Kelly's recent indictment for 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Time said, Part soap opera, part show, the Michael Jackson interview was vivid, reckless and emotionally naked. Life opined that Oprah delivered as promised and accomplished something nearly impossible: bringing Peter Pan down from the clouds.. Michael Jackson, left, will be played in the film by his nephew Jaafar Jackson, right. LIONEL RICHIE, MUSICIAN: Now, one great thing that happened that we both had to realize, I can't read or write music, and Michael cannot read or write music. He had the discipline at such a young age, originality, willing to try everything, a work ethic, all of it. And I was -- and I kept saying, I just hope he gets a physical trainer, someone to really work him out, to make sure he's healthy and prepared. In 1993, Oprah Winfrey made history by conducting the most-watched interview in television history. The craze reached a fever pitch in 1984 when a Pepsi commercial gone awry sparked even more frenzy. Due to a planned power outage on Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be impacted. And Michael was happy to play along with that, because he understood at a very early age that image-making and public relations was very important. Oprah's interview with Michael is one of the most-watched TV events in history, with 90 million people tuning in to watch and more than 7.8million catching up on the interview on YouTube since . UNIDENTIFIED MALE: My brother, the legendary king of pop, Michael Jackson, passed away on Thursday, June 25th, 2009 at 2:26 p.m. So, how do you write a song called "We are the World"? DE PASSE: I went back one more time, mustered up all my courage. BERRY GORDY, FOUNDER OF MOTOWN: He was exceptional, artistic, and original. It's a very complicated cultural dynamic with roots in slavery and beyond that would take me an entire separate article to unpack. After more than two months of testimony, 135 witnesses, and seven days of deliberations, the jury reached a verdict. Addeddate 2021-07-25 18:28:55 Closed captioning no Color color Identifier okra-interviews-michael-jackson-1993 That right there, that will never be replaced. "Anybody who knew Michael Jackson will tell you that when you are up close to himhe had absolutely no pigmentation in his skinyou are looking at his veins when you look at his hand. I'm going to miss him. But this time, Jackson's stage was the roof of an SUV, outside the Santa Barbara County courthouse. I mean, everybody wants immortality. Oprah Talks 'Leaving Neverland' Backlash, Affirms Support For Michael In 1993, Oprah helmed what would become the most-watched TV interview of all time a title which the show still proudly holds. Rank Interviewee Interviewer Avg. Oprahs 1993 interview closed with one of the last candid images we would see of Michael Jackson: Oprah and he walking toward the Neverland amusement park, as the camera pans up and music plays. LEMON: Bahrain and back again. Ellen: Oh, thank you. BRAFMAN: He went through a horrible accident filming a video. It's sort of like the anti- King Midas, like everything he wants to do just gets screwed up. Curiously, there was no mention of her personal connection to Jackson in particular, the famous 1993 live interview with him at Neverland Ranch, which took place just months before the first . TARABORELLI: Nothing was the same after "Thriller." He pleaded not guilty. LEMON: But Jackson was born to perform, and the show must go on. He was the seventh of nine children. After nearly a decade of being suspected of child molestation, the King of Pop was about to face the music. Mejore su francs con solo 15 minutos al da. Oprah's most iconic celeb interviews as Harry and Meghan set - mirror You look like you're insane. And a 14 week trial in 2005 found Jackson not guilty of charges that he had molested another 13-year-old boy, Gavin Arvizo. Oprah interviews Michael Jackson, broadcast live around the world from his home at the Neverland Ranch. At the end, he talked about his mortality. He moved to Bahrain with his kids. She asked the unthinkable in an hour-long television special, which portrayed an eccentric but vulnerable star. As a result, its lead single "Black or White" shot to number one. It was not like watching a 50-year-old man returning to the stage. LEMON: And with Neverland came the children. