For those experiencing mental health conditions, we offer a confidential counselling service and regular firmwide seminars on looking after your mental health. I've been invited to an assesment Day following my application. Copyright 2008-2023, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc. Does Macfarlanes partner with any external diversity organisations? The last interview was an in-tray exercise, basically. The format at the Assessment Centre was as follows: Immigration lawyers deal with all legal matters relating to immigration and nationality. This employer has not claimed their Employer Profile and is missing out on connecting with our community. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. Where any NQ places are not filled by qualifying trainees you will be able to apply if you have suitable experience and where there is a business need. The vast majority of our graduate recruitment assessment processes are scored CV blind. JavaScript is disabled. It was good to relax us a little bit before things started. Regardless of your degree subject, you are eligible to apply for a vacation scheme in your penultimate year of study and onwards. Commercial awareness. We sat around in a conference room and there were ice-breakers. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Be respectful and patient and make sure you think your answers through, it is especially important here when the assessor might jump in to develop your answer and/or ask explanations. Commercial lawyers focus on trade, from commercial agreements about supply, manufacture and distribution to identifying the best routes to market. I am worried that if I tell Macfarlanes about my disability this will be seen negatively. Time management is key for this; I only just finished in time. Because we respect your right to privacy, below you will find descriptions on the types of cookies used on this site and options to opt out where preferred. We spoke to the early legal careers team at Macfarlanes to gain some key insights and top tips on how you can stand out to this leading law firm. On the whole there wasnt really a way you could have prepared for it though. You can apply for the training programme in your penultimate year and onwards if you are a law student, or in your final year and onwards if you are a non-law student. Sponsored by Lewis Silkin. A time you changed your approach Please visit the Apply page on our website to watch avideoabout our training programme assessment day. Partners and Graduate Recruitment were both friendly and made sure that I felt comfortable on the day. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Biomedical Science: 2023/24 Applicants Thread. Last year our work involved over 75 jurisdictions. Sponsored by Milbank LLP. We can also tailor your interviews on our schemes around these times as well as at assessment day stage. Nice experience, the interviewers were very friendly and willing to help with any questions I had. They will work with you to understand the changes you need and ensure these are put in place. Even though I didn't get the offer I enjoyed the day and the feedback they gave afterwards was helpful. Why do you want to become a solicitor? Macfarlanes Assessment Day. - The Student Room Do not feel pressured to respond too quickly, but take time to give considered answers. You have 45 minutes to complete this exercise; a business case study exercise where you are given three business case studies to prepare in 30 minutes. In addition, our litigators are able to offer strategic and tactical advice to best protect our clients in the event of a dispute arising. Make your points but be patient if anyone in the group doesnt quite understand the scenario. Generally, we progress applications from candidates who have, or expect to gain, a minimum 2.1 in their degree. What to expect from Macfarlanes LLP training contract. We are Macfarlanes LLP, the City of London based, international law firm, and entities controlled by Macfarlanes LLP through which it carries out its business ("Macfarlanes", "we", "us" or "our"). I did not study law at university. Macfarlanes is a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on its clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market. Pretty straightforward, nice talking to the recruitment managers. We are a distinctive London-based law firm with a unique combination of services built and shaped around the needs of our clients. Then we had lunch with trainees and partners, which was a little intimidating at first but fine once we were going. We look for candidates who want to build a long-term career at the firm and who have the skills to thrive under the responsibility we will give them. No, we do not currently use psychometric testing at any stage of the application process. To save you time . By clicking Accept cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device. 7 things that make Macfarlanes 'meaningfully different' Not automatically. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. Biomedical Science: 2023/24 Applicants Thread. I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England) in Jan 2021. The case study was very interesting to read it through and discuss with the partners. Our HR team liaise with third party occupational health and other medical professionals. It revolved around advising a private client (-note Macfarlanes is known for this practice area!) 1st stage interview, behaviour questions Two people from the lawtech group Pretty straightforward, nice talking to the recruitment managers. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. Learn more about diversity and inclusion at Macfarlanes LLP. How to apply www.macfarlanes.com Follow us on /MacfarlanesGrad /company/macfarlanes/ /macfarlanesearlycareers Applications to Sessions start on the week of the 13th March! Full instructions are given by the early legal careers team before the exercise; an interview with a partner and a senior associate. And in June 2020 we adopted an ambitious new environmental policy. The information does not usually directly identify you, but it can give you a more personalised web experience. Macfarlanes Career: Working at Macfarlanes | Glassdoor We have opportunities for qualified lawyers, trainees and business services who are looking for outstanding career development. I achieved lower grades at A level than I had hoped for. I am a qualified lawyer in an overseas jurisdiction. Together we support and attract diverse talent to the legal industry, as well as provide support. Contentious construction work involves the resolution of disputes while non-contentious work involves drafting and negotiating contracts and advising on projects. Robert Collard > Macfarlanes LLP > London > England | Lawyer Profile Vacation scheme assessment days consist of the following assessments: All assessment exercises during the assessment day are application blind, so your assessors will not have seen your application form. Glassdoor has millions of jobs plus salary information, company reviews, and interview questions from people on the inside making it easy to find a job thats right for you. However, if you feel you have a good understanding of what life is like as an associate and have researched the firm well, you can apply directly for our training programme. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. The coordinators were really helpful and gave me a prep call before so I knew what to expect from it. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we have invested in our processes to ensure everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. ", Opens the Fishbowl by Glassdoor site in a new window, motivations for law, about you, and competency on resilience. Thoughts on Wilson Elser? Before this we had fifteen minutes to read over a scenario involving the ethics of coming across inside information and whether or not to use it. Yes. No, we do not accept applications after the deadline has passed. We only accept applications through our online application system. I applied through a recruiter. There were three elements. Macfarlanes LLP 20 CURSITOR STREET LONDON EC4A 1LT England Email firm Visit website 020 7831 9222 020 7831 9607. If we have not yet reviewed your application, we may be able to add the missing information. Scheme launched to improve social mobility and access to justice in legal aid sector. What exercises can I expect at a vacation scheme assessment day? I interviewed at Macfarlanes (London, England). We also run a practice area open day where you can meet representatives from every practice area. If you studied a non-law subject at undergraduate level, you have to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Law (PGDL) at BPP. If you gain a place on one of our assessment days, you will find out more about the firm during the day. Assessment Centre: 1: Group Negotiation - Testing communication skills largely 2: Written Exercise - time pressured - right or wrong answers - bit of basic maths 3: Interview - mostly competency - some commercial awareness. There was a group negotiation task (nothing too complicated, just about showing you're a team player) followed by a written assessment (quite time pressured) and then an interview, half of which is a case study and the other half about you. 2nd stage interview, a presentation on legaltech followed by a Q and A. Leadership skills. Will going to a Macfarlanes event help my application? We had to read a situation and respond to it with what we would do in an interview with a partner. We plan to continue to run assessment days for vacation schemes and training programmes in-person in 2023. Can I still apply for a vacation scheme or the training programme? Any work experience, within the legal sector or elsewhere, will be taken into account when we review your application. Our unrivalled blend of expertise, agility and culture means we have the flexibility to meet their most challenging demands and adapt to the changing world around us. Try to ignore unnecessary details. This combines the knowledge you gain from a law degree or law conversion course in the fundamental principles of law with the knowledge you gain from the Legal Practice Course (LPC) in the basics of legal practice. All Rights Reserved. Make the most of their events and skills building workshops. Make sure you have convincing answers to questions like why law, why Macfarlanes, why haven't you done vac schemes, what other firms have you applied to, how have you demonstrated resilience etc. As a vacation scheme student, you will gain an insight into life as a trainee over the course of two weeks. The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. In each seat you will share a room with a partner or solicitor who supervises and supports you. Interviewers were polite and asked not too hard questions. 19. Any insight would be appreciated! Was very interesting . We hope you use the assessments as a chance to build your understanding of us and what makes us different, just as we see it as a chance to gain an understanding of you. Any thoughts on working at Twitter as counsel? The case study focusses on a series of scenarios under tight timed conditions. Restructuring and Insolvency. Please note blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience of the site and the services we are able to offer. Legal profession most represented sector in 2020 Social Mobility Employer Index. The second exercise was a written exercise: a letter to a client advising on whether they had grounds to sack some employees. The knowledge you gain from an event will help when you write your application. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance. Anyone else 12 weeks behind with uni work? All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. Nepotism always wins it seems. While many of our practice areas can be found at other firms, the mix cannot. As a trainee you could be working on major corporate transactions or commercial litigation, and then working for private clients on their most sensitive affairs. Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, I applied online. These give us insights into how we can develop and expand our diversity and inclusion initiatives in the firm. Nepotism always wins it seems. Law firms in profit despite pandemic; firms reinstate NQ pay. There is just a brief description on their website and nothing on wikijob at all, so I was wondering if anyone has been to one? How would you implement a process. Why do you want to be a lawyer, specifically in the City, when were you resilient/determined. If successful at the screening stage, we will invite you for a telephone interview. We are Macfarlanes LLP, the City of London based, international law firm, and entities controlled by Macfarlanes LLP through which it carries out its business ("Macfarlanes", "we", "us" or "our"). For us to accurately assess your potential, we want to see your achievements in context and ensure you are set up in the right way to perform at your best. SQE 1 tests your functional legal knowledge through multiple choice questions. Partners and Graduate Recruitment were both friendly and made sure that I felt comfortable on the day. Be the first to find this interview helpful, Why Law Why Macfarlanes Describe a time when you overcame an obstacle, "Are you resilient?" Not usually, unless you fall into the category of experienced hires or foreign qualified lawyers described in our SQE policies. Assessment Centre: 1: Group Negotiation - Testing communication skills largely 2: Written Exercise - time pressured - right or wrong answers - bit of basic maths 3: Interview - mostly competency - some commercial awareness. If I choose an alternative route to qualify than the training programme will the firm pay for the cost of me sitting the SQE? Our Environmental Sub-Committee, made up of people from across the firm, leads the firms sustainable business agenda. Come to a consensus with your team together and consider multiple opinions, To echo the above, it's not about prior legal knowledge but knowing what is usually involved in this kind of deal might be really helpful, as it was for me, You can show your commercial knowledge in the negotiation by mentioning the value of the deal in brand/reputation terms, For the partner interviews, your opinion might be pushed at times. Group exercise: split intotwo parts, first all four int he group discussing a scenario with the assessor (speak up but dont dominate). for recruitment purposes, (including via virtual assessment centres and virtual trainee experiences); to promote our legal services, including . These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information. Macfarlanes LLP | Training contracts, vacation schemes and graduate legal careers Solicitors Macfarlanes LLP 20 Cursitor Street, London EC4A 1LT Visit website E-mail firm 020 7831 9222 Visit Graduate Recruitment Site Apply Now Go To The verdict A day in the life of. All elements, including the bespoke Macfarlanes modules, are paid for by the firm. 13 years ago. A firm handshake is best, but try not to break any bones. All relatively straight forward. Sponsored by Bristows LLP. The Student Room and The Uni Guide are both part of The Student Room Group. We encourage you to take your time, come to as many events as you can and thoroughly research the firm before applying. Are you supportive if they have forgotten their point/are being brutally questioned by the other side and do you bring in quieter members of the group if they are struggling? Issues such as climate change and the need for alternative energy sources make environmental laws more important than ever. Hi, I've just been invited to their assessment centre. No. Partner and associate are friendly and very nice. Salaries, reviews, and more - all posted by employees working at Macfarlanes. Anyone here in-house with Disney or know anything about the company? It supports and educates staff about ethnic, religious, faith and cultural matters. Application blind and contextual recruitment. Priority for NQ places is given to those who have completed the firms training programme. It involved knowledge of intermediary maths, which if you havent done since GCSE can be a bit tough. The form is designed to give you every opportunity to tell us about yourself and show your interest in Macfarlanes. Apply. Firms reinstate NQ pay and tell staff they can choose how and when to work. Any insight would be appreciated! The format at the Assessment Centre was as follows: Negotiation exercise Presentation from trainees Written exercise Interview + case study Work shadowing For the negotiation exercise, just be yourself ensure you speak and make valid points as they assess everything you say. They assess you on your contribution but also how you react to your team members. Can I apply for both the training programme and a vacation scheme? 1 partner - commerciality interview - interview about current affairs and your recommendations for how the firm would deal with certain cases. We use cookies in our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. good questions and very good structure . Yes, we do. Assessment Centre: 1 partner interview - standard interview, cv and commerciality based. Macfarlanes has advised independent specialty insurance and reinsurance broker BMS Group on an agreement with Eurazeo for an additional investment which values the business at 1.75bn. Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions that you might find useful. Key Deadlines Calendar - Legal Cheek Macfarlanes LLP Training Contracts & Work Placements - LawCareers.Net He is a member of the Society of Construction Law, the Adjudication Society, the Property Litigation Association, the Young International Arbitration . Additional support and extenuating circumstances, Meeting Macfarlanes Campus events, workshops and fairs, Your choices regarding cookies on this site. How will Brexit affect lawyers day-to-day work? Candidates interviewing for Trainee Solicitor and Insight Day rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Associate and Associate Lawyer roles were rated as the easiest. Macfarlanes | The Lawyer Portal All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous.