Fax: 205-402-5354. webmaster@vhcs.us Robert Evans graduated from Vestavia Hills High School in 1999 and was a defensive back on Buddy Anderson's 1998 state championship team. [37] The PSC investigation into Propst (case 19-2-1025) was settled with a 131 day suspension. "His values and commitment to excellence are aligned with those of our school system and community. "The foundation that has already been laid in Vestavia Hills is great, and I look forward to building upon that foundation and impacting lives through the football program," Calhoun said. Under his tenure as athletic director of the Vestavia Hills High School athletic program the sports teams have won over 45 state championships, and numerous runner-up trophies in all boys and girls sports. Enough had happened already, and I didnt want to add to everything by leaving my players. He played with a broken forearm last year. I may have some different tactics, but when you get down to the basics of our program, the foundation coach Anderson has already laid is absolutely fantastic. He went 7-4 his first season and won 64 games in eight years overall. Buddy Anderson enters his 40th season as Head Coach at Vestavia Hills. They are looking for a group. He studied both physical education and math at Samford University, and while he spent many years in the classroom, his heart has always been on the football field. It comes down to hard work. What I expect from this team is to give 100 percent. Everyone who knows Coach Anderson knows that this is why he did it, and what he cared about mostpositively impacting the lives of everyone around him. Anderson had just seven losing seasons three in the past 10 seasons, although two of last years six setbacks were forfeits due to COVID-19 protocols. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Vestavia Hills Football! 18. (Dennis Victory | preps@al.com)Dennis Victory | preps@al.com. Hes a good football player and one of those who makes you better, for sure., Calhoun also singled out his top two defensive ends juniors Andrew Sykes and Lane Whisenhunt. Claim your team to manage the roster, schedule, scores, stats and more. The Valdosta State Blazers won the NCAA Division II National Championship in 2007 while Calhoun served as a running backs coach. He is an emotional leader who is great in the locker room. The former Prattville and Central-Phenix City head coach returns to the state after a two-year stint in Georgia. Orange Beach head coach Jamey DuBose discusses the upcoming prep football season during Baldwin County Media Day on Wednesday, July 13, 2022, in Daphne, Ala. (Mike Kittrell | preps@al.com). It took about five months to find a house for the five Calhouns after he took on the task of replacing Alabamas all-time winningest high-school football coach Buddy Anderson in January. Calhoun went 4 and 6 this past season at Vestavia. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. That first trip to FCA camp started a yearly tradition that lasted over 40 years until the camps ended. Vestavia Hills High School. We aim to promote learning without limits. Propst divorced Tammy in 2008 and married his current wife, Stefnie, with whom he has four children.[3][4]. Rebels Helping Rebels is a grace fund used to financially support students in need. Calhoun, 39, has served as the head football coach at Carrollton High in Georgia since 2016. Beyond his players, Coach Anderson has had a strong and positive influence on other coaches through the years. And probably not as many as Hewitt-Trussville and Hoover. He was hired at Hoover in 1999, where he coached for nine years, winning 110 games and five state championships. One is senior offensive lineman Hoke Smith, he said. Sean Calhoun's first year as Vestavia Hills football coach may be mix Vestavia Hills Football Retweeted. When you get knocked down, you get back up. Coach, Varsity Head Coach - Men's Bowling, Asst. As usual, the high school football offseason has been filled with coaching changes throughout the state maybe more than most years. Hes intelligent and can play a lot of different positions.REL. Fax 205-402-5303 District Home Schools Translate Employee Login Announcements Rebels Helping Rebels Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Our guys take pride in our community and have that pride with a little edge, a chip on their shoulders, Calhoun said. The investigation resulted in the forfeiture of four games, including a 1-0 loss to crosstown rival Spain Park High School, the first loss to the Jaguars in the history of the teams' rivalry. Stover replaces Steve Meek, who retired after 11 seasons leading the Eagles. Sean Calhoun and his family finally are making Vestavia Hills their home. When the breaks of the game go against us, we dont let up, we go harder., Finally, I asked Coach Anderson what led him to choose 2020 as his last to coach high school ball. Box 947 Still, the Tigers usually have talent and now have a coach with a state title on his resume. In addition to football, he was a two-year starter on the basketball team and even though Ohatchee did not have a track program, he checked out of school one afternoon and won the District 100-yard dash his senior year. Calhoun ran Colquitt's offense in 2014 and 2015, during which the . Photo provided to Vestavia City Schools by Robert Evans. Thats where he bonds with the players and really connects with them. AHSFHS.org - Alabama High School Football Coaches He was named Region Coach of the Year at the end of the 2019 and 2020 seasons. I dont think Alabama football gets talked about. "I made mistakes. They were alike in so many ways: both strong Christian men, both strong citizens in their communities and both coached over 40 years, Ryan shares. As a truck traveling down Highway 31 lost its brakes and barreled through an intersection, those three lives were cut short in a tragic event that still shakes the entire community when it . Morson hired Brett Mask away from Colbert County to be his offensive coordinator and has one of the states top recruits on his roster in Alabama commit Jahlil Hurley. VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. The Vestavia Hills Board of Education on Wednesday approved the hiring of Sean Calhoun as the new head football coach at Vestavia Hills High School. The Bucs have had just three coaches since Rush Propst took over in 1999. Former Hewitt-Trussville and Auburn wide receiver got the promotion at Pinson Valley following Sam Shades departure to Miles College. He also served as an assistant coach for eight years at Cleburne County High School in Heflin, Alabama, Cherokee High School in Canton, Georgia, and Ashville High School in Ashville, Alabama. He previously