Pais was a student at Miami Beach High School who was reportedly obsessed with the school shooting at Columbine, the high school where 13 people were shot and killed 20 years ago. The problem, Cullen concludes, was that there is almost nothing that can be done to help psychopaths. Per the other Columbine thread, I'm in the midst of reading Dave Cullen's "Columbine." Join date : 2014-02-11. Find it interesting Tom would say he was Dylan's best friend. A place to discuss the massacre that took place at Columbine High School in Littleton, CO on April 20th, 1999. Good thing I did because Dylan hasn't exactly risen to a level of responsibility in my absence. Both were from Columbus, Ohio and went to Ohio State University. Dylan Klebold and Ryan Harris killed 13 people at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999. His grades fell to average. Are Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris's parents to blame for the Columbine x93Thatx94 happened to x93themx94 because they were bad parents, we could tell ourselves. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold was the deadliest high school shooting in U.S. history, . Goodbye. Dylan was a depressed teenager with many mental issues. Its exactly people like you that caused this massacre to happen in the first place. Dylan Klebold was 17 when he and Harris,18, carried out their long-planned attack on the high school about 13 miles south of downtown Denver. Hers was a love as dark and true, as embracing and self-abnegating, as Cordelia's. On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, seniors at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., placed . -- b. How they could live with themselves is beyond me. Oprah asked the teachers to describe Harris/Klebold, the teachers talked about how they didn't fit in, wore trenchcoats, seemed troubled and dangerous, and so on. "I just don't know how something that is so basic as how the brain works is something that can be treated with therapy.". A Further Examination: Sue Klebolds case study of her son, Dylan Klebold, Trauma and Suicide within Law Enforcement, Mental Health and Mass Murders: The Connection between Trauma and School Shootings, Mental Health Treatment in Correctional Facilities, Forensic Behavior Analysis: Self Care in the CJ Field, Trauma in Female Juvenile Inmates and Delinquents. No scientist knows this absolutely. Eric: "Yea Everyone I love, I'm really sorry about all this. The giant whine of "I did my beeeeest!" Yaron Steinbuch. I'm glad Oprah isn't going to help this man promote his book. I have cousins who did shit like this - what was I supposed to do, call the cops and tell them to search their bedrooms because they might be crazy? here are some tidbits that might help you with the question. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold - Wikipedia What can I say, the mention of Dave Cullen's book piqued my curiosity. . And then later on, how was he able to conceal his mental state so successfully? She is the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of the perpetrators of the Columbine High School massacre that occurred on April 20, 1999. Brian Rohrbough, father of victim Daniel Rohrbough, said he was outraged that the Klebolds likened the day of the shootings to a natural disaster in the interview with Brooks. I encourage you to study the footage and reach out to others in the comments. I think Tom had high expectations of Dylan and may have been a little bit of a nag, but in these regards he wasn't much different than a lot of parents. Sue suggests that for someone as sensitive to humiliation and loss of control as Dylan, these types of events may have made a big influence on him, and created a bond between the boys. Are any of Robert Hare's books of interest, if you know? In any case, teenagers can be quite unfair to their parents. And even then we may never uncover the truth. In my opinion, what went on in their home led to Columbine.. It wasnt accepted.. Dylan adds that they can have his things as well. The deadliest school shooting in the United States was the Virginia Tech massacre, with 33 fatalities and 23 injuries. AAron Ontiveroz/the Denver Post via Getty Images How do you teach someone to have emotions or empathy? Parents were not paying attention to what was in plain sight, or didn't want to deal with it. I'm not a troll anonymous. Not to cure it, to manage it. Too bad. Theyd never seen his rage, nor ever felt scared of him. His parents were Wayne and Katherine. By the time of the shooting, facing his intense feelings of alienation, she says his journals show the only emotions Dylan could connect to were anger and hopelessness. Sue Klebold - Wikipedia They believe what they want to believe. Sorry. Eric David Harris (April 9, 1981 - April 20, 1999) and Dylan Bennet Klebold (/ . But Sue and her husband didnt know what the signs they were seeing meant. Dylan Klebold's father, is Lutheran, and said her son . Psychiatry has long attacked outsiders of all kinds, including gays, while not saying a word about society. In the days after Dylan Klebold along with Eric Harris shot and killed 12 students and one teacher and then himself at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, his mother, Sue Klebold, remembered . Without one factor (their brains) or the other (the guns), this wouldn't have happened the way it did, but I don't see the point of dismissing/elevating one over the other. . "Doctors" can profit, too, financially, when their names are attached to certain "studies.". Maybe that's what I find so scary about the whole thing, that there are people who walk around, every day, and are completely lacking in everything that I thinks makes us human. We monitored what movies our boys could see, and put them to bed with stories and prayers and hugs (p. 61). This was murder, he said. Tom was a geophysicist, Sue worked with handicapped people. Mother of Columbine killer Dylan Klebold breaks her silence Why does anyone think that parents know or care what their children do? Eric David Harris and Dylan Bennet Klebold were a pair of school shooters, bombers, and mass murderers responsible for the April 20, 1999 Columbine High School Massacre in Columbine, Colorado, which killed thirteen people and wounded 21 others before ending with both of their suicides. The next deadliest school shooting (based on fatalities) was the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, with 27 fatalities. I got picked on a lot and dealt with a lot of shit from the "jocks" and the "cool kids." Yes, it's the fifth anniversary of when you met your partner and you go out to dinner and somebody's child is relentlessly screaming throughout dinner that's fine. As the son of a geophysicist father and a mother who worked with the disabled, his upper-middle-class upbringing