Its not just pushing triangles on a GANTT chart; its about getting everyone to sit down together and to agree on the way forward. At first glance, the question seems like a benign and friendly way for the interviewer to get to know you. REFERENCE THE JOB DESCRIPTION: I reviewed the job description and saw the position requires a passionate and dedicated candidate. They want to comprehend which potential employee can bring maximum value to the table. IDENTIFY YOUR BEST QUALITIES: I am a hardworking individual dedicated to getting the job done. I wont need to be micromanaged. Instead of concentrating on what the employer can do for you, you must consider what you can do for them. Practice using positive body language. Spell check? In my training program for new employees, I have a popular writing course that has helped every new member of the administrative staff master my employers unique memo and report writing format. You wish you had thought about this. This has kept me on my toes and helped me become a better professional. To learn more visit our Privacy Policy. See jobs at top tech companies & startups Why it works: Your job experience will probably be in a corporate office environment, surrounded by other people. By following these tips, you can effectively communicate how your skills and experience align with the positions requirements and stand out as a strong candidate for the job. In addition to my programming experience and my engineering expertise, I have worked on several projects of multiple sizes and complexity levels during my career. Pro Tip: According to the American Journal of Nursing guide on interviewing, you shouldnt mention your hobbies or interests when describing yourself in an interview, unless the interviewer specifically asks. Why it works: This answer shows the employer that you are an active follower of the industry and the company. When answering the describe yourself question in an interview, its essential to consider the job description and select the qualities that best align with the positions requirements. How to answer the "How would you describe yourself?" interview question. I love tinkering with mechanical engineering projects both professionally and in my free time. How to answer "Describe yourself in a few words" Check the company values Next or rather simultaneously you should research the company, its values, previous work, achievements, employee review, and so on. I also have several hobbies, most of which I developed by reading books and watching videos. Example: As a person with a sales background, I am most concerned with customer satisfaction. IDENTIFY YOUR BEST QUALITIES: I am detail-oriented and can pay attention to small details and ensure accuracy. I find that many times its a combination of what you study both directly and indirectly related to work., I am modest, but hard working and I consistently sets firm goals for myself. When it comes to interviewing, some questions are bound to come up. The best resume templates aren't just about fancy looks. BE HONEST AND AUTHENTIC: I am confident that my passion and dedication make me a strong candidate for this position. Example answer: I love letting my creative juices flow. Everything that describes you, from what you excel at to your most complimented traits to every good synonym in between. Have an important interview coming up? With a successful track record of supporting job seekers in securing positions at top companies across industries, our team is dedicated to providing expert guidance and support every step of the way. With many years of relevant experience, there is no question whether I will be efficient on the job. If the numbers arent there, Ill continue to iterate what Im doing until I meet my goal. Developing new skills and honing my existing ones helps me bring my best and sharpest self to work each day. See perfect cover letter samples that get jobs. Answer by referencing the job description, identifying your best qualities, tailoring your answer appropriately, using specific examples, and being honest and authentic. Even though I dont have any direct reports, I believe that everyone can, Im a results-oriented marketing professional. Keeping an open mind and being willing to try new things can demonstrate that youre the best candidate for the job. Elaborating on your last position as an intern at XYZ company, where you helped launch their new website by creating content for it. Find out who's hiring. Many times, your answer to this question dictates the direction of the interview, leading to follow-up questions that you can use to explain your relevant skills and experience. You can learn more about our privacy policy here, 2020 Top 50 U.S. Market Research and Data Analytics Companies, You can learn more about our privacy policy here. The first thing to describe yourself is as a self-motivated person. Here is a list of powerful ways to describe yourself in an interview with several example answers to convince interviewers you are the best candidate for their role: Example: I am a humble, supportive and hard-working person dedicated to setting and achieving goals. Choose the ones that describe you the best. ', takes work ethics very seriously. I am confident I can pay attention to small details and ensure accuracy in all tasks. This works especially well when the hiring manager has been in the same role as the one youre applying for. Most offices are set up in teams or with product-specific sections. You must discuss the activities and learning experiences you had while in school or at your first job. Example:I like to have an overarching bigger picture as a guide. This commitment to adding value has helped me contribute immensely to the success of my teams and employers. (Describe Yourself in ONE WORD, 3 WORDS & ONE SENTENCE!) You wish you had read this