Ho Hum happy days and strange memories. The clubs Jeffrey ran in NEWCASTLE explain now why a lot of the music groups of the ROCK groups of the era needed 2 PULL!!! I am researching his club appearances in the UK any help would be ace. Many happy memories flooding back. I went to opening night and subsequent first Sunday of Whitley Bay AGoGo. Even better was the fact that he was actually staying at the same place as we were, the Pheasant Run Hotel. to commemorate these experiences I have recently cut a CD called Cats Nite Out on which I have included the R & R music we used then.I went on the sing throughout my life as a solo artiste, called Ray Donne for a period and then back to my real name. I was just a nipper at the time but I remember my folks going to all those clubs as well as Change Is. I have great memories of spending many nights, years later, listening to Nigel Stanger and Lindolph DOliviera playing with the East Side Torpedoes too. Your dad is on Jesmond and not too well at present, Re comment 72 by David Parks The Crays were huge guys ,looked the part and were decked out in very flash but obviously very expensive suits . Happy days .most of the time.no mention of New Orleans jazz club at Forth Banks..I assisted on the door and behind the bar at timesand I used to play with a local band called The Pilgrims..named after the Arcade in Pilgrim street where we were based ..always used to end up at the Asia Chinese on Bath Lane where the cheapest thing on the menu was Curried chicken livers with boiled rice for 2 bob in old money The Club AGogo was situated on Percy Street, Newcastle on the top floor of a building which was also above the famous Handyside Arcade (or Arcadia as it was sometimes called). Where did his photos go? Thank you again Roger Im now in trouble for being late for an appointment as Ive just read through all of the comments again!!! Its said the CID were only two steps behind them where ever they went from the minute they got here. - Mike Mezz. Alan Price was, I think, born in Jarrow and worked at the tax office. When they came to the Change Is there was always a heightend tension but they minded me, I guess since they were barred from most other clubs they didnt want to screw themselves up with this one. old now and remember the Change Is days like they were yesterday. So he cannot remember if the signage was still showing. I am particularly interested to hear you worked in Change Is (I went there regularly from 1971-74 approx) my memories are of great music James brown, Fatback Band, Hamilton Bohannon, Family- Burlesque and Timmy Thomas to name but a few. Me mam and dad met there in 1970 and Id love to get them a photo made? Does anyone remember the Sands Club at Whitley Bay which is where I met my husband, his favourite haunts were the Old Vic Whitley Bay and also the Sovereign pub which was a good starting point for an evening out. I lived in Whitley Bay in the apartment of a house owned by Jimmy Bence. Some of the other people there were Wally Nash (now a business man living in the USA) who managed the Marimba for Mike Jeffery and later the Blue Note in Sunderland for Ray Grehan; Sandford Goudie who owned the La Strada clubs in Sunderland and South Shields; Trixie Sullivan who was Mike Jefferys secretary and personal assistant (at the time he managed Jimi Hendrix), vocalist David Macbeth, Teddy Berg owner of Greys Club, Barabara Berg and Joan Tenniswood who both worked at the Club aGogo in the sixties. Does anyone remember her and her then boyfriend Ron Thomas who worked at the A Gogo (later going on to work at the Quay Club) always had an alsation with him and lived in Sandyford. Drink and lack of sleep took its toll.The candle which I burnt at both ends went out in 1977. Man that was a great band. Kennedy's Bar South Shields 5 Bars & Clubs Open now By steveL794 This is a great Little bar great atmosphere and is such a welcoming bar, well worth a visit great chilling bar 3. `you may already have it? five sat new vikings (wally mcgill sid cross etc)high five sun(myself alan hull mickey gallagher kenny anderson martin quinn)forgot to mention when a train rumbled over viaduct all the beers fell off! Did you ever go to the Playground on Westgate road -about the same time as I have a very grainy photo of the outside and also way before that I loved going to the Dive Bar part of the Swallow Hotel on Newgate Street? Does anyone remember the Carousel Club in Chester le Street? Hello .would anyone have any information on Ken White..he was in a double act..Collins and Wright I believemy Dad was Ken and My Godfather was Lenny. Went to a Motown concert at the Sunderland Empire a couple of years ago and, would you believe it, sitting next to me was Frank Pemberton