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Fifty, OK. In February, he received the Living Legend Award at the Grammys, an honor bestowed intermittently on the likes of Frank Sinatra and Aretha Franklin, which Jackson received at the age of 34. In 1993, Jackson spoke about both in this interview with Oprah Winfrey. With all of the pieces and details put together chronologically across four hours, Leaving Neverland brings to life a man who groomed his victims psychologically into simultaneously loving him and fearing him so steadfastly that they never accepted that they were abused themselvesmuch less wanted to tell anyone about it. Michael Jackson, in 1993 in a hospital for sick children. He suffered from bad acne and was self- conscious of his appearance. The superstar seemed to be fading in front of the world's eyes. This is the final curtain call. LEMON: All silent at age 50. Jackson Interview Transcript By Ellen Crean December 28, 2003 / 12:38 PM / CBS For most of his life, Michael Jackson has been in the spotlight, most recently because of what has been. Spawning iconic music videos and a sold-out world tour, "Bad" went on to sell 8 million copies, and Jackson went on to change his image once again. Michael Jackson, Oprah, Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Rowe and many other people watching MJ talking to Oprah on TV in a bedroom: Link: The Mexico Deposition in 1993 and "Dangerous . That was the first time Jackson had given a televised interview since 1979. Of course, we're following developments out of Iran tonight. After the sex. His steelworker father, Joe, turned five of his boys into a band with five-year-old Michael out front. Best Oprah Winfrey Celebrity Interviews: Michael Jackson, Whitney MJ: You're welcome anytime. Record producer Ronnie Jerkins worked with Jackson. A lot of people from the Mideast love Michael Jackson. Would you trade it in for a normal childhood with the celebrity? TOURE: Every few months you would see him, and you'd go, whoa, you're looking weird, dude. You think about what the it factor is, that's what he had. He's not breathing? Oprahs assumed naivet achieves complicity with both Michael and the viewer, and on television complicity allows for everything. LEMON: Jackson needed to put distance between him and the taint of Neverland. On February 10, 1993, Oprah sat down with Michael Jackson for what would be the most-watched interview in television history. SMITH: Neverland, which cost him around 19 million dollars in 1987, had a staff of about 150 at its peak, and all these carnival rides, exotic animals which required full-time veterinary care. That was the start of the plastic surgery, and probably the pain killers. An aerial view of Jackson's Neverland theme park taken in 2011. that interview Jackson did with Martin Bashir, a study by the Census Bureau and Stanford University, Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is the greatest moment that disco has in its entire history. In a new interview, Oprah discussed and reiterated her support for HBO's documentary series Leaving Neverland, which explores two allegations of child sexual abuse against Michael Jackson.The series saw two men, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, accusing Jackson of sexually abusing them as children, and immediately sparked intense backlash online from fans of Jackson and from the Jackson estate. Its a magnetic, phantasmagoric ending. MESEREAU: I just looked at him and hugged him and he just said, thank you, thank you. He also sang and danced. BOTEACH: The fact that he could even find himself in the situation after the '93 allegation shows he didn't take that sufficiently to heart, because if he did, he never would have been along with the child. Almost all of the most watched TV interviews are from the United States, except one from BBC One. How many plastic surgery procedures have you undergone? Very, very few, Michael replied. An Objective View of Michael Jackson Interview Transcripts Michael Jackson, Lisa Marie Presley interview with Diane Sawyer Transcript 22nd January 1995 Diane Sawyer: And with me of course, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley. My father was too strict, he was too much of a disciplinarian. HIATT: That's not really a comeback when it's your farewell. Instead, it is about the millions of people in this world who never got to have a childhood because of the sexual abuse they experienced before their young brains were even developed enough to know what was occurring. Video of Michael Jackson showcasing his beatboxing and singing talent in an impromptu performance from 1993 confirms what we've known all along: MJ was a natural born entertainer. LEMON: His long-time choreographer, Kenny Ortega, was at that last rehearsal, as he had been each night for three months. Then Oprah asked the question even she says was embarrassing: "Are you a virgin? 