"I think there's wisdom in not being precious about those things, because then you're doing something for a press soundbite rather than for the betterment of the film," he says. Asked if the constant comparisons might help given the industry's preference for projects with clear similarities to past wins at the box office or awards, he says, "I think there's room for both. Bennie and the Jets (Interlude) 17. Elton Johns early influences paved the way for his incredible career. Dates to Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour: 'I Cherish These Memories'. Its lead starinsert shady eyes emojiis heard doing his own singing in the final film version. "My voice gets deeper over the course of the film, and my accent changes. As Taron Egerton suggested in his quote to THR, half of Bohemian Rhapsody's record-breaking money is still about half a billion dollars worldwide, a success by any metric for a film of this size . However, Taron Egerton did re-record all of the hits in for, and this did not happen. The most important thing is that its a musical, says director Dexter Fletcher, who arrives to our interview singing a song from Little Shop of Horrors. Tom Sizemore, Heat and Saving Private Ryan Actor, Dead at 61 hook due to Aladdin's surprising popularity. But then he had to park his troubles and go be Elton John. DID WE MAKE A MISTAKE? Its like Little Shop of Horrors, a fucking plant comes down from outer space and ends up eating people and singing, but theres something very real and relatable about it still. says the actress. Within the first few minutes of "Rocketman," we know this is no typical biopic. In the film Rocketman, Egerton gives a moving and intimate performance as a iconic artist, and his talent is breathtaking. The wicked sense of humor they shared made them fast friends, but Egertons electrifying cover of Im Still Standing in the animated feature Sing set him apart from other contenders (namely Tom Hardy) to play John in the long-discussed film. Taron Egerton was essential in making the Kingsman series a box office hit, and he raised his popularity and a net worth significantly with his leading role in Rocketman. Which Cast Member Of How To Get Away With Murder Has The Highest Salary Besides Viola Davis? Check out this video where Egerton and Fletcher discuss the creation of Rocketman along with scenes from the movie. Rocket Man. Illumination had success already, and the studio was hopeful that this film would be their next major hit. There is no information on how much Taron Egerton earned in the part of Rocketman. Even though Taron was born in England and has just one Welsh grandfather, Egerton identifies himself as Welsh. Next: This Four-Year-Old 'Modern Family' Cast Member Was Able To Double Her Salary. 24Kgoldn Net Worth, Biography, Career, Personal, And Facts, Sam Logan Net Worth, Biography, Career, Personal, And Facts, Terrence Williams Net Worth, Biography, Career, Personal, And Facts, Wesley Laga Net Worth, Biography, Career, Personal, And Facts, Rick Leventhal Net Worth, Biography, Career, Personal, And Facts. Of course, there is no way to talk about the exceptional work that Egerton has turned in without taking some time to focus on his work in the Sing franchise. He defines himself as a working-class man. That were still talking about his performance is both a testament to his work and a feat of longevity. And when I was hearing his voice, I was hearing me, but it wasnt me. Its an artificial thing to go through, but not if youre working with an actor who you get on with as well as Richard and I do, and youre able to discuss it candidly and navigate the difficulties effectively. Taron Egerton was brought back for the sequel, and based on his salary, he definitely increased his impressive net worth. . When he performed as a gorilla in Sing, he first met the singer. Its feeling a little sugar-coatedalthough it was already pretty sugar-coated at the time., Theres a bit of a wince when he jokes about the big, scary birthday and turning 30. Director-producer Matthew Vaughn was editing Kingsman: The Golden Circle when Furnish mentioned that the couple was having a hard time getting a film about John off the ground, with studios giving feedback variations of too expensive or too gritty as the project sat in gestation. Egerton started acting when he was 15, then scored a scholarship to London's prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, from which he graduated in 2012 and within a year was cast as the young. The diversity and range and what they (Elton and Bernie) have producedthere are hundreds of songs. "I think you accept me as him quite quickly and you invest in the character of Elton John, which is informed and determined and inspired by and in homage to him, but is ultimately my creation," he says. All Rights reserved. In a vacuum, Fletcher's Rocketman earning $180 million worldwide on a $41 million budget would be pretty great, even compared to Bohemian Rhapsody (which Fletcher famously ghost-directed at the end after Fox fired Bryan Singer). Rocketman, directed by Richard Lester, is a biographical musical film about a young musician named Rocketman. Scrutiny is going to be a part of that.. But for me, those are the easy things. He performed Elton Johns Im Still Standing and I Dont Think Ive Ever Heard Anyone Sing These Songs Better in Sing! Thats interesting because Elton is told that line by an extraordinarily talented performer. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. They have a beautiful home and theyre beautiful people, says Egerton. Do You Know Buddy Boeheim Net Worth, Biography, Latest Career? But to the extent that it feels like a disappointment, it's because Paramount frankly needed a biggie. Or, at the very least, amusing coincidences that can be retrofitted to make it seem as if certain things were written in the stars. One of the memorable lines in the movie is, You have to kill the person you were born to be to become the person you want to be. Is this something you take to heart? At just 32 years old, Taron Egerton is a performer who has been stacking up the credits and the accolades during his time in Hollywood. Elton John saw something special in Taron Egerton from the beginning! Taron Egerton was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Elton John in the film Rocketman. You cant shun him because shunning him means that you will burn up your fuse out there alone. Your subscription could not be saved. Of course, given everything that's going on, no one expected this to make as much as its predecessor. In the video, he plays piano parts from the film. Entertainment Weekly is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Theres no doubt that Taron Egerton enjoyed playing Elton John. Ive never been through that process before. Taron Egerton looking sharp in Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Photo: MovieStillsDB It's 10 months into 