who used to own Club 11 in Sunderland with Mickey Pemberton (I think). Buy Tickets . I remember being a young teenager and the Junco Partners practising in the bedroom at my family home Caroline Cottages, John is my brother and I do remember Pete Wallis being the keyboard player and amazing they are still playing after all these years. Hey everyone Bernie MacKie was rhythm guitar and started his working life in a shop on Gateshead High St. called Barkers, an electrical shop. He is 93 living in South Africa. Step-by-step guide to what you can do if your landlord won't fix your boiler, You shouldn't be left shivering if your central heating breaks down, but you can't take the law into your own hands, Inside the Whitley Bay butchers that has been serving Geordies for more than 100 years, Kathryn Meadows is the fourth generation of the family to take over Nicholsons Butchers in Whitley Bay, The Whickham house which has stood unfinished for almost two decades, Completion on this renowned property, which was first granted planning permission by Gateshead Council in 1998, could finally be reached within two years, Newcastle anger Man City players and Eddie Howe may face an emotional decision - 5 things, Newcastle United lost 2-0 against Man City at the Etihad and here are five things we learned from the game after Phil Foden and Bernardo Silva fired the reigning champions to victory, Sunderland 1-5 Stoke City: Highlights and reaction as Black Cats humiliated by Alex Neil's Potters, All the latest from the Stadium of Light as Tony Mowbray's Black Cats take on former boss Alex Neil and his Stoke City side, Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle player ratings: Lascelles impresses and Isak makes impact, Newcastle United wasted good chances against Manchester City, Lotto results draw LIVE: Winning Lotto numbers for Saturday, March 4, We will be bringing live breaking updates and results from the National Lottery's Lotto and Thunderball draw on Saturday, March 4, Arsenal's Partey pays emotional tribute to ex-Newcastle star Christian Atsu after last-minute win, The Arsenal midfielder honoured the former Newcastle United man following the 3-2 win over Bournemouth, 'We're getting closer' - Eddie Howe determined to stick with Newcastle principles despite shaky form, Newcastle United were beaten 2-0 by Man City at the Etihad Stadium, Vicky Pattison opens Dirty Gertie's - the 'world first' mullet-only salon in Newcastle, Vicky Pattison arrived by rickshaw to celebrate the opening of a rather unique salon, How tip offs helped DWP fraud investigators catch these benefit cheats, The team in Newcastle can spend years investigating cases to bring swindlers to court, Eddie Howe's 'vital' Newcastle group almost change Man City game as positive found in defeat, Eddie Howe now has a vast bench to choose from at Newcastle United, 380 homes without heating or hot water in Stanley after water gets into the gas pipes, People in Stanley have been left without heating and hot water overnight after problems with gas and water mains, Snow set to hit rural areas but miss more built-up parts of the region, North East is set for Met Office yellow weather warning of snow and ice from Monday to Tuesday - but some parts will remain relatively unscathed, Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United: Missed chances and Pep Guardiola tactical switch cost Magpies, Newcastle United lose to Man City at the Etihad Stadium once again on a day of squandered opportunities, Olympic Gold Medalist Rebecca Adlington to open swimming facility in Benton, To celebrate its opening the centre is offering a week of free introductory swimming lessons for all children aged 0-11 years old for a limited time, Eddie Howe reflects on defeat at Man City and felt Newcastle kept champions 'quiet', Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe looks back on the defeat in the Premier League, Suspected drunk driver who could hardly walk facing jail after refusing blood test, Newcastle University student, Xupeng Liu, also had no insurance or licence when he was pulled over in Newcastle City Centre, Walker drunk arrested after ranting about tragic Nicola Bulley also damaged a police car, Alexander Burns, who has previous convictions for criminal damage after writing his own name on Metro station walls, has been ordered to pay compensation. I know I had a great time working at many NE clubs during the late sixties and early seventies. Does anyone remember my dad Mike Mccormick who worked for teddy berg at greys, Having read through these posts I dont think anyone has mentioned the fantastic group called the Gas Board they played at the Quay Club also the Majestic, Theres a bit about the Gas Board on this page, Liz: http://readysteadygone.co.uk/bryan-ferry/. 