1993 Michael Jackson interview (Oprah) - YouTube LEMON (on camera): If someone asked you to sing a tribute to Michael Jackson at a service or whatever, what do you think he'd sing? He hadn't shaved that morning. He was greeted by a crush of reporters and fans. JACKSON: Let's face it. "He kept getting whiter and whiter and whiter, and nobody understood why," Oprah says. Michael entered the shot walking downstairs as Thriller played in the background, but no one was applauding. LEMON: -- so is his death. LEMON: R&B superstar Usher. Eight minutes into the show, Oprah posed the question that would allow her to get to the meatier questions. JACKSON: This one, this one -- CASTRO: Almost pathological in his spending ways. LEMON: Even though Jackson couldn't replace his earlier success, he never stops innovating. But Reed cleared up one important thing: Neither Robson nor Safechuck were paid to be a part of Leaving Neverland. I can't even begin to summarize here everything that happens in those four hours, but if there is one message I can share: It is a must-watchespecially if you are a Michael Jackson fan. And that is something that is happening every single day in this country at the hands of far less powerful people. LEMON: The marriage collapsed less than two years after the wedding. He's not breathing and we need -- we're trying to pump him but he's not -- UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK, OK. How old is he? While never forgetting any of the sexual details that happened between us, but having no understanding that it was abusehaving no concept in my mind that anything about Michael could ever badeverything that Michael did was right to me for so many years." Michael, a fiercely private entertainer, had refused to give an interview for 14 years. I know the creator will go, but his work survives. This is a moment in time that allows us to see this societal corruption that's like a scourge on humanity. The pop star's eccentric behavior hardly deterred the album's record-breaking five number ones. We're going to sleep. Theres one other person besides Michael: portraits of Michael Jackson, painted by Ralph Wolfe Cowan on a gigantic canvas showing him as a knight in armor accompanied by his monkey Bubbles, a parrot and a cherub. Oprahs interview succeeded in reducing Jacksons image from lunatic to simply eccentric, wrote The Washington Post shortly thereafter. Michael Jackson was adamant that he was a "gentleman" first and foremost while talking to Oprah Winfrey. They were tremendous. That was a very odd appearance, that he felt it necessary to say, this is good-bye. In the second block of the interview, the tone changed completely. He could hardly smile. Their first three single "I want you back," "ABC," and "The love you save" all hit number one. Our editors handpick the products that we feature. Kim Kardashian Back in 2012, Kim did a tell-all interview with Oprah about her leaked sex tape with former partner Ray J. LEMON: But Brockman says the superstar was terrified. LEMON: The Los Angeles Coroner's Office said they would need toxicology tests before determining the cause of death. LEMON: But behind the image of a happy family and their rags to riches story, there was something else -- incredibly hard work, and a father who pushed his children. These are not men who are fame hungry, or chasing money, or seeking to bring down a dead man. Not all are available yet, though Anyways, I hope you like them. JACKSON: Yes. Yesterday, President Barack Obama called the recent violence in Iran outrageous. On the weekends, I'm probably either having a margarita, adding new books I don't need to my TBR pile, or playing with my puppy, Leo. JACKSON: I ask all of you to wait and hear the truth before you label or condemn me. They talked about James Brown, Jackie Wilson, the Bee Gees and Motown. There would be no other form, honestly. GORDY: Suzanne de Passe insisted I meet with these kids and audition them. Just nine months after the show aired, the 13-year-old cancer patient featured in the documentary accused Jackson of sexual abuse. They are mourning in Gary, Indiana, too, Michael's hometown. And it would catch fire when Jackson unveiled an out of this world dance move on a television special for Motown's 25th anniversary. Jackson fans have also been vicious, as Winfrey also received backlash before the interview. KENNY ORTEGA, CHOREOGRAPHER: He was so excited about this project, and so invested. And it's happening right now. No barrier stood before this man that he didn't challenge, that he didn't break down, that he didn't tear down. He's trying to not affect the legal proceedings in any way. Leaving Neverland and Oprah's interview helped me come to terms with the fact that by continuing to defend Michael Jackson in the name of his talent, I was contributing to our society's habit of victim shaming. Toward the end of her interview with Michael, Oprah talked with him about his life's purpose. Be in the know on current and upcoming trends. LEMON: Michael Jackson had probably drawn his last breath by the time this 911 phone call was made from a rented home in the Los Angeles hills. Michael Jackson's House - Michael Jackson Fan Page - www.mjshouse.com And that's what happened. The