Top 10 Defensive Players in Arizona Cardinals History At The Buzzer, or ATB is the place for those who love sports, life, family, community, and so much more. Sanders also received the Jim Thorpe Award back in 1988. Then, he signed for the Washington Redskins in 2000, and he remained on the theme only one season. He played one season in Tampa Bay in 2013, then signed a one-year contract with the Patriots in 2014 and won a Super Bowl that season. Racked up 231 career tackles, the most by any cornerback in program history. One of Woodson's most famous games came against Brady in the 2002 AFC Divisional Round, in which Woodson seemingly sealed a victory with a strip-sack of Brady late in the fourth quarter. CBs making tackles on . He didnt just excel at cornerback, either. Im representing more than myself sitting here today; Im representing everyone and everything that had an impact on my life to get to this point. As a rookie, he led the NFL in interceptions and won Defensive Rookie of the Year. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2019. Pictured from left to right: Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones (59), Oregon cornerback Christian Gonzalez (0) and USC wide receiver Jordan Addison (3). Free Sports Betting Picks, Tips and Predictions for Saturday March 4th, 2023. We present them here for purely educational purposes. He also caught 47 passes for 744 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns, posted 84 rushing yards, and returned . They don't do this, however, and there are a few other things to consider. The twelve-time Pro Bowler was on top of the leagues ranks back in 2006 with ten interceptions. Our list of thetop10 cornerbacks of all timefeatures other highly successful NFL defensive players we discuss in the sections that follow, so make sure you stick around. He showed me I could be a man and walk right, the things my son talked about. Throughout the 1990s, Rod Woodson made a compelling case as the most complete cornerback of all time, if not the greatest. 2021 stats: 12 games (12 starts), 1 INT, 13 PBUs, 1 FF, 58 combined tackles (44 solo). The 100 Greatest Bears of All Time - Chicago Sun-Times Known as "Prime Time" and "Neon Deion," Sanders is considered by many the greatest at his position. Here is our ranking of the five biggest defensive linemen at the combine Pittsburgh could target in the 2023 NFL draft. Law retired back in 2009 with 838 tackles, 169 pass deflections, 53 interceptions, and 7 touchdowns. Are you wanting to buy sports betting swag, shirts, gear, apparel and more? He scored 48 touchdowns in his first 50 games and a record six TDs on kickoff returns. Tajuan Edward was born on the 10th of February in 1974 in Pennsylvania. I set a goal to be one of the best husbands and best men that I could be. He finished his college playing career with 17 defended passes and 154 tackles. I appreciate the opportunity to be here today and dear friends of football fans, this is the greatest day of my life., He wanted to be a receiver. Willie Brown is credited with inventing the bump-and-run coverage that also most every NFL corner uses today. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. Joe Lavender 2 of 51 Watch more top videos, highlights, and B/R original content 48. Fill out the form below to subscribe to the Sports 2.0 Daily Digest email newsletter. I can be honest. Top 10 Longest Field Goals in NFL What is the NFL FG record? He was ranked by NFL network as the 2nd most feared tackler to ever play the game. Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments below. Dave Brown 3. Following his amazing success with the San Francisco 49ers, Sanders joined the Dallas Cowboys, and he remained on the team for four years until 1999. Widely considered the best CB of all time, Rod Woodson started his college football career at Purdue University. I wouldnt be standing here without that faith, which played a major role in my life. Man its truly a blessing. He also spent five seasons playing for the Detroit Lions between 1960 and 1965. So on behalf of all the black men that Ive mentioned tonight, and many more out there, whove had the most of the same experiences that Ive had in my lifetime, we say this to all of our white friends: When we tell you about our fears, please listen. The dual-sport star competed in multiple Super Bowls, one World Series, and gained notoriety for his excellence on the field and his personality off of it. Ranking top 10 cornerbacks, safeties in NFL: Marcus Peters lands redemption, Tyrann Mathieu steals the throne . The . He also has seven career postseason interceptions which rank 6th all-time, three of which he returned for touchdowns which ranks second only behind Asante Samuel. Two years after joining the Rams, Night Train Lane went to the Chicago Cardinals, where he played