post before. The key to showing off your soft skills while answering this question, or any interview question, is to appear confident, remain calm, maintain eye contact, listen carefully, and respond succinctly without rambling. Example: I describe myself as a very decisive person, which I find to be important in leadership positions. On top of researching the company and listing your important skills, be . BE HONEST AND AUTHENTIC: I am confident that my results-oriented nature and ability to drive success make me a strong candidate for this position. Tweaking your resume for each different job description will ensure a higher level of getting called in for an interview. The second key to describing yourself is to make sure youre answering the question in a professional way. Depending on the company youre interviewing with, or how the conversation is going, you may be able to sneak in a few creative and fun self-descriptions. By understanding the context of the question, considering your strengths and weaknesses, and focusing on your most relevant qualities, you can craft a response that will give your interviewer a better understanding of who you are and why you are the best fit for the job. Be sincere and authentic when describing yourself in a job interview. Example: Im someone that is proactive. Now, how can you connect those themes to what that job is calling for and tell a great story? You ought to be aware of what youre doing and its significance. Sometimes when we seek to describe ourselves, we find ourselves at a loss for words or using the same three descriptors over and over again. *The names and logos of the companies referred to above are all trademarks of their respective holders. Even though this is a very prevalent problem amongst various aspirants, it can be addressed by dressing well, controlling the pace of the voice and showcasing an open body language. Im not an individual who needs to be micro-managed. Example:I am a people person and my greatest strength lies in my ability to collaborate and leverage the strength of others to achieve common goals. Here's how to answer the interview question, "Where do you see yourself in five years?". Get the job you want. Example answer: Well, Im detail-oriented. If youre unsure where your strengths lie, then its best to avoid answering rather than trying to guess. Mental pictures of words are mixing in your head and your tongue tastes like alphabet soup. You mutter words like deterministic or innovativity and you realize youre drenched in sweat. Professional. [Interview Question], Why Should We Hire You? What do they list under qualifications and responsibilities? TAILOR YOUR ANSWER: My adaptable nature aligns well with the requirements of this position. Once I set my eyes on the prize, I work hard to achieve my goal. And thats why Ive dedicated a lot of time and effort to perfecting my communications skills. Youre perplexed as you dont know the appropriate answer to this question. Unless specifically stated otherwise, such references are not intended to imply any affiliation or association with Zety. To get acquainted with you on a professional level. Dont try to tell them about your past successes and failures; instead, explain how your skills will help them achieve their goals at work. After the interview, follow up with a thank you note and make sure to thank the interviewer for their time. I would consider myself to be a very up-to-date as well as an innovative person as I have worked on an ABC project at XYZ job and also managed a team at PQ organisation. Well also look at examples of how to answer this question effectively so that you can feel confident and prepared for your next interview. Im an avid learner. Instead, talk about what skills and experiences have helped shape who you are today and why those experiences are relevant for this position. Check. Use our free template to make that thank you easier than ever. Try our resume builder. Preparing to answer how to describe yourself in an interview is an anticipated part of the, While you dont need to craft and memorize a response in an informal setting, it is helpful to do a little preparation beforehand. Example: Experience has taught me to be proactive rather than reactive in this line of work. Interview Question: "What Are Your Hobbies and Interests?" Analytics related cookies used on our Site are not used by Us for the purpose of identifying who you are or to send you targeted advertising. Craft your sample responses accordingly. You can show this by mentioning past projects, such as: You can provide evidence to support your claim if youre a data scientist. One of our users, Nikos, had this to say: [I used] a nice template I found on Zety. Words to Describe Yourself on a Resume. To help you decide how to describe yourself in an interview, consider these examples: I am passionate about my work. Its the job interview of your life and you need to come up with something fast. Why it works: Describing yourself as passionate or dedicated can tell the interviewer that the job youre applying for is more than just a job to you. How To Use Words To Describe Yourself (With Examples) TAILOR YOUR ANSWER: My detail-oriented nature aligns well with the requirements of this position. I love digging into the numbers and analytics of a campaign as much as I love getting creative for my clients. (The BEST Way To Describe Yourself In An Interview!) Although this will be my first year teaching full time, Ive been tutoring students one-on-one for over six years. To figure out what makes a good answer, it helps to know why interviewers so often ask some variation of Tell me about yourself. It's common for an interviewer to ask something along the lines of 'tell me five words that describe you'. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF? (The BEST Way To Describe - YouTube I have enough motivation for myself and my department. At MatchBuilt, we have worked with 1000s of job candidates and 100s of hiring managers, and we know why its a good idea to prepare the right words for this question. I can build strong relationships and work effectively in a team. Take five to ten minutes to sit down with pen and paper and get all your thoughts out. I set very high standards for myself and more often than not, always exceed my employers, teammates, and clients expectations. I am always looking for ways to improve and achieve success. We may also collect password information from you when you log in, as well as computer and/or connection information. A competent collaborator should also be able to switch multiple duties as necessary while still participating in them. Thats me. The primary reason interviewers ask you to describe yourself is to get to know more about you and then use the information as context for other matters. 1.1 1. BE HONEST AND AUTHENTIC: I am confident that my hardworking nature and dedication to meeting deadlines make me a strong candidate for this position. Learn how to write a cover letter the best way with tips from experts. Many interviews are kicked off with the hiring manager asking you to describe yourself. Everybody can make good decisions with sufficient time and information. Are there any themes like you're consistently a revenue generator, creative thinker, or positive self-starter? The first question that your interviewer asks is How would you describe yourself? I am always looking to take on new challenges and make a meaningful impact on the companys success. And that is why I continue to learn new skills to help me perform at the highest level professionally. With that said, be careful with these terms. But describing yourself with a funny answer when appropriate can really help the interviewer get to know who you are. How do you answer this question when you don't know where you'll be in the next five minutes? Copyright 2008-2023, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc, Things To Say About Yourself in an Interview, Sign up to become a member of Glassdoor so you can, Why interviewers ask how you view yourself, Ways to describe yourself in an interview. Tell me about yourself - Teacher Interview - 7 sample answers Make eye contact. Quiz: What's Your Workplace Love Language? Its fast and easy to use. You can also mention how many individuals benefited from your work and how much money was saved. Rather, when given a specific task, I can figure out the best ways to solve the problem in an autonomous manner., I am a person who is able to control a situation rather than have a situation control them., I am someone who has an unwavering resolve. I find opportunities where other people see none: I turn ideas into projects, and projects into serial success., has a very creative mind. Working Through Migraine: What Happens to Your Brain During a Migraine Attack? However, its important to avoid using generic sample answers found on social media and instead find new ways to highlight unique personality traits and experiences from previous jobs. The reality of our domain is different. Get the job you want. Start building aprofessional resume template here for free. For these reasons, we may share your usage data with third parties. Follow these steps to prepare your answer + review these example answers. Some common mistakes we see with this are trying to share your whole life story and then you fail to keep the interviewer's attention. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF? Learn how to make a cover letter that gets interviews. Butthat doesnt mean theres no wrong way to answer it. That way, I almost always have alternatives and solutions to problems before they arise, which has really helped me to achieve exceptional project completion rates. : Creating an Authentic Career Vision. Use terms that the interviewer will recall so they can introduce you to others. Even with time pressure and high stakes, we need to move forward by taking charge and being decisive. The best place to start to identify what makes you unique is to turn within. When to use "highly organized", "self-determined", "team player": If the job you're interviewing for includes a tall order of multi-tasking, describe yourself as someone who has worked in a team, is highly organized, self-determined, and can get multiple tasks accomplished simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Some people might be tempted to give a generic answer, but thats not the best way to stand out from other candidates. "How would you describe yourself?" is a common question asked at the start of a job interview. Distractions: Understanding the Biggest Productivity Killer, How to Deal With Work Stress in a Healthy Way, How Sleep Meditation Can Calm Your Nighttime Anxiety, 30 Meaningful Non-Toy Gifts for Kids This Christmas, The Power of Leverage in Leading the Life You Want, 6 Practical Ways to Boost Your Mental Fitness, How to Live a Full Life (Without Compromising on What Truly Matters), Achieving Goals: The Ultimate Guide to Goal Achieving & Goal Setting in 2022, What Is Motivation And How To Get Motivated (Your Ultimate Guide), How to Increase Mental Focus and Stay Sharp, How To Get Fit If You Have a Busy Schedule, What Is Motivation And How To Get Motivated, What Is Procrastination And How To Stop It, Achieving Goals: The Ultimate Guide to Goal Achieving & Goal Setting in 2023, Why Am I So Tired And How To Boost My Energy, can adapt to any situation. Even in a highly competitive market, I do whatever it takes to win new clients and businesses for my company and expect to be rewarded for my efforts. My resume is now one page long, not three. Here are a few reasons why: How to answer How would you describe yourself in 5 