and well-meaning family didn't seem like contributing factors to his eventual killing spree. . They have grown up to be (somewhat) upstanding members of society, but I don't see how it is so easy to go from knowing your kid is making crank calls and setting off amateur pipe bombs to seeing him as a psychopathic murderer. Has anyone seen it who can comment? His father, who had been in the military, was strict with Eric, and actions in that house had consequences. Dylan says people will note the date and time when watching it. When I was in high school, my mother knew everyone I went, who I associated with, what I read, what I had my room, etc. Did Harris or Klebold have any siblings? Ed Berg, a former business associate who has talked to Tom Klebold since the shootings, said Dylan's father has come to grips with the boy's crime. They acknowledged they missed signs that their son was in trouble. They do not have a moral center that can be reached. Was Tom there for him when he needed him? His parents didnt yet know to monitor his internet usage. I can't help it. Brian Rohrbough, father of victim Daniel Rohrbough, said he was outraged that the Klebolds likened the day of the shootings to a natural disaster in the interview with Brooks. It is very difficult to assign causality in cases like this. All the bullying stuff is bullshit. I think he suffered horribly before he died, Susan Klebold said. "In the very . It's getting late; Eric looks at his watch and says it's 1:28 AM on March 15. (21 at the time). In my defense, R78, everyone knew I wrote the best hand. Dylan Klebold Wiki, Biography, Age, Wife, Family, Net Worth And he's not pulling a lot of punches about the media saturation either, and doesn't let the Rocky off the hook. I remember Oprah had teachers and students from Columbine on her show within a month of the event. And then later on, how was he able to conceal his mental state so successfully? . Eric Harris was a garden variety psychopath, nothing very interesting about him. As a reporter scribbled, Hooker reconsidered. I'm not saying that there's no guilt, no responsibility, because no matter how our brains are wired, we're all creatures of free will and able to make moral choices, but to lay everything at the feet of society, or the parents, or the school, is way, way too simple. (talks about his mother being thoughtful, bringing him candy and Slim Jims) "I really am sorry about all this. The attack on Columbine is almost a prototypical school shooting, but one way in which it stands out is that it was committed by two people together. If a kid is screaming endlessy, you remove the child from the area. With these many, many factors in mind, I turn to A Mothers Reckoning. I'm just thinking of the argument Sue mentioned in her book where Tom was insisting that Dylan remove his baseball hat before they went for breakfast (during their visit to Arizona State University). Dylan Bennet Klebold - a Columbine site In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most serial killers/mass murderers had excessive discipline rather than lenient upbringings. I'm sure they still live in Columbine and are active in many community functions, especially the PTA. It just seems all a bit odd. Dylan Klebold's mother: 'I felt I was a good mom' - New York Post One young doctor said, "I don't know if you can teach compassion, but you surely can teach the opposite! Dylan also writes in his journal that. Byron indicated the last time he saw Dylan was on their father's birthday. Weren't they in a small group of rebellious kids? Don't believe me? I just don't know how something that is so basic as how the brain works is something that can be treated with therapy. They will live on forever !!!!!!!! There are a lot more R&V followers out there than you would think. We relate. Byron Klebold is Dylan's older brother - photo of him at link. He and his partner Dylan Klebold were responsible for the Columbine High School massacre (1999). In the April 24 column, Brooks had paraphrased an article in the online publication Slate that said Harris and Klebold yearned to become the most prolific mass murders in history. Columbine Shooter's Mother: I Carry Him 'Everywhere I Go, Always' - NPR.org He lays bare the callous brutality of mastermind Eric Harris and the quavering, suicidal Dylan Klebold, who went to the prom three days earlier and obsessed about love in his journal. I can't find any photos of Eric's older brother, Kevin. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 13 people on April 20, 1999, before taking their own lives. I don't believe that Tom and Sue were annoying parents. Tom's surgery was today. What is something of a mystery to me is why things reached the point they did. I wonder if there was any homosex between those two. Mother of Columbine school shooter Dylan Klebold speaks in Oshkosh The parents of Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold have often been portrayed as disengaged from the lives of their sons and unaware of the dark paths lying ahead. Eric was born in Wichita, Kansas. When he heard reports of gunmen in trench coats rampaging through Columbine High, it's reported, that Thomas Klebold (the father of Dylan) contacted authorities, because he suspected his son might be involved and offered his help as a negotiator.. And now she won't show it. It's still about management. Dylanx92s father worked from home and saw his son every day. A 'Gentle Boy,' His Parents Told Investigators, Klebold Was Enrolled in an Elementary School Program for High Intellectual Potential Students. one of their coworkers at blackjack (again, cannot remember the name; most of this is just top of my head knowledge but it was a girl) said that dylan was not close with his dad and even disliked him (something to that effect), also in the 11k. They may show cruelty to animals, or alternatively a high degree of affection or attachment to animals. Tom is a geophysicist, Sue works with handicapped people. In them, its obvious to see how his anger and rage turned from being directed toward himself to directed toward others. The testimony people point out of a co-worker stating Dylan didnt get on with his father is unreliable as he couldve been having a teenage moan or joining in one time right up to regular bitterly disparaging remarks and reasons why. I didn't like life too much and I know I'll be happy wherever the fuck I go. He did it in contradiction to the way he was raised.. Yesterday there was a girl in her backyard screaming like an insane person at somebody or something. It is absolutely the parents vault. As we ourselves have often concluded in class, it seems Sue also came to the understanding that the massacre was the culmination of a number of different factors for Dylan, none of which on their own would have created such an act.