until 1959. You have to believe it yourself. And so I brought what my parents had taught me and what Jesus had said and I put that to work in my NFL career. So actually feel standing here today that I never reached that level, I never reached as good a football player as I could be, but thanks to God and inner talent I was able to present a picture to those individuals who were voting for the Hall of Fame and my longevity and the level of game that I played from my rookie season to my last.. Theyre fast, sometimes flashy, and incredibly intimidating. Now, if she says its okay, then its okay. When we tell you were afraid for our kids, please listen., Two things Darrell Green would always say to me that stuck with me, is your hands are great and your feet are better. Knup Sports works with a number of event companies in the sports betting & iGaming industry. The new rule didnt affect Blounts production, though. In all, Revis totalled 29 interceptions, plus six forced fumbles and three defensive touchdowns throughout his career. But for all intents and purposes, this list will have Hall of Fame players in the top 18 to try and make it as less subjective as we can. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. Champ Bailey was drafted into the NFL in 1999, where he was selected by the Washington Redskins. Sanders finished his superior career in the NFL with 54 interceptions, 1,331 interception yards, 60 receptions, 784 receiving yards, and 22 touchdowns. Brown is seen above in Super Bowl XI, returning an interception for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings, one of the most famous images in NFL history. March Madness Everything You Need To Know, The Best Ball Handlers in NBA History Top 10 of All Time. Lester Hayes, Cornerback. That was the unofficial time. The dedication to the craft was real! Top 5 cornerbacks of all-time to play for Jets | FOX Sports Gave them the lessons to wait, to be patient, to learn, and their time would come. Aside from leading his team to three Super Bowl titles, amazing Blount was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1975. 6 min read. He entered the NFL Draft in 2007, and he was selected by the New York Jets, where he remained until 2012. In 2022, Slay started off hot. Once the rule was implemented, Blount still managed to have 22 interceptions in his career 57. For his career, he recorded 908 tackles, 52 interceptions (26th all time), and 203 passes defended, the most by any player in NFL history. During that stretch, Bailey was a three-time first-team All-Pros, had 21 Interceptions and 56 pass breakups, and was second in defensive player of the year voting in 2006. One of the most versatile cornerbacks of his era, Darrell Green helped Washington's franchise collect two Super Bowl titles in a four-year span. They say I played the game with heart and determination. A blazing undersized corner carved out a 20-year career in the NFL, winning two Super Bowls and making the 1990s NFL All-Decade Team. My son has blessed me., Charles Woodson: @ProFootballHOF Class of 2021. For his career, Woodson recorded 71 interceptions (third all time) for 1,483 yards (second all time). Top 5 cornerbacks of all-time to play for Jets - thejetpress.com The beginning is God and I I would like to take time to acknowledge God in my spiritual beliefs because without my health and strength I wouldnt have been able to participate in football and it wouldnt be here. Woodson later won a title in Super Bowl XXXV as a free safety for the Baltimore Ravens. Looking into LSU's 5 best cornerbacks of all-time - LSU Wire All rights reserved. Ranking the NFL's Top 10 Cornerbacks in League History Adam Lazarus March 27, 2012 A year ago, the top free agent on the open market was soon-to-be former Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi. Big Play will always love the fans! It has been written that I played the game with a lot of poise. #PFHOF21 (by @postmates) pic.twitter.com/TagxWPmC5d. Below are a few of the upcoming events to take note of. However, stats wont be able to tell everything about Bailey. NFL's best players ever at every defensive position -- Is Lawrence Rod Woodson holds the NFL record for the most career interceptions returned for TDs (12). Then he turned into one of the greatest cornerbacks ever.Introducing the 79th greatest player in NFL history, as part of #TheAthleticNFL100: Mike Haynes. https://t.co/egrrtZLtMj pic.twitter.com/wIC5Qh7VMG, to be a good player at that game I had to work hard. However, nobody can deny he dominated the league during his era. I give God all the honor and praise for letting an undrafted free agent, country boy from little Angleton, Texas, enter the hallowed ground of the Pro Football Hall of FameThey say Im here because I played the game a certain way. The corner needs to have