15 years of age in 1962. my 1st beer was in the railwaiy, whist livin on hillheads road. I later joined the Gamblers backing Billy Fury. He played a vital role in its history and the history of Newcastles night life in the 60s. After the refurb of the Crescendo I carried on working for Ray firstly on his new house in Forest Hall and then on his new project which was amusement arcades in Sheffield and Nottingham I think he was talked into these by his brother in law I dont think his heart was in this part of the business as he loved the buzz of music and clubs when the Crescendo burned down he went on to buy The Deleval Arms on Scotswood road but it never opened.The last time I saw him was around 1977 but he seemed to have lost his sparkle definitely not the man I knew.As I had moved away from the area shortly after this I was shocked to learn years later that he had passed away he had been one of the best bosses I ever had. Theres also a poster from the 60s of The Seaburn Hall when the Crusaders supported the Moody Blues. The club, which is in Greys Court at the bottom of Grey Street, has had several makeovers since opening as a cabaret club in the early sixties. Buy tickets from a trusted primary outlet. So if you two ever want to meet up just let me know, my email is david.coates@autosounds.co.uk. The line up was Ken Brady, Jimmy Crawford, Alan Blacks, Barry Preston, Spud Tate ( sadly passed away ). 2. The Marimba Coffee House on High Bridge, Newcastle (off Grey Street) was another venue opened by Mike Jeffery. Dave Finlay was a very good decorator and I used to pick him up at his house in Jesmond and travel on to Whitley Bay At the time the club was only open on Friday and Saturday evenings . There is a good article by The Evening Chronicle when the last record went on sale in auction. The building that housed the Marimba no longer exists. You and I used to share guitar vocals with Ken Maddison in the early 70s at La Strada until I moved to Montego Bay. #11 of 20 Nightlife in South Shields. When they played The Cellar Club, So. went to most of the other clubs mentioned, brilliant times ? Another guy from that era I worked with was the tragic big Geordie Short, his group Bits & Pieces were well known around the WMC scene, they ended up as resident group at the now demolished Mount Pleasant club. It was said that the floor levels could be permutated fifteen different ways and that the dcor could be changed at will by projecting images onto the curved walls. unfortunately I missed the Go Go but spent many happy hours at The Dolce,Sloopys,Cavendish,Bloomers (Change Is) Ruperts,Annabels ,Sands Club,Sombrero,Chelsea Cat,Julies,Burgundy Cobbler,Latino,Fiesta the list goes on and on saw some great live acts over the years. The Dolly Peel 12 Bars & Clubs Open now By SteveLorro Very cosy little pub, friendly atmosphere, friendly staff and plenty of beers to choose from. There used to be a competition in the Panama dip in Whitley Bay in the summer which usually featured the same three groups which were the Wildcats, the Sixteen Strings & the invaders. Anyway, I moved to the states in 1970 and after moving around a lot I ended up here in California where I have a couple of gyms. Hi Fred A TOUCH OF VELVET, A STING OF BRASS your intro tune? old nightclubs in south shields - kvkraigad.org They always wore wine coloured suits and cowboy small ties. Top 10 Nightlife in South Shields, England - Things To Do The demon drink (Pernod) was to blame. Served lovely meals and had big Manny Burgo, ex-boxer on the door. Does nobody remember the Jimmy Bence Orchestra the resident band at the Mayfair? Great site.Keep it up, Paul x. Hello, this has been a great read. Bars & Clubs. It was a great place to go to if you liked dancing which I did. Below is a modern day aerial view with the same locations marked (some of the original buildings have now gone). As a PS Leam Lane WMC still have a thriving group night on Fridays, they also have a first class resident duo in Dougie and Carl, not many if any clubs still have live backing for the turns. Just discovered this site. Just stumbled across it whilst looking at pics. Went to nearly all the clubs mentioned. Fond memories of him. Sadly Geordie is now in a care home after having several serious strokes and has no memory. :)Alas, me and my friends said theyd never be famous with a name like that!!!!! The photo is of her from when she used to sing at Mayfair and when she appeared on American Bandstand. Yes Trever. When the bingo hall closed in 2005, the Academy Music Group bought the building and converted it back to a music venue. He was a good friend many years ago. Anyone wanting to get in touch holland.A1@sky.com, Great