refugees from Hitsat and Shimelba camps are currently missing. Eritrea. We will continue to merge any new topics that are created about this Breaking News. Around 3,000 former residents of Shimelba and Hitsat have reportedly Furthermore, Jehovahs Witnesses decline to participate in political elections. They were focused on trying to take everything of value, she added, saying that they even stole diapers. , Amazing how Jehovah moved those authorities to release them - the officials are probably scratching their heads, wondering why. ultimate responsibility for human rights violations that are allegedly being Several new topics have been merged into this topic. Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of the imprisonment of three Jehovah's Witnesses in Eritrea, where they have been subject to torture and allowed little contact with the world outside the prison walls. Ten other men have been in prison for over ten years. Because they will not participate in compulsory military service, Eritrean authorities consider them to be opposed to the regime. By signing up you will receive news about CSW's work and how you can support it. Acts 5:19 But at night Jehovah's angel opened the prison doors and led them out .Jehovah is in control, and at his appointed time . we are so happy on their behalf and yours. In October last, 69 Christians had been released, apparently due to the Covid, but five more had been arrested. . In December 24 Jehovah's Witnesses were freed, among them high-profile conscientious objectors Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam, who had been held for 26 years. In a sudden turn of events, the man himself was put in prison. Since there are no effective domestic legal procedures or remedies available to them, their imprisonment amounts to a de facto life sentence. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here. To enjoy our website, you'll need to enable JavaScript in your web browser. Big cities run by Democrats for decades are now supposedly 'ungovernable', HBO's sexploitation is a workers' rights travesty, WATCH: Steven Spielberg likens rise in antisemitism to 'Germany in the '30s', AOC gloats after construction of Virginia Amazon headquarters delayed as company cuts jobs, Alex Murdaugh trial: Watch the key video that could've sealed guilty murder verdict. I also welcome the release, on 4 December 2020, of 24 Jehovahs Witnesses, including the three conscientious objectors, Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam, who had been held for 26 years, and whose cases were highlighted by the former UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Eritrea in her statement during the presentation of her report to the Human Rights Council in June 2020, and her interactive dialogue with the UN General Assembly on 26 October 2020. ", In one case of torture at Sawa, a witness said unsuccessful deserters were tied to a corpse: One had been shot running away, the other two had their hands tied to the feet of the dead person. The prisoners had been held between two and 12 years. Od wielu lat wadze Erytrei bez procesw i aktw oskarenia pod zarzutem dziaalnoci religijnej lub bez podania powodu aresztuj i wtrcaj do wizienia wiadkw Jehowy, w tym kobiety i starcw. The trioidentified as Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariamhave been incarcerated in. Funny story, last several days they were on my mind more than usual. Victory: 70 Christians Released From Three Eritrean Prisons https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=502019283&par=2. JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community In practice, human rights activists claim, the other faiths present in the country are not allowed to register, stripping them of their protections under the law: Last week, seven religious schools were seized by the government, including ones run by Protestant, Muslim and Catholic groups. both had been extensively and deliberately destroyed. 70 Christians Released From Prison in Eritrea - BCNN5 Africa He was young and a person of impeccable character.". CSW said they were detained without charge or trial, and "should never have been incarcerated". As of September 17, 2019, three of the Witnesses, Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos, and Negede Teklemariam, have been unjustly incarcerated for 25 years. In their August report, the Jehovah's Witnesses called on Eritrea to release the 52 prisoners, grant full citizenship rights to Jehovah's Witnesses, and permit conscientious objection to military service. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. On December 4, 2020, 26 brothers and 2 sisters in Eritrea were set free after being imprisoned for their faith. Most do not know how long they will remain in prison. Press briefing note on Myanmar/Bangladesh - Rohingya, UN expert implores Myanmars Suu Kyi: open your eyes, listen, feel with your heart, National institutions and regional mechanisms. On 6 July 2017, the European Parliaments resolution on Eritrea, notably the cases of Abune Antonios and Dawit Isaak, condemned in the strongest terms Eritreas systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations, and called upon the Eritrean Government to put an end to detention of the opposition, journalists, religious leaders and innocent civilians. detained. On 27 January 2021, six female prisoners detained for worshipping in public in September 2020 in Dekemhare, south-east of Asmara, were also released. We need your help to continue this work. On 4 December 2020, the government released 24 Jehovah's Witnesses, including the high-profile conscientious objectors Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam, who had been held for 26 years, and whose cases were highlighted by the former UN Special Rapporteur on Eritrea in her final statement to the UN Third Committee in New York in . We believe no one should suffer discrimination, harassment or persecution because of their beliefs. Is this video confirmed ? The women were arrested for worshiping in public, a video of which was shared by some on social media, CSW said. He has been imprisoned for the past 25 years. attention from the countrys active role in the ongoing Now for the rest of our brothers and sister's to come on out!!! not obscure the Eritrean regimes continued complicity in egregious violations Interesting article from the Experiences of Jehovahs Witnesses series. The new president declared that Eritrean-born Jehovahs Witnesses were no longer considered citizens primarily because