens. Thanks so much!Posted Thu, Apr 9 2020 7:37AM, Kirsten My Dad lived many years in Winston Salem and for years tried to find the best sauce that mimicks the 'cue from that area. In Atlanta it can be found in Ingles groceries. I am doing VA BBQ and NC BBQ in a few days - do you know how many lbs of pork are seasoned by 2 cups. The only sauce fit to eat in GA is mine and that is because i am from Raleigh NC! The key thing was the flavor of the free range hogs the came first and foremost. Tabasco? The further east or west you go the more extreme to their sauce they will tend to.Posted Wed, Dec 6 2017 1:45PM, Dick T Born and raised in W-S, NC. Original Sauce - City Barbeque Got some pork cooking right now!Posted Wed, Jul 22 2015 3:24PM, Roger W I have lived in NC all my life, do many BBQ competitions all over the U.S., catered my fair share and have cooked everything from rabbit to bear to deer and back again, over open pits, closed pits, grills and smokers.North Carolina actually has 3 types of sauces which are:Eastern Western and:Lexington StyleTo suggest that mustard sauce is one of our sacred sauces is blasphemy!! In fact, my second favorite vinegar sauce recipe comes from a cousin of mine and it contains sugar and ketchup. BBQ Chicken: Ros, White Zinfandel, Gewrztraminer, Off-Dry Riesling. GET OVER IT! Stamey's in Greensboro has a similar slaw, and I love the que there.Allen & Son's near Chapel Hill recently closed also. It is all good. Pour the contents of the skillet over the pork in the slow cooker. They just didn't tell you about it.For my finishing Piedmont sauce I don't use any ketchup - I prefer tomato paste a little roasted garlic.I don't use anything with high fructose corn syrup which most ketchup includes. There was a newcomer near here a few years ago that claimed to be KC style. What I referred to for years as roast beef with enchilada sauce. City BBQ Menu Prices | All Menu Price This looks like a great recipe, sans tomatoes. Posted Sun, Feb 4 2018 5:17PM, Dick T Cheri, obviously we cannot use quotation marks on this site. $8.05 Pulled Pork Now back to that 8lb. Swig & Swine's Banana Pudding Recipe - Destination BBQ East Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce and Mop Recipe - Meathead's AmazingRibs.com I discovered Carolina Sauce in 2013, and my taste has been changed forever away from tomato based sauce. Thank you. Posted Sat, Feb 6 2016 2:39PM, Celestine I have hit the mother lode with this NC boba sauce recipe. I am going to try making this for him and then slow cook a pork butt for pulled pork for tomorrow. Thanks so much-it's a Keeper! 1 tablespoon brown sugar. I made this in a crock pot for a bar crowd, and everyone loved it. I sure miss those BBQ,s with them at the pig cooker.., n this recipe is a dead ringer for theirs! I miss pork.Posted Tue, Aug 3 2010 11:18AM, Josh @Wilfred Reinke Thanks! Go. LowCo Barbeque Sauce - City Barbeque I know that stuff had to have been cooked in smoke and it was delicious but smoke flavor was missing. Franks hot sauce? Add a little ketchup to it and it is similar to A&M to me. Pour over cabbage and mix well. Of course smoked pork is going to have a better flavor than one cooked in a gas pig cooker. Your sauce looks and sounds great, thank you for sharing. Serious Eaters let me know it in no uncertain terms. Try it and tell me what you thinkPosted Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:51PM, ken benson (kinny binson) my parents owned restaurants for 35 years my daddy's family is originally from benson, nc. This is why you remain in the best website to look the incredible book to have. Bills BBQ( God rest his soul) and Parkers BBQ. Hop forward, low malt . Located within Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, Tennessee, visitors can . butt that's slow cookin' in the oven. I'm from NC born and raised right by lexington and this is far hotter than anything iv ever had. I, as well as a couple of my siblings think that we inherited our father's cooking gene. Also putting texas Pete is basically pointless if you actually understand how to season things. $14.39 +. I have seen the recipe made in 5 gallow bucket with chicken dipped and the cooked/marinade over block fire pit.Posted Tue, Jun 11 2013 3:02PM, John McClancy As a son of tobacco road and traveling consultant, I visit and write reviews of BBQ houses all the time. We went to Albemarle, NC to Whispering Pines Restaurant for BBQ. I have lived in NC for over 50 years and have enjoyed pork BBQ all over the state. At home, I braise pork shoulders in a crock pot with milk and garlic cloves. Posted Mon, Jul 6 2015 10:57PM, TK The argument over sauce reminds me