the wherewithal and skillset to keep up with the top wide receivers in the league, they need to be able to blitz and sack the quarterback, a good wrap-up tackler, and try to read plays to try and anticipate where the receivers heading on a route to deflect or pick off a pass. Rod Woodson made a compelling case as the most complete cornerback of all time, if not the greatest. #NewProfilePic pic.twitter.com/SvP7Fu2g7W, Since I got drafted to Detroit, the city has shown nothing but love & respect, imma really miss pulling up to all the high school games here in Detroit & showing yall love., I cant thank yall enough, Slay said in an Instagram post. Deion Sanders 2. Cromartie played his college career at Florida State and made a name for himself as a top. I am thankful for my brother, my sister who are here to witness this. Adderley also played in four of the first six Super Bowls, returning an interception for a 60-yard touchdown in Super Bowl II. Check out our sports betting calendar for a full schedule of events. I came from a beautiful family, a family that struggled in the deep south and instilled in their kids that you can do anything if you are willing to pay a price and you can be as good and you are just as good and it doesnt matter where you come from, it is where you are going that is what makes the difference between failure and success, Blount said. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. Bailey may also be one of the best tackling and run-support cornerbacks of all time with 832 solo career tackles, which ranks 28th all-time and fourth for cornerbacks. SUPERBOWL XXXDallas Cowboys vs Pittsburgh SteelersDeion Sanders#dcinterclubretro #vintagefootball #retro #throwback #dallascowboys #cowboys #CowboysNation #dallascowboysnation #dallas #primetimeDallas Cowboys International Club pic.twitter.com/XuEuDFeaET. There have been countless cornerbacks throughout the history of the National Football League that have played the game at such a high level that the results of a big game, the outcome of a season, or even a rule have been changed as a result of their actions. The seven-time Pro Bowler may not have the greatest statistics, at least when compared to other famous NFL cornerbacks. We were paid at least $3,500, and I didnt make that much more and still maintained in the perspective of the definitions of professionalism., Lane went on to say in his Hall of Fame enshrinement speech that he can only hope that while the players are striking for improvement that the black players will take this opportunity to band together and deal with the problems of no black coaches, no general managers and no quarterbacks in the NFLor (he) should say a few.. The Cowboys won 27 17, and Sanders spectacularly returned a punt for eleven yards. You cant wait for society to tell you youre beautiful or that youre a good person. We not only bring you whats happening in the world of sports in terms of trades and breaking news, but we also bring you the news that goes on behind the scenes, like big life moments, and so much more. Last but not least, Connor Rogers of NBC Sports reiterates the "plug-and-play" tag, with Pro Football Focus giving him a 92.3 overall grade in his final collegiate season, predicting that . Subscribe to Stathead Football: Get your first month FREEYour All-Access Ticket to the Pro Football Reference Database. Alan Zemaitis, Cornerback All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. 7. Potential first-round Patriots fits on display at Scouting Combine Campbell posted two consecutive seasons with over 100 tackles, ending his collegiate career with 299 total tackles, 12.5 for a loss, three sacks, five interceptions, ten passes defended, three. He made the change to safety in 1999 and primarily played that position while with the Ravens and Oakland Raiders, where he reached one more Super Bowl (a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2003) and closed out his career. In 2000, he received the Bart Starr Award and the Arizona Cardinals Ring of Honor. Top 32 cornerbacks in the NFL for the 2021 season | 1-10 In a pass-heavy league, the cornerback position has grown into one of the most important positions on the football field. He intercepted at least one pass in all 14 of his NFL seasons and topped the league in interceptions (11) in 1975, the same season he claimed Defensive Player of the Year. Knup Sports is a supporter and media partner of iGamingNEXT. Build your own custom leaderboards with Stathead Football. I said Im going to be rich one day. So take a minute and read one of our articles, we promise you won't regret it. Make sure to attend one of their upcoming events. Most Tackles By A Cornerback Career | StatMuse most tackles by a cornerback career Antoine Bethea has the most career tackles by a defensive back, with 995 tackles.