interview had the intended effect (many considered it a promotional ploy by the two, rather than a real interview). Thus, the most uncomfortable question was forgiven. And Oprah posed a lot of difficult questions. In fact, you know, there were nights where you looked up there and it was like he was timeless, ageless. Why? Jackson told Oprah he suffered from a rare skin disease. However, Jackson's teenage years were awkward. The hurt was so ingrained in each of these men, in fact, that neither of them were willingor ableto accept what had happened to them until they had sons of their own. It is bigger than Michael Jackson's fans, bigger than me defending the soundtrack to my childhood. Similarly, Safechuck recalls meeting Jackson while filming a Pepsi commercial; they developed a similar working relationship that morphed into sleepovers at the ranch. He was sobbing. Simply titled "Bad." TOURE: So he's doing the moonwalk. (END VIDEOTAPE) LEMON: Coming up, Michael Jackson, from riches to rags. Who do you date? Right now, Brooke Shields. Oprah nodded and murmured Hmm. She comes to my house, or I go to hers, Michael continued. WINFREY: He did? She explained: "Here's the reason why I'm here. How Michael Jackson Fans Almost Got Oprah Winfrey Canceled - TheThings In this never-before-heard interview from 2012, Emmy and Tony-award-winning actress, Cicely Tyson explains the surprising story of how she found her calling, shares behind-the-scenes history of her most iconic roles and reveals the biggest life lessons she's learned. I was always crying from loneliness. With that, live in front of 62 million viewers, Jackson established the first great myth that would surround him from that moment on (and which his most diehard fans would use to justify his most outlandish behaviors): the kid whose childhood was stolen from him. In 1993, Jackson spoke about both in this interview with Oprah Winfrey. But his face was expressionless. Tern claims the visual aspect very subtly [drew] Michael Jacksons personality, that outdated mogul thing. (And who could ever forget that interview Jackson did with Martin Bashir in 2003 where he whispered "I am Peter Pan"? It's mysterious. Like what are we doing? But that becomes problematic when sometimes, that means we turn a blind eye to their mistakes, or, in this case (and the cases of other public figures like Kelly, O.J. I tuck them in. Oh, there's a lot of is sadness about my past life and, you know, adolescence, and my father, and all of those things. "I had no understanding of it being abuseI loved Michael," he told Oprah. It could not be stopped. LEMON: Three years later, in the fall of 1991, "Dangerous" was released. LEMON: In 1986, a photograph of Michael asleep in an anti-aging chamber rocked the tabloids. People were talking about his plastic surgery. There is no song, album, or memory that is worth discrediting what happened to a seven year old little boy who was so young when he was being touched sexually, he worried that his abuser would turn into the werewolf from "Thriller." Someone created a piano. Ellen: I can defnitely hang out. LEMON (voice-over): It was June 13, 2005. Six months and 14 days later, in the summer of 1993, the first accusations of sexual abuse were made public, and his image was tarnished forever. He also raised eyebrows with his red carpet companions Brooke Shields and Emmanuel Lewis. USHER, SINGER: Michael had an unseen magic to influence people, the music and the culture. JACKSON: My friends and doctors advise me to seek professional guidance in order to eliminate what has become an addiction. They come up with these dances," Michael said. Michael Jackson Talks . "All I did was enhance the dance.". The live interview, which took place before any abuse allegations were made against him, covered . LEMON: It was 1984 when Jackson was making this Pepsi commercial and his hair caught fire. His mistake is that he took it way too far, so that he stopped being a curiosity, and he started being a freak. I was never able to enjoy the simplest things that a child takes for granted in his life. DEEPAK CHOPRA, SPIRITUAL ADVISER: I said, Michael, you don't need these drugs for that. Throughout the film, we hear from both men (in, yes, graphic, explicit detail) about exactly what they say transpired between each of them and Jacksonand across four hours, we hear why neither of them came forward about what purportedly happened to them until adulthood. LEMON: On the last night of his life, Michael Jackson was rehearsing for his London show, due to open in just three weeks. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley: The 20-month marriage of the strangest couple in pop, Michael Jacksons nephew to star in King of Pop biopic, In Cuba with no sugar, spotty internet, and frustrated Kardashians, Christina Applegate attends probably last award show after multiple sclerosis diagnosis, Released audio suggests Greek train driver told to ignore red light, Ukraine outgunned 10 to 1 in massive artillery battle with Russia, Maestra en Big Data y Analytics 100% en lnea, MBA Administracin y Direccin de Empresas en lnea, Programa en lnea en 'Project Finance' Internacional, Maestra en lnea en Direccin de Recursos Humanos y Gestin del Talento, Maestra en Comercio Internacional presencial en Madrid, Espaa, Maestra en Marketing Digital & E-Commerce. Nobody says anything about that!, His physical appearance remained the focus of the conversation. LEMON: De Passe was just starting out at Motown, working with founder Berry Gordy. And in 1999, they divorced. Watch full episodes and live stream OWN whenever and wherever you want. It is strange to see Michael in the absence of screaming and crowds; he seemed removed from his own celebrity. (COMMERCIAL BREAK) (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) (CROSS TALK) LEMON: The very public trials of Michael Jackson eventually took their toll. to Oprah" interview. There is not a single thing or person in popular culture that is worth not protecting and believing our children. JACKSON: This is it. he looks soo mad wen the alarm goes offits soo cute. There are no reviews yet. Less than a year later, Jackson made headlines again when he married Lisa Marie Presley, the 26-year-old daughter of Elvis. Don't treat me like a criminal, because I am innocent. And we were so excited. LEMON: Millions in mourning. In 25 years of the Oprah Show, I taped 217 episodes on sexual abuse. ), Still, even as a grown, college educated, opinionated adult, until just two days ago, I was one of those Michael Jackson defenders. His appearance had changed so much since he was a child star that there was much speculation about the work he'd had done. viewers (millions) Series Air date Network Ref(s) 1: Michael Jackson: Oprah Winfrey: 62.30 "Michael Jackson Talks . Mere months later, his public image would be tarnished forever Disfruta de nuestras lecciones personalizadas, breves y divertidas. So when you're selling your furniture to make money, it's like -- yes, it's not exactly a yard sale, but he definitely felt a dire need for cash. Even from the beginning, when they're nervously holding hands at MTV and he says, "Nobody thought this would last," and then he goes to kiss her. It was an exclusive talk with Michael Jackson who had refused to be interviewed for 14 years. Long-awaited, the buzz was big. Michael had turned down interviews for 14 years, until allowing Oprah access to Neverland. At the age of 10 he was told to say that he was eight. With Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Elizabeth Taylor. Michael Jackson was being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey in 1993 when he stunned the interviewer by showcasing his incredible beatboxing skills as he sang acapella. It just made me very, very, very sad. Attorney Brian Oxman. I had go-to lines about being able to separate the art from the man; about how Jackson was certainly an oddball with an affinity for children because of his own troubled upbringing, but that didn't make him a criminal; about how there was never any real proof that he had abused children. LEMON: Jackson would become more reclusive, retreating into his Neverland Ranch. And for us to all pay attention to this one being on this planet as much as we did, the light was truly shining bright. It cost him around 10 million dollars to keep that up at its peak. LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The buzz over Michael Jackson's interview with Oprah Winfrey continued on several fronts Friday and included a statement from the pop star's dermatologist about Jackson's much-discussed skin condition. Flags at half staff, a memorial at his childhood home. LEMON: In a BBC interview, Joe Jackson admitted whipping Michael with a switch or a belt, but denied ever beating him. TOURE: When he dangled the baby, it's just here's Michael again being the class clown who doesn't even realize that he's the class clown. I mean, within six months, every 10-year-old in Dallas could do it. Not to mention the timing; Leaving Neverland just so happens to be coming out months after an explosive Lifetime documentary that may have played a part in R&B singerR. Michael Jackson Talks to Oprah (1993) - YouTube It was his greatest blessing, but, I think, also his biggest curse. Oprah, who referenced her own experiences with sexual abuse as a child during the interview, added that when you're as young as Robson and Safechuck were when they allege that Jackson abused them7 and 10you "don't have the language to explain what is happening to you." She explained: And immediately I was up all night trying to think of the type of songs that would create excitement among people. 