of the Woody Allen movie "Radio Days" where his parents argue heatedly over the Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean -- which ocean is better? Read the article. Still, it looks pretty good and, sans the ketchup, pretty close to authentic. Posted Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:43PM, Maggie Hello there, just emailing from Glasgow, Scotland as I have just 'boiled', yes boiled some pork and it looks a bit on the pale side and lacking in taste although I did put in a few carrots, onions, bay leaf etc., Anyway rather than have it with plain old gravy I noticed your receipt, liked the sound of it and have made it. After reading through ALL of the comments here I've decided to add a little garlic and possibly a bit of sugar but that's it.Thanks for all the comments! City Barbeque City Barbeque - Swine Wine Sauce. Im amazed so many things are called Texas this and Texas that and they aren't at all Texan. Will be my new goto pulled pork sauce base (personal touches are what makes it your own).Thanks Ben!Posted Sun, May 3 2015 6:00PM, kellee It was awfull ! My late father-in-law's institutional wholesale company used to sell to a lot of bbq restaurants of all sizes. Welcome to 'the melting pot'. Grilled Salmon: Chardonnay, White Rioja, Viognier, Marsanne-Blends and even lighter-bodied Beaujolais or Pinot Noir. I was on vacation in OBX last week and had my first ENC BBQ in years, it was heavenly.So tonight I'm craving it and while I don't have a smoker, I have a few kitchen tricks up my sleeve so I looked up sauce recipes since I haven't made any in over five years. )Cracks me up when the Know-it-All's have to rescue everyone from themselves and explain the rules of BBQ. Once cool, de-bone and chop the meat finely and set aside. is the same thing, just dialed up a notch.Eat what you like, enjoy the sauce you make, and appreciate the common ground we DO share: that barbecue is one of life's great joys. The best place to get a good ole southern dinner, the pork was delish and so was the rest of the chicken, hush puppies and so on and so on. I even make a big batch at Christmas for gifts. It was very refreshing, even without being the lightest beer. Contact me at sp4369@sccoast.net and I will tell you what I think the secret is. Just wondering because I love following the comments on this blog! I can't put my finger on it, but something is wrong. added half a bag of brown sugar a lot of ketchup and a cup water and strained out the red pepper just to make it edible.Posted Thu, Apr 2 2015 4:10AM, p3orion A Says-I know some folks have less tolerance for pepper heat, and there's no accounting for taste, but wouldn't it have been easier just to start over?Posted Thu, Apr 2 2015 9:06AM, carpetbagger This is NOT "NC pepper vinegar sauce". The recipe would be easy to scale up as needed. City Barbeque Calories and Nutrition Information. Page 1 The flour dipping gives it a nice crispy, golden finish. Currently there is no recipe available for City Barbeque Swine Wine Sauce, however here are some other copycat recipes you might be interested in: Golden Corral Seafood Salad Recipe Golden Corral Pot Roast Recipe Jack In The Box Garlic Herb Chicken Recipe City Barbeque Deals & Coupons We BBQ'd a whole hog at least 3-4 times per year and smaller parts in between. A lot of places I've been to offer either, I prefer shredded. All-natural chicken breast, filleted by hand and served on a bun. This needs to be so tangy it hurts your nose to smell it. $10.79 +. That was long before buffalo wings were invented in Buffalo, New York some time in the '60s, with another couple of decades before they caught on nationwide. Keeps forever.Posted Sat, Oct 7 2017 6:29PM, p3orion James, thanks for posting your red slaw recipe; I've been looking for a good one. I certainly can't understand the vitriolic denigrations from people who won't try anything new ever. To distilled vinegar, Red Swine Wine adds tomato paste, sugar, salt and spices to create their City Barbeque and Catering The Best Barbeque in the City https://www.citybbq.com/ Hadn't been to E NC in a while and wanted a little taste to show wife what it was like She is from TX and I'm from SC (mustard based)I'm hoping she likes it but I've already tasted and it is awesome, despite the no ketchup critics.Thanks for the research and posting recipe. Born from a historic recipe that was resurrected in 1987, Yuengling Traditional Lager is a true classic. Contactless delivery and your first delivery or pickup order is free! At this booth, wine drinkers can snag the Rombauer Zinfandel for $9.50. Texas Pete, or Frank's, never Tabasco. Lol But I fixed yours and it was tasty. But as you reach west of Raleigh, like Greensboro and Winston Salem the sauce starts having ketchup added. She would use whatever pork she had on hand. Mellowed it out some for my taste buds that love hot but can't handle too hot anymore. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire kingdom by given me their email. I have tried many of Josh's recipes and they are Awesome, he goes where the BBQ 'masters' or so you call yourselves are too afraid to alter tradition. What's set a few people off is Josh's apparent blasphemy in calling a very good sauce that happens to include a tiny bit of ketchup an "eastern NC sauce." Tennessee, what have you done for me lately? Carefully pour in red wine and simmer for a minute or two. Bourbon (more than just a little too) makes a nice flavor profile too.Posted Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:15PM, Like 'em with and without ketchup Grew up in NC between Raleigh and Wilson in a small rural area near Middlesex. "Where did I get this recipe? Swine Wine Punch - Spiked Cheerwine Punch Recipe Scott's is a traditional Eastern NC sauce made in Goldsboro, which is the heart of ENC BBQ country. I love Carolina sauce as a finishing sauce for pulled pork. And it could even be credibly argued that smoking a brisket and ending up with an edible product takes more finesse (and perhaps, more skill) than does a more forgiving piece of meat like a pork shoulder.But suffice it to say that the much-revered Davy Crockett, though he died at the Alamo, originally came from Tennessee, and would quite likely have agreed with ME!Posted Tue, Oct 18 2016 4:50PM, Nicole Kaldahl Hahahaha I hate to chime in, but I was told I came across as "smug" when I said "Texas" to a man that asked where I was from in a hotel lobby. City Barbeque - Swine Wine Sauce calories, carbs & nutrition facts I tried Josh's in an emergency and to no surprise it works! for those of you that insist ketchup is taboo in eastern nc. Although not quite pitch perfect, this recipe comes close. ;)Posted Wed, Oct 19 2016 10:54PM, okjoesdc1 Oklahoma Joe's BBQ The Best BBQ in America. I use this as my reference when I make mine. This is some kind of bastard hybrid. City Barbeque Samplers Judge's Sampler with 2 Individual Sides $41.99 Brisket, pulled pork, 1/4 chicken, half slab of ribs, two pint sides, two cornbreads, Texas toast. Many include a mix of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, chilis, garlic and/or cayenne pepper for heat . I made Crockpot Old South Pulled Pork on a Bun recently and it was delicious! Smoked 6 cases of butts 8-10 lb avg ea. 1 teaspoon salt, to taste. I believe it has been made popular relatively recently by Bob Gibson's. Original Sauce. Share Fancy. Pulled pork marinated in vinegary swine wine and topped with creamy slaw. The only recipes I've found online all call for "a pig's liver," as if that's a useful measurement in this age of buying it by the pound. In addition, 2 stemless wine glasses and 2 bourbon glasses, a bottle of wine, and a bottle of bourbon are included to enjoy with your board. Shred the pork with two forks and put it back into the slow cooker along with about 3/4 cup of the reserved . Sorry to get off point. She'd attended UNC Chapel Hill and was quite fond of NC 'Q!). That opinion prevails anywhere east of Raleigh, and by the time you get past I-95, "them's fightin' words. This sauce is awesome!Posted Sat, May 13 2017 10:08PM, Toni Sounds good but no catsup! City Bbq Swine Wine Recipe | Visit A Winery It darkens the sauce and gives it a bold flavor that really compliments the meat. But this is an entertaining and informative thread. Please forgive me for the sin of buying bottled bbq sauce, but I found something called Scott's bbq sauce in Harris Teeter up here in Delaware, it worked wonderfully dressing a slow roasted shredded butt and it appears to be both Eastern NC and red in color enough to require matchup to properly emulate it. My granddaddy had a BBQ pit out back of his house and that fabulous taste was deeply engrained in my memory. The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. You probably are just following the base recipe that everyone knows is good.Great chefs and cooks play with flavor profiles in subtle ways to create their own unique spins. I prefer something with a little more kick (Addiction Bhut Jolokia / Marie Sharps). The longer it stays in the fridge, the better it gets. Southern Soul BBQ Red Swine Wine - The "Q" Review Until now make it taste right.Posted Sat, Mar 8 2014 11:06AM, jerry v Well I live in va but born and raised in eastern nc my grandfather and relative's raised hogs and cooked