they stood firm to their position of Christian neutrality by refusing to take part in National Service. As of 1 June 2020, HRWF documented 55 cases of Jehovahs Witnesses in its Prisoners Database,[2] 46 men and 9 women. I also received first-hand accounts of allegations of grave human rights and humanitarian law violations, including extra judicial killings, targeted abductions and forced return of Eritrean refugees and asylum seekers to Eritrea, allegedly by Eritrean forces. I am also concerned about allegations of possible implication of Eritrean troops in cases of serious human rights violations, including acts of abductions, forceful or unvoluntary return of Eritrean refugees and asylum seekers, and their imprisonment in different prisons in Eritrea. My CO sentit to me. I also welcome the release, on 4 December 2020, of 24 Jehovah's Witnesses, including the three conscientious objectors, Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam, who had been. Thus, as the physical head directs the movements and operations of the body, or the head one of a department supervises the organization and work of his staff, so the . The We also call for urgent action to arrest the unfolding crisis in Tigray, including by imposing arms embargoes on the warring parties, and sanctions on the leaders of Ethiopia and Eritrea, who bear ultimate responsibility for human rights violations that are allegedly being committed with impunity by their respective forces. On religious freedoms, I welcome the release of a large group of Christians. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. These are other examples of numerous cases of individuals who are currently languishing in Eritrean prisons, with no prospect of release. Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos and Negede Teklemariam members of the Jehovah Witness faith were arrested over 25 years ago for objecting to military service that goes against their religion. They have spent between 5 and26 yearsin prison. Eritrea continues to have no national assembly to adopt laws, including those regulating fundamental rights and the right of the Eritrean people to participate freely in the public life of their country. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi, approximately 20,000 refugees from Hitsat and Shimelba camps are currently missing. women were arrested after worshipping in public as they were walking down a They would kill you for trying, or even crying, a 48-year-old woman named Zenebu who works as a healthcare worker and lives in Colorado but was trapped in Tigray for weeks while visiting her mother, was quoted as saying. According to the UN However, this good news must not obscure the Eritrean regimes continued complicity in egregious violations of human rights, both within its own borders and now in Tigray.. What will happen to immigrants admitted through Bidens illegal parole program? The situation of detainees and political prisoners is particularly concerning. As a result, Witnesses are not allowed to hold government identity cards or business licenses, or to complete high school. Currently, our jw.org lists 7 countries by name , and "other lands" , for a total of more than 165 brothers and sisters incarcerated. Unconfirmed reports have suggested that there have been a series of fatal assaults committed against citizens in Tigray, a predominantly-Christian northernmost region of Ethiopia. Jehovah's Witnesses: The World's Most Persecuted Religion 300 | Phoenix, AZ 85023 Notify me of follow-up comments by email. "Some of those Witnesses have been imprisoned for more than 20 years. On 18 December 2020, I requested an invitation to undertake an official visit to Eritrea in my capacity as Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Eritrea. They also requested Eritrea to "ensure the legal recognition of conscientious objection to military service and provide for alternative service of a civilian nature for conscientious objectors.. UNESCO urges caution over fraudulent African artefacts sold in its name. Wizieni za wiar Erytrea BIBLIOTEKA INTERNETOWA Stranicy And the e re at from a list. paulos eyasu, isaac mogos and negede teklemariam released On 1 February, 21 female and 43 male prisoners were released from Mai Serwa and Adi Abeito prisons, close to the capital city, Asmara. I have received information from credible sources that, as of November 2020, the situation of these refugees and asylum seekers has become more precarious and worrisome. Afewerkis policy of restrictions is more about his fear that religion will mobilize people as a political force than religion per se. Around 3,000 former residents of Shimelba and Hitsat have reportedly managed to reach Mai Aini, one of the two remaining camps for Eritrean refugees in Tigray. It is difficult to speak of progress in Eritrea while their cases remain unresolved. ERITREA Our brothers - Heart of Jehovah's Witnesses | Facebook All 52 Jehovahs Witnesses in prison in Eritrea have never been charged, appeared in court, or sentenced. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. It does not store any personal data. Citing eyewitnesses he met during a recent visit to Mai Aini, the High Commissioner said many refugees appear to have been "caught in crossfire, abducted and forced to return to Eritrea under duress by Eritrean forces. "Our families spent the whole evening together. I proposed that I visit Eritrea from 21 to 31 January 2021 to hold consultations with relevant officials from the Government and a range of actors with a view to assessing the human rights situation on the ground, and to exploring jointly future avenues for constructive engagement for the sake of the protection and promotion of human rights in the country. parties, and sanctions on the leaders of Ethiopia and Eritrea, who bear Your email address will not be published. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Eritrea has held three Jehovah's Witnesses in jail for 25 years As a worldwide association of brothers, we rejoice over this development. 'Jesus Revolution' leaves out the tough stuff but gets the music right, Mark Wahlberg gives lessons on fasting during Lent, Sacked chaplain to appeal after losing employment tribunal case. Since gaining independence, Eritrea's government has required indefinite national service by physically able adults between 18 and 70 years of age. In 2013, Amnesty International researcher Claire Beston called Eritrea "one of the most repressive, secretive and inaccessible countries in the world.".