He's the school record-holder in both assists (657) and steals (325) - ranking second in Atlantic 10 history for steals and eighth in assists. St. Bonaventure guard Kyle Lofton scores two points over Richmond Spiders forward Nathan Cayo last February. Bob Lanier speaks at the dedication of the Reilly Center court to him in 2007. 60 in the NET rankings, the sorting tool the NCAA Tournament committee uses in selecting the 68-team field. It was an evening where David nearly beat Goliath, and, thanks in large part to Crawfords talents, where a small school from Western New York almost beat the top-ranked team in the country. The St. Bonaventure Bonnies men's basketball (formerly the St. Bonaventure Brown Indians) team is the college basketball team that represents St. Bonaventure University, located near the city of Olean, New York.The school's team currently competes in the Atlantic 10 Conference and plays its home games at the Reilly Center.The Bonnies are currently coached by all-time coaching wins leader Mark . Bonas and Niagara seemed to have a good rapport with each other.. Bremer ranks ninth on SBU's all-time scoring list with 1,732 points and led the Bonnies to three postseason appearances (NCAA Tournament in 2000 and NIT in 2001 and 2002). He realized that the ending to the game nearly 55 years ago could have been different. You have permission to edit this article. Green ranks ninth all-time in school history scoring (1,734 points) and is first in 3-pointers made (281), assists (657) and steals (325). Last time I saw Pistons superstar BOB LANIER was several years ago when he spent the weekend at my house as he attended my Gala. We hope that you enjoy our free content. The basketball success in that era was known for something else during Stiths playing days: a prominent home-game win streak. A silky-smooth left-hander with a lethal hook shot and mid-range jumper, Lanier averaged 27.2 points and 15.5 rebounds a game his junior year and 29.1 points and 16 rebounds his senior season. Thank you for reading! There was a problem saving your notification. St. Bonaventure Basketball Centennial Season All-Time Team Announced In three seasons on the basketball court, Carter became a member of the 1,000-point club with 1,322 points and averaged 19.4 points per game. Otis Birdsong, the Houston star who was #4 in scoring in the nation and a UPI first team All-American, led the Cougars with 30 points. A miss by Sanders, in Satalins eyes, wouldnt have meant defeat. Bob Woollard, a 6-10 center later drafted by the New York Knicks, scored 10 points and grabbed 11 rebounds off the Wake Forest bench to contribute to the Demon Deacon win. Satalin pointed to the Bona free throw shooting (32-46) that resulted from Houstons 29 fouls. He was inducted into the SBU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1990. The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team is doing more than taking on the Richmond Spiders on Saturday in an Atlantic 10 matchup. He became the seventh player in the 35-year history of the league to earn both Rookie and Player of the Year honors and the first St. Bonaventure player to earn the top overall award since Earl Belcherwon two such honors in 1980 and 1981. Not a lot of people knew what they wanted to be at that age, but I did. The MVP of the 1974 NBA All-Star game, Lanier had his No. I think we could have extended the game and had an opportunity to win, he said. And then the worst thing in the world that could happen (vs. Villanova) Billys (Kalbaugh) going down on a break, I turn around, and boom, a guy falls into my knee. Orange County girls basketball top 25, Jan. 31, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Saturdays OC schedule for the basketball, soccer CIF SoCal Regional playoffs, Marina girls basketball earns its revenge against Gahr, advances to regional semifinals, Boys and girls basketball: Thursdays scores, updated schedule for CIF SoCal Regional playoffs, Strong finish lifts Orange Lutheran past St. Pius X-St. Matthias in boys basketball regional playoffs, St. Bernard falls short against Mater Dei in boys basketball regional playoffs, Live high school updates: CIF Southern California Regional basketball, soccer playoffs, Orange County girls water polo Top 10: Orange Lutheran finishes No. St. Bonaventure vs Buffalo: 2021-22 college basketball game preview, TV schedule Share The St. Bonaventure Bonnies will host the Buffalo Bulls on Saturday in a battle between two of the. Saint Louis began Monday at No. There was a problem saving your notification. Not only because it was a return to the tournament, but it was also a win, and it was a game that the Reilly Center hadnt seen in a long timegetting to play a post-season game and come away with a win, he said. Havlicek won eight NBA championships with the Boston Celtics, and both he and Lucas were named to the 50 greatest NBA player list in 1997. In what was St. Bonaventures tenth overall trip to the NIT, Coach Jim Satalin was a realistic optimist in his first look at the list of 16 teams in 1977, something he even remembers 45 years later. Athletes also will be tested when they arrive on campus, and they will complete a daily health screen through an app before they attend classes or team activities. Dan Albano has been a high school sports writer at The Orange County Register since 1993. ALLEGANY The St. Bonaventure mens basketball team likely let out a collective sigh of relief as the buzzer sounded Monday night at the Reilly Center. Ohio State entered the in-season tournament ranked #1 in the country, while the Bonnies were fifth in the UPI poll. All you have to do is activate your access. According to the OTH writer, they were dazed as though in disbelief that a dear friend had departed from this life.. The Bonnies prevailed despite 17 turnovers, the last of which could have been most costly. His 247 steals were at the time a school record and a total that still ranks fourth in program history. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. More Videos. The 1966 Bennett High School graduate was a three-time Converse college All-America selection who helped the Bonnies reach the 1970 Final Four, and he became a Hall of Famer. Were moving it [the ball] around, the clock is ticking off, and [teammate] Larry Weise yelled at me when I got the ball to drive to the hoop. Being called for a charge on that last shot, particularly after committing the foul to allow Niagara to take the lead, may have affected his subsequent time in a Bona uniform. In an interview on the day of the Reilly Center Arena floor dedication in 2007, Lanier wept recalling how devastated he was not being able to play in the Final Four. That whole dynamic was very interesting., The Bonnies entered the Holiday Festival with the third most potent offense in the country, averaging 92 points a game. With a Digital Only subscription, you'll receive unlimited access to our website and e-edition. Vanterpool helped lead the Bonnies back to national respect, taking Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors in 1991-92. Lanier was also known for his legendary extra-large sneakers, size 22, one of which has been on display at the Buffalo History Museum. Years later, Lanier was instrumental in bringing the Final Four team back to campus every few years for an under-the-radar reunion few people knew was happening. Lanier's death was announced this morning by St. Bonaventure. That gave us an opportunity to call timeout and say, OK, we have plenty of time here. Hand sanitizer and disinfectants will also be available in all buildings and areas accessed by athletes. Three other startersJohn Havlicek, Larry Siegfried, and Mel Nowellsubsequently played in the NBA. Bill Butler I've worked in sports journalism since 1997 and I have covered everything from college football to the Stanley Cup playoffs, high school sports and the NCAA Tournament. The Reilly Center Arena court where the Bonnies have played since 1966 was named after Lanier in 2007. Playing at a time in college basketball when players werent eligible to play at the varsity level until their sophomore year, Stith also collected 620 rebounds, rather impressive for a 6-2 guard/forward. In this Dec. 7, 2019 file photo, Bob Lanier speaks during a celebration of the 1969-70 St. Bonaventure mens basketball team as teammate Billy Kalbaugh looks on Saturday at the Reilly Center. Belcher averaged 19.9 points per game and was a member of the NCAA Tournament team in 1978, and also played on the 1979 NIT team. A player in the NBA for Washington and New Jersey, Vanterpool today is a well-respected NBA assistant coach, today with Minnesota and previous with Portland. Would you like to receive our breaking news? No question, he said. 1. When I got the job here 11 years ago, we heard the stories about 1970 and how disappointing it was that Lanier got hurt and they didn't have a chance to have a full team going to play Jacksonville," Schmidt said. Buffalo sports' greatest what-ifs: Would Bona have beaten UCLA in 1970 title game? He ranks fifth in rebounds with 849 including a career-high 305 in 1966-67. Just how good was the story. Though growing up closer to Olean than to Winston-Salem, Chappell took his high school experience from a small town near Johnstown, PA, to become a two-time ACC Player of the Year. (Records through Sunday, Jan. 30) 1. It was a tough call to have at that particular time of the game, and that saved them their undefeated season, he said. Sign up today! Mark Jones 31 on their uniforms this season, the school's athletic department anno, Lanier made the NBA All-Star Game in seven of his first eight seasons. They werent built that way. UMass 71, St. Bonaventure 60 | Agate | thecourierexpress.com His No. He. Greater Olean, NY Local News | TAPinto Would you like to receive our daily headlines? And the NIT game with Southern Mississippi was significant on a number of levels, according to Tommasino. Tournament Game. Just make sure were talking on screens, because we knew they were going to come down and get a quick shot up. 16 jersey retired by the Pistons and Bucks, to whom Lanier was traded in 1980. Cloudy. But Houston was not like that. The team lost 6-7 forward/center Bob Rozyczko and his 17 points per game average to graduation, but the foursome of Hollis, Baron, Hagan, and Sanders brought a 55 points-per-game average into the 76-77 season. His roll that postseason continued with 19 points and 18 rebounds vs. Villanova and he also scored 16 points in the Final Four vs. Jacksonville. The students put me on their shoulders and carried me off the court, he recounted, adding that he almost hit his head on the overhang in exiting the Armory court. They made us pay for it. We send our deepest condolences to Bobs family and