words?. The cool thing about describing yourself is that you get to show off what makes you unique. In every project I handle, my basic approach is to identify the potential challenges we will encounter and put in place countermeasures to ensure we deliver results based on our timeline and management requirements. Here's what it may look like: See more cover letter templates and start writing. Looking for more adjectives to describe yourself? How to describe yourself in three words in an interview. How To Sell Yourself In An Interview, Whats Your Next Step? LinkedIn is a behemoth of a toolso much so that it can be difficult to navigate all of the features, tricks, and hacks it has to offer. When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Create a cover letter in 5 minutes. Example: Im someone who strongly believes in personal growth and development. In my previous job, team members often said that my presence boosted team morale, and they also appreciated my ability to come up with new ideas to solve complex problems, so that's why I chose those three descriptive words above. "Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to interview for this job." Dedicated, Driven, Creative, Adaptable, Ambitious. These cookies are placed by third-party companies to deliver targeted content based on relevant topics that are of interest to you. Misunderstandings often arise because people are not communicating effectively, and that is why I focus on getting information across the right way. These qualities should describe youand they should describe the ideal candidate for the job. TAILOR YOUR ANSWER: My self-motivated nature aligns well with the requirements of this position. Im quite extroverted, so I get more energized when Im in direct contact with people. Ever wondered what sort of impact your resume might have if it were in Comic Sans? Pick the right format for your situation. Good eye contact shows that you are interested and professional. Its good practice to apply the steps above from time to time with a personal lens to ensure you can communicate effectively who you are. 1.2 2. Revenue Generator "I am confident in my abilities to produce and while I prepare for the worst, I do the work necessary to tilt the odds that the best will happen." 2. Do your proper research to handle "How will you describe yourself" interview question. You can find more information about how we use cookies on our Cookies Policy. This means youre comfortable taking the initiative and doing things independently. We noticed that you are using Internet Explorer 11 or older that is not support any longer. USE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES: For example, I increased sales by 20% in my previous role by implementing a new strategy and consistently tracking progress. As you know, this is one of those skills that is quite difficult when youre working in a fast-paced environment like a hospital. Be professional when you speak. Three words I'd use to describe myself are hard-working, creative, and I'm also a people person. Check Out These Videos, skills and experience align with the positions requirements, ability to collaborate and work well with others, 40 Strategic Interview Questions To Ask Candidates: What To Ask and Why, Maximize Your Job Search: How To Land More Interviews. Example: As much as I love processes, I love seeing results even more. Please describe yourself in a few words. This question is almost often asked by interviewers in an effort to learn more about you and your self-perception. You can describe yourself in one sentence, a handful of sentences, or even describe yourself in three words. Below are 100 words to get you started. This is essential so that they are fully aware of what needs to be done and by when. [Interview Question], What Is Your Greatest Weakness? If employed, I will apply my unique goal-setting formula to help my team to increase productivity and efficiency. Sample 4: My creativity has made me an effective team leader because I can anticipate problems and innovate solutions. Everyday I work to improve myself and my skills which is part of maturing and becoming better at what I do.. Write a cover letter that convinces employers youre the best. As a customer service professional at XYZ Inc, I was constantly interacting with clients and I loved it. See:How to Describe Yourself on a Resume the Right Way. Depending on the setting, you can add. When I set a task for myself, I always see them through even if I encounter difficulties. IDENTIFY YOUR BEST QUALITIES: I am self-motivated andcan take initiative and drive projects forward. TAILOR YOUR ANSWER: My organized nature aligns well with the requirements of this position. I am known for my strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines. Moreover, you can showcase your expertise by mentioning your experience and previous projects. My name is on their lips because I wrote THE book on the subject., communicates extensively. When Is the Best Time To Interview for a Job for Optimal Results? Here's how to impress your hiring manager or interviewer with the perfect follow-up messageand yes, we made templates. Instead, try to focus on a few accomplishments within each category (e.g., leadership, teamwork, initiative) that demonstrate you are who the employer is looking for. All Rights Reserved. How many companies have failed because of just one tiny detail? Use these words during an interview to define how you complete your job tasks and responsibilities within an organization: Dedicated Curious Persistent Resilient Disciplined Practical Ambitious Tenacious Resourceful Organized Bold Open-minded Respectful Cooperative Self-motivated Adaptable Reliable Loyal Inspiring Hard-working Proactive Attentive The employees have spoken. How you define success can show the interviewers what you value.