them in a pit.I use his sauce and I have never in 50 yrs ever put or heard anyone put ketchup in the E N C sauce.Posted Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:51AM, Mike's Carolina BBQ Sauce Seasoning Excellent info here. $9.59+. You can certainly substitute another hot sauce, like Tabasco, but Texas Pete has a flavor and history unique to NC, which is why I used it here.Posted Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:07PM, JoshGrillsItAll Have you tried the mustard/vinegar sauces from South Carolina? items. It is vinegar based with .. well, here is the recipe.Lexington Slaw6 lb. . Posted Wed, Sep 12 2012 12:35PM, Flip Just got a smoker and a 130 lbs of pork. don't want to end up with dried out pork after spending 8 hours slow roasting a loin with bacon fat and dry rub. Only hickory wood. Thank you! Giving My RK the recipe, it's also like giving him enough rope to hang himself. $10.35 Pulled Chicken Smoked chicken, pulled from the bone and mixed with scratch-made 'bama sauce. i say if it taste good it is good. The beef was chilled and thin sliced for barbeque, fajitas, philly's, italian(chicargo beef) or stroganoff..kb Posted Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:46PM, Susan Patenaude Lived in the Chapel Hill/Durham area for about twelve years, but wasn't sure where the line of demarcation was for the sauces. Choose a sauce: Original Sauce, Sweet City Sauce, Brushfire Sauce, LowCo Mustard Sauce, Swine Wine Sauce Beef Brisket $8.49 Choice of style. They cooked over hickory. Pig Pickin Sauce by Mean Chef Recipe - Food.com City Barbeque Swine Wine Sauce City Barbeque Nutrition Facts Serving Size: tbsp Amount Per Serving Calories20 Calories from Fat 0 % Daily Value* Total Fat0ggrams 0% Daily Value Saturated Fat 0ggrams 0% Daily Value TransFat 0ggrams Cholesterol0mgmilligrams 0% Daily Value Sodium130mgmilligrams 5% Daily Value Total Carbohydrates4ggrams Posted Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:27PM, Texas Mike I've noticed some people calling the so-called Eastern recipes BBQ sauce. !Posted Mon, Jun 16 2014 2:12PM, cheri GG this Carolina Tang sauce is brought to a boil and laid to rest a bit before putting on the pig, and is truly tasty. In Texas, I could not find Texas Pete at the store. Obviously I am not a purist, because I think the tiny amount of ketsup is ok and adds nice color without impacting flavor much. )I suppose they have their purposes, the "Bama white sauce is pretty good on chicken, But it just ain't "barbecue. Not the end of the world! Now, I'll often go to Smithfield's, they put enough on one sammich to make two, not to mention they have some of the best sauce around.Posted Sat, Jul 28 2018 12:09PM, Reinamom Is this supposed to be a watery or thick sauce? Liquids. America's most popular BBQ sauces explained - TODAY.com Posted Wed, Oct 19 2016 10:19AM, p3orion "Tennessee, what have you done for [Texas] lately? Ketchup is next up, which gives a little redness to look and thickens it up ever so slightly. Share 0 Tweet 0 Pin it 0 Fancy +1. ;) %u2764%uFE0FPosted Wed, Oct 19 2016 12:34AM, Scott %u201CYou may all go to hell and I will go to Texas for the cue'.%u201D Davy Crockett Abe Lincoln told me to believe everything you read on the internet. Our bread is baked daily, sauce home-made and only the world's finest aromatics are used in our award winning rubs.Then we add our ownAward-Winning Sauces & Dry RubsAs one of the most decorated barbecue champions in the world, Joe Davidson's award winning sauces and dry rubs are the standard in modern day BBQ. The menu features pulled pork, ribs, chicken, brisket, and sausage, as well as Southern-style sides like collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and cornbread. From what I have seen, traditional Vinegar sauce doesn't use ketchup. My grandpa had a humble little place right on the Black River in Pender, CO.I remember him building a pit for a whole hog with a few of his buddies . When I was a kid, my family and many others in my neighborhood raise hogs. Gotta bite to it we're not familiar with. I'm not religious about measuring the flakes, either, but I probably double them. About; Contact; All Recipes; Design by Grace + Vine Studios. Great hot sauce with a unique, natural flavor. Yummy!!!! I added a little less vinegar and more hot sauce and red pepper flakes to my second batch. !Posted Sun, Jul 26 2015 3:29PM, Perch Teri mentioned one of my favorite BBQ places ever, Ralph's in Roanoke Rapids. give it a try before you snub your nose! I was that way with my "fried mush" that I used to have as a child and found the basic recipes for scrapple very close to what I was looking for.