friends.. The Class of 2023 is headlined by former men's . As a senior, he averaged 17.5 ppg and was named First Team All-A-10. Glenn Hagan I thought there was enough time left, he recalled. St. Bonaventure basketball players return to campus this month. By the time that Stith joined the varsity squad in 1957, the streak of victories in the Olean (NY) Armory had gained national attention. The defensive guy played me for the charge, so I pulled up and banked it off the backboard, Stith remembered. His #22 jersey was raised to the Reilly Center rafters upon his 1969 induction to the Universitys Athletics Hall of Fame. I was in a hospital bed and I watched them bust their butts against Artis (Gilmore) and Pembrook (Burrows) and I know that I could have helped them overcome that. Lanier returned to campus less than two years later, in December 2019, when Bona honored the 50th anniversary of the 1970 Final Four team. St. Bonaventure started 0-3 before win streaks of four and five games boosted them in the home stretch of the season. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, City mourns Buffalo firefighter Jason Arno as investigation into fatal fire launches, Buffalo firefighter makes 'ultimate sacrifice' in blaze that may have sparked backdraft, Paula's Donuts to move Clarence store that faced backlash for tax breaks to Amherst, Vandal damages 'brokenhearted' Russell Salvatore's tribute park in Lancaster, Chad Hall's departure from Buffalo Bills to Jaguars remains a bit of a mystery. The Billikens cut the lead to 81-79 with 30.6 seconds left on Thatchs free throws. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. For St. Bonaventure, there would be no rematch against Ohio State, which eventually suffered an overtime loss to Cincinnati in the NCAA championship game. The University at Buffalo athletic department will begin allowing its athletes to return to campus this week to take part in voluntary workout, Some schools are releasing data in the name of transparency, while at least 13 athletic departments at FBS schools,including UB, are citing s, The NFL intends to play games in full stadiums this season. We had so much fun together over the years in Motown . Keep reading with unlimited digital access. Called the best team in the East, the story related that the enterprising Bonnies could get a rematch against Ohio State, the only team to beat them to that point in the season. Rosary (13-7): Kaylee Byon had 30 points and seven assists in a 65-55 victory against Orange Lutheran last week. As a senior in 2001-02, he averaged 24.6 points per game and scored 738 points that season alone. The Hagan-Baron backcourt flourished against Villanova, which ultimately finished third in the tournament. If athletes are flagged from the screening, they will be evaluated by a physician. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. Would you like to receive our ads to go? In an 83-79 win against Saint Louis, the Bonnies saw the Billikens outrebound them, outshoot them and outhustle them in the final seven minutes as Saint Louis cut a 15-point deficit to two with 30.6 seconds left. Mike Harrington: His team looks good, even without Alex Tuch. On top of that, he hadnt made a basket the entire game. The Reilly Center fans were energized for the post-season matchup with Southern Mississippi. Down 40-36 at halftime, the Bonnies faltered in the second half, facing an 11-point deficit with eight minutes remaining. ST. BONAVENTURE Bob Lanier, the greatest basketball player in St. Bonaventure University history, died early today surrounded by family in Arizona. Thank You! He specializes in football and all the aquatics but covers many different sports. The captain of the 1959-60 team when he averaged 20.5 ppg, his No. Just ask the guy in the co-pilot's seat in 'Airplane!'. National media, including Sports Illustrated, headed to the corner of Times Square and Barry Street for the February 25 spectacle. I felt comfortable that we would be very competitive in this game for sure.. That was our feeling. It hurt me to my heart that my guys were going (to the tourney) without me, Lanier said. In 52 years, only his career points record has been surpassed by three men who played 29, 37 and 48 more games than Lanier did, when freshmen were allowed to play varsity (after 1972) and schedules grew larger. A game that St. Bonaventure should have won, remarked Tommasino. One team in the field was the University of Houston Cougars, coached by Guy Lewis, who ended up winning nearly 600 games in his 30 years as its head coach. Tom Stith St. Bonaventure tied the score at 61 with 11:20 left, but Niagara surged ahead behind 70 percent shooting in the second half. Syracuse got the subsequent NCAA bid (32 teams at the time) and lost in the second round to Charlotte, 81-59. The Atlantic 10 announced the pairings Thursday. Crawford was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1970. A consensus All-American twice (1969, '70), Lanier finished his career as the St. Bonaventure record holder in seven categories including points (2,067), rebounding (1,180), single-game scoring (51 points vs. Seton Hall), single-game rebounding (27 vs. Loyola MD), single-season rebounding (416), single-season shooting percentage (.586) and average rebounds in one season (16.0 rpg) in 1969-70. The St. Bonaventure Basketball Centennial Season All-Time Team: Jaylen Adams