2020 and Taron Egerton still can't iron his clothes properly. "I've never poured so much of myself into something. The first films success catapulted Egerton to popularity and landed him a three-film deal with 20th Century Fox. "It used to be that I'd turn up at his house and my heart would skip a beat before he came to the door because it's Elton John. There are different scenarios you play out in your head when you watch a movie youve worked so hard on for such a long time. Mozartproject.org is a media and news platform that covers music genres, culture, fashion and the industry of entertainment. Im going to lie down for a really long time (laughs) and enjoy my summer. I was surprised by how much I enjoy wearing hot pants (laughs). Its something hes never heard before. I had to have piano lessons. So all of us who were involved with the making of the film are hoping that that will only help us, because it reflects an appetite for celebrations of music. Portraying someone as iconic as Elton John on the big screen is a very difficult task, which is why everyone from Tom Hardy to Justin Timberlake was initially considered for the role in the upcoming biopic Rocketman until producers settled on Taron Egerton. Egerton himself has admitted that he feared the intimate scenes between himself and Richard Madden, who plays Johns former lover and manager John Reid, would be edited out, as is common with studio films. Taron is Eltons greatest fan, according to producer Giles Martin. LOS ANGELES No one delivered a gutsier film performance in 2019 than Taron Egerton. For example, when Egerton was 17, around the time that John was first exploring the idea of a movie, he auditioned for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London with Your Song. He sang a John tune again later in his career, this time as a gorilla in the 2016 animated film Sing, in which his character performs Im Still Standing at the concert finale. By Chloe Foussianes Published: Jan 5, 2020. He was in that scene playing organ, and he just called me up to go and have a chat with him. The chance to meet the legend in the flesh proved to be a very, very, very surreal experience.. Yet Bohemian Rhapsody grossed that much money, and won that many awards. I wanted to include this idea of putting on the mask. I don't feel like those are the things that are the most interesting or taxing. 2:28. "I just want to have something that can accompany a vocal so that when I sing late at night at parties in a completely unsolicited fashion, it looks a little bit more valid and justified," he says. This Four-Year-Old 'Modern Family' Cast Member Was Able To Double Her Salary. Theres something and its not something you can define.. Can You Learn Bass And Guitar At The Same Time? Whether this guy was a bit off the wall or not, it was a line that inspired Elton. The piano-playing. At the end of its theatrical run, Sing had grossed north of $600 million, making it a genuine hit. Taron Egertons personal life is a well-guarded secret for those who follow the actors career. Taron Egerton stars as Elton John in Rocketman. Showing all 25 wins and 86 nominations. That was my twenties. "I've never felt so passionate about something and so protective," he says. Related: Dwayne Johnson's Film Debut Salary Broke A Guinness World Record. "Taron Egerton plays Elton John in Rocketman from Paramount Pictures. We are the go to news media platform of people who would like to find the latest trends in the entertainment industry. So I'm very proud of what it is and what it's become, the journey it's been on, because I believe that Rocketman has its integrity intact.". When fans ask why he sings so well on piano, they are interested in knowing if he really knows how to play it. He jumped in to produce, drafted Dexter Fletcherthe man who would eventually take over Bohemian Rhapsody helming duties from Bryan Singerto direct, and suggested his Kingsman star to take over as John. Being feted by major awards organizations for Rocketman should liven up the mourning. Because Elton was not at peace with who he was, he has lived through some real rejection during those years when he was most fragile and tender. This was great news for Egerton, who was able to tack on another hit to his resume. It did not sanitize its subjects sexuality and legacy or play down any of the sex, drugs, and rock and roll in order to appease studios and make the film more palatable for a mainstream audience. The studio nixed that part of the sequence before even mentioning that the gay sex scene might have gone on for too long. I pulled a moony to the crew at the start of the day just to kill some of the tension. Which was important, Fletcher says, because the last thing they wanted to be was The Also-Ran Rocketman.. That's a pretty solid sum for an R-rated musical biopic, especially one that is comparatively unapologetic about its lead being gay (and actually partaking in onscreen same-sex relations). Taron Egerton's current net worth to be $10 million. Im not a natural pianist, Egerton said. I think thats something that we share., That duality is a recurring theme of Rocketman, in which the adult John tries to make peace with the unhappy and misunderstood little boy inside, born Reggie Dwight in the London suburb of Pinner. That rock-bottom moment provides the film's frame, which means this is more than just a paint-by-numbers saunter . He's written about art and entertainment for more than a decade, regularly contributing to outlets like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly, and appearing as a guest on radio and television. He was profoundly moved, Egerton says. John put the kibosh on that immediately. So when Rocketman showed up, it too was perceived as "Yeah, that's pretty good," but the extent to which critics preferred the Fletcher flick was not reflected in general audience opinions. Egerton revealed in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that he did not play the piano in the film, but he did receive piano lessons in preparation for the role. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy. Egerton has sung on stage with John a number of times now, going back to last year's Oscar party to benefit the Elton John AIDS Foundation, where they performed "Tiny Dancer," up through last month's show at the Greek, where they belted out "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again," the new Taupin-penned duet John and Egerton sing over the Rocketman credits (coming soon to a Best Song nomination near you). As a teenager, the 29-year-old auditioned for drama school by singing Your Song, the 1970 classic that launched Captain Fantastic into orbit. But there are two opinions that are most important in the world, and its Elton and Bernies. In areas where the actor was not performing, he had to learn to make it seem like he was, which needed additional instruction. When another movie about a .