10 most iconic Oprah Winfrey celebrity interviews of all time | Marie At first that's a starling thing. Who wants mortality? CNN.com - Transcripts LEMON: On the very next morning, Jackson was found unresponsive in his own bed. There he continued to surround himself with children in a make-believe paradise where he could relive his childhood. LEMON: The soundtrack of a generation. I mean, you couldn't stop them. Michael Jacksons next two major interviews (with Diane Sawyer in 1995 and with Martin Bashir in 2003) would have even more disturbing questions. Semipresencial en Madrid, Espaa, Maestra en 'Data Management' e Innovacin Tecnolgica 100% en lnea. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He's 50 years old. To me, she's perfection. TOURE: It was quite obvious to all of us from the beginning that it was a sham, that it was a publicity stunt. BOTEACH: He puts on that black thing, that mask. Obtendr un diploma con estadsticas de nivel, progresin y participacin. I was like, "What do you mean?" So if it gets you, our audience, to see how it happens, then some good would have come of it.". QUINCY JONES, MUSIC PRODUCER: I said, you know what? Do you go out and have fun, do you date? Yes, Michael replied. He made me rehearse too much. Were you as happy offstage as you were onstage?, Offstage I was very sad. By the end of the documentary, I felt an unexpected emotion: numbness. (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) (MUSIC PLAYING, "I'LL BE THERE") UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When I first saw him I was amazed at his talent that just continued on. Have you ever had suicidal tendencies? Whats a 36-year-old man doing sleeping with a 12-year-old boy? Have you ever had sexual intercourse with a child? The rest of the story is familiar: Bashirs 2003 interview, in which Jackson again claimed to share his bed with children, prompted an investigation and then a trial for the sexual abuse of a young boy who appeared with him on the show (Jackson was found not guilty). LEMON: Although Jackson denied the abuse allegations, he was arrested and charged with seven counts of child molestation. LEMON: And his beloved Neverland was toxic asset number one. One of the first venues, the auditorium of Roosevelt High. LEMON: It is Chopra's belief that prescription drug abuse was Jackson's downfall. This was recorded on VHS in the 90's. Show more Show more (COMMERCIAL BREAK) LEMON: By the early 1990s, Michael Jackson's new music, even fresh R&B hits like "Remember the Time," couldn't come close to the phenomenon he had created with "Thriller." "You said on my show, 'Yes, this was a real marriage,'" Oprah says, referring to her 2005 interview with Lisa Marie. NORRIS: And of course, it paid off for all of us, because, I mean, the idea of MTV without Michael Jackson's videos from "Thriller" is almost inconceivable. And sadly, he really internalized that message. HIATT: I was looking in an old "Rolling Stone" article from a few years ago and someone said, you'll really know that Michael Jackson is broke when he announces a big European tour. Oprah's Controversial Interview With Michael Jackson Was His First In 14-Years And Broke Records The interview took place at the 'Neverland Valley Ranch' back in February of 1993. And Michael just stared at me. It was just sad. Of all the questions Oprah asked, none had to do with his sexual preferences. So an auction of his most personal items seemed like the answer. MICHAEL JACKSON: I would do my schooling for three hours with the tutor, and right after that I'd go to the. ), I shared the same mindset of many of the folks Oprah was talking about. The author claims that Oprah promised not to ask him if he was gay. She kept her promise. On the day after his death, Presley wrote on her blog that Jackson always thought he'd die early like her father. And it was just kind of disgusting and silly. This is a UK airing of the famous interview of Michael Jackson by Oprah Winfrey in 1993. He's a 12-year-old superstar with thousands of people shrieking and screaming. Yes. With Brooke Shields? Yes. CRAIG HARVEY, CORONER'S SPOKESMAN: We know he was taking some prescription medications. LEMON: Rabbi Schmuley Boteach was a friend and spiritual visor to Michael Jackson. They performed as if they had been performing for years. "Leaving Neverland" debuts Sunday, March 3 at 8 PM EST on HBO. But in January of that year, Michael had just headlined the Super Bowl halftime show (the staging and format of which provided the template for todays artists performing at the years biggest football game) and won three American Music Awards. She offered to have a child for him. And we were sitting very close and he actually collapsed on my shoulder. Sometimes he would call me at 3:00 in the morning crying, terrified about what would happen to his children.