to see all this stuff ,Ive been searching for a record I heard at the GoGo in about 67/68.Ive no idea what it was caled or who it was by ,the only bit I can remember was it was either called or had a line in it ..youve got roses in your soul Alfie. The Marimba opened in 1959 serving Italian food and snacks during the day at prices students could afford. I cant believe that we dont have a single photos of inside the club? I also worked through Ivan Burchall, as well as for myself. Sharing the ladies toilets with the staff from the bus company in the same building. Stumbled over your great website while searching for music in Newcastle in the 60s. A long time ago! We all used to gather around the juke box trying to get our favourite records played. Sandra ditched me after a couple of years and went to London and then Italy where she sadly died aged about 21. Just stumbled across your website. Hi David, great to hear from someone who worked in so many places, back in the disco days, doing such an important job by providing the fab music. Re the Dolce Vita. He later managed Hendrix and Slade. Post author: Post published: June 23, 2022 Post category: assorted ornament by ashland assorted ornament by ashland Before then, they always return false. The Mayfair Ballroom opened by the Mecca organization on 12th September 1961 and continued to be a major venue in the city for 38 years. I had the Landlords bitter the following day in Wetherspoons and it tasted . Yes, Bob Monkhouse did own Change Is until it became Bloomers, I think. We got on talking about old Sunderland and thats how I found out who he was. Great band, very professional. If anyone has any input on my post please respond. The photograph was taken in the dressing room of The Tavern/Latino in South Shields (my memory for dates etc is very hazy)The lion was a pet and belonged to one of the acts playing at the club. John and I are celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary today and so have been looking back to when we first met in two very special nightclubs in newcastle (long gone but never forgotten) mainly Change Is (later known as Bloomers) and our very favourite place Scamps. The lion was not part of the act, the guy just had it as a pet,it was amazing when he walked into the club with the lion on the lead. 69 Club Westgate Street plus MANY social clubs all around the North East. Vintage photos of clubs and bands in N.J. - nj.com Real name "Northumberland Arms". Unofficially, the jazz sessions at the Marimba continued long after midnight. i was told geoff used to have a club in NEWCASTLE called the dive bar, he sang and played GUITAR in the rooms my parents moved to SOUTH SHIELDS, CIRCA 68, I was born in 67, into the county hotel, where my mother died EIGHT YEARS later. Can you remember what the music was that was played at the start of every evening- was it by the BarKays? Hi, could anybody please give me any information about my father geoff manning aka harry branson gorst, who married my MOTHER, irene graham. which was poor quality, scratches etc. [Just stumbled across this, I am the son of David Finlay please put all your stories from the hay days so I can get some sort of history to pass on to my kids as my mother jackie and davey split up when I was a baby and I only have his reputation to talk of and dont know if what I am told is true. My grandfather owned a number of clubs and pubs before WW2, including Balmbras in the Cloth Market, of Blaydon Races fame, and Uncle Toms Cabin, an infamous sailors pub in North Shields. FANTASTIC SITE. Has had a number of . Used to visit all the above clubs including the strange Muscle Inn..the Downbeat was something else.I cant even remember a Gents toilet being there.but there was a backyard that we used! I met my first girlfriend Yvonne there, started going to the Downbeat also Club Eleven in Sunderland with my close pal Rod. I was only 18/19 years old and really loved the beat, the melody the arrangement and have been hooked all my life. Jean McGowan ( still dancing) xx, Hi David I also used to be a DJ at the New Cellar Jazz Club later the Chelsea Cat sent some pics etc for the site good to hear you are still with us great memories of a great time in our lives. The person I refer to is David Finlay(spelt right) he is my farther and he was married to my mother Jackie for 3 years he had me and my sister with my mother, they split up not long after I was born and never really had any contact with us, you are confusing the name with the other Davey Finley of the same era but funny enough I also have an uncle Tommy who is my fathers brother but they are not the ones u think!! The builders had only erected the wall a few days earlier HAPPY DAYS !!! LA DOLCE VITA CRAZY NIGHTS!!! A slideshow of pictures taken at Laygate South Shields in the 50's & 60's.. Pictures by Bill Claverly & narrated by Janet Wylie The original building has been demolished and has been replaced by a modern block, which now houses offices and a restaurant. I seem to recall that The Rocking Berries played there on one occasion in the Spring of 1967 and they dedicated Hes in Town to my girlfriend Margaret Armstrong. I always thought of the area just as you opened the double doors as the viewing platform. Cant anyone remember a local band used to play in the dolce la vita called the bits and pieces? me and me mates were rockers, wed move down to the rockliffe arms and the station hotel then the club a go go. I would just like to know anything about the soulless pos. Yes I was a big fan of The Kon-Tors, the forerunners of The Animals. Many people (including myself) have mentioned photographs, or rather a lack of them and I wondered if it would be at all possible to make a plea for any photos your readers may have relating to 60s clubland 1972, Please forgive me if this is something youve already covered but photos bring back so many memories it may be worth another go? The casino in La Strada (photo courtesy of Rob Quinn), 1963 advertisement for La Strada (courtesy of Rob Quinn), 1965 Advertisement for La Strada (Courtesy of Rob Quinn), Resident group the Crusaders with La Strada owner, Sandford Goudie on the right with a conga drum (photo courtesy of Rob Quinn). We always met at the Pit for coffee where we decided what time to meet before going to the Club Ago Go. old nightclubs in south shields charles upham daughters Does anyone remember anyone from there? any stories to share or anyone who knows my granddad or great uncles feel free to share! Some time later I joined the Gamblers. All The Clubs from back in the day | Facebook Remember some of the places between 1968 to 73 as a 18 plus year old. My dad nicknamed one of youre daughters shoulders I think her name was Siobhan or Dionne or something? They gave me a flyer which had their past and present in it. Pete Coulson here ,was lead singer with the Pilgrims & later Bassist with the Hillcresters e mail is geordie38@wildblue.net would like to correspond & anyone else who remembers me from those good times,now living nr.Boston USA, cheers, Hi Holly here lead singer with Toby Twirl. I read all the stuff about The Maj and Rue And the Rockets, does anyone remember the resident DJ, a young girl (said to be the youngest professional DJ around. In North Shields, for quite a long time in the 60's, the basement of "The Jungle" was a night club. 9. ___________________________________________________________________________. The only place in South Shields at the time that charged an entry fee. It opened in 1959 and ran for around 6 years. ___________________________________________________________________________. Tommy Oxley can be seen in the film Get Carter. We worked many times in Newcastle and the North East area. Rumour had it that the ex-Club AGogo bouncer Dave Findlay and his brother Tommy were going to put in appearance. Thanks Anyway, I hope your life is going well Trevor. Today, the pub is called Kennedy's 3 of 10 The. Chirpy with a ready smile you were always a favourite of the Gamblers female fans. David and Tommy Finlay did work the door at the Crescendo Club in Whitley Bay. Sloopys Disco was opened upstairs at the Dolcey. A couple of years ago we were in Benidorm and we got talking to these three couples, one of them said You are obviously from the Newcastle area, where did you go on Friday nights in Toon ? I answered The Maj Ok he said, now who where the resident group ? Rue and the Rockets I answered, Well meet Rue and the Rockets, its us three and we are still going in fact we are on the Dynastic tonight. However at night it became a private membership club with jazz being served up by some of the best musicians around. George, John is still looking to see if he has any photos of the entrance to Bloomers on Bath Lane. Chunky on drums used to work at Cut-Outs at the top of Byker Road before they were taken over by Field Cartons and moved to Killingworth. The Old Ship Inn (South Shields) - Tripadvisor I used to work at the Oxford with Don Smith and Jims 2 room as singer with the trio. Brings back many memories. old nightclubs in south shields - mail.fgcdaura.sch.ng Davey, worked at club agogo sadly passed away yesterday morning great man. Great article, as with Michael(the previous poster)I have a family connection to these times. I remember you Chic Reid if you see this please get in touch. Youve managed to make a truly great website even better THANK YOU!!! The club was taken over by the Bailey Group in 1965.