served eight years as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at Hoover High School and spent time at Oak Mountain, Spanish Fort, and UAB. Traditional powers like St. Pauls, Hoover and Spanish Fort all changed leaders as did reigning state champs Pike Road and Vigor. RELATED: Who is the states best active coach? During the 2019 football season, Propst co-hosted Tennessee Two-A-Days, a radio show on Fox Sports Knoxville. The following week, Tribble Publications in Warm Springs, Ga, the parent company who owns The Western Star, printed an apology for allowing Ford to print these allegations in their paper, though it did not specifically retract the charges. (Ironically, Ford had previously advocated in a Gazette column that Propst be hired to fill the then-vacant head coach position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham). Vestavia Hills, AL 35216. A former Rebel defensive back and member of the 1998 state championship team, Evans returns home after four years as Mountain Brooks defensive coordinator. He can run, hes smart and he also plays basketball. Continuing their education through athletics is a priority.. vestavia hills football coaching staff; what is the. In 1990, he married Tammy Cox, his high school sweetheart, with whom he had three children. Greenville has been an annual threat in 5A but hasnt won a state title since 1994. Calhoun was hired as the new head coach at Colquitt County High School in Georgia. Hazel Green coach Smitty Grider shares words with the referee as Ft. Payne plays Hazel Green at Hazel Green High School Friday, Oct. 19, 2018 in Hazel Green, Ala.Eric Schultz | AL.com. I told the team if our best players are our best people in general we have a great chance of being successful. Here is a look at 15 offseason impact hires as fall practice begins this week and next across the state of Alabama. Orange Beach head coach Chase Smith in action during a 7-on-7 prep football tournament at University of South Alabama on Tuesday, June 15, 2021, in Mobile, Ala. (Mike Kittrell | preps@al.com). It wasnt something they had planned to do, and they werent really sure how they would find a way to attend. He retired following the 2020 season as the winningest football coach in the state. Nikita Stover was named the new head football coach at Decatur Heritage Christian Academy on Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021. In four varsity seasons, the Patriots went 42-7 overall, including a 36-2 mark in the last three seasons. They are both tough with good motors. My dad was always my coaching mentor in life, and around 2007 I gained Buddy Anderson as another mentor. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. In the total scheme of things, relationships matter most. Thank you all for all that you do for Vestavia Athletics. The event will take place in the schools gymnasium and is open to the public. While his focus was always on the students, Coach Anderson saw many wins in his tenure too. From what I was told, this was the first time [Vestavia] had been to a 7-on-7 in a tournament format. Vestavia High School names new head football coach - WBRC The topic was the focus of considerable discussion on the Paul Finebaum syndicated sports talk radio show, where Hunter Ford, a reporter for The Hoover Gazette newspaper, reported the rumors. Sean Calhoun lasted just one year before returning to Georgia to coach. He shared that when he finally decided to retire, he prayed about it a lot. The first thing I told this team is that I am a Christian. (Jeff Lee/Contributed). RELATED: Waldrop embracing Bucs tradition, Former Eufaula coach Ed Rigby has been named head football coach at Pike Road. Anytime Hoover changes coaches, it has to be big news. Vestavia Hills High School (@VestaviaHillsHS) / Twitter @1rebelathletics. Smith spent his last several seasons trying to resurrect a struggling Robertsdale program and then starting the Orange Beach team. [18][19] In 2013, Colquitt finished 11-3 after losing 14-9 to the eventual state champions, Norcross High School, in the state semifinal game. Thomas Rush Propst (born December 1957) is a high school football coach who currently serves as athletic director and associate football coach at Coosa Christian School in Gadsden, Alabama. After a long tenure at Gordo, including the last nine years as head coach, Lolley decided to take another challenge at Northridge. All rights reserved (About Us). Thomas Rush Propst (born December 1957) is a high school football coach who currently serves as athletic director and associate football coach at Coosa Christian School in Gadsden, Alabama. People do know were hard-nosed. Records reflect scores in our database. Spanish Fort needed a new coach after Blackmon left after seven years. youtube.com. Alabama High School Football History - Ahsfhs.org I told them I cant be the guy who wants to win more than they do. VESTAVIA HILLS SOCCER CLUB OFFICE 1973 Merryvale Road Vestavia Hills, AL 35216 (205) 978-0182 He can move, too. American football player and coach (born 1957), Dismissal from Colquitt County High School, Sanctions imposed against Valdosta High School, "Rush Propst returning to high school coaching in Alabama", "Hoover's Rush Propst gets head football coaching job at Georgia high school", "Propst considers college job, chooses to stay at CCHS", "High School Football Coach Relishes His Second Chance", "2010 Georgia High School Football State Championship Bracket", "2011 Georgia Boys State Football Playoff Bracket: GHSA Class AAAAA", "Norcross rallies to win state high school football championship", "Three teams win their first state championships", "Superintendent pledges independent probe", "Letter from attorneys for Richard Bishop to the Hoover Board of Education, reprinted by, "Hoover must forfeit games due to ineligible player", "Rush Propst resigns but will coach through end of playoffs", "Hoover (Ala.) High coach agrees to step down", "Rush Propst suspended a year for head-butting own player in this video, will appeal", "Colquitt County coach Propst appeals one-year suspension | Prep Zone: High School Sports blog", "Propst suspension dropped, will receive reprimand - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports", "School board relieves Propst of coaching duties", "Propst investigation cites pill incidents, dishonesty, insubordination", "MINUTES Georgia Professional Standards Commission", "Valdosta football barred from 2021 playoffs, fined $7,500, four players ruled ineligible", Amazon.com: "Building A Championship Football Program 12 Months A Year," by Rush Propst, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rush_Propst&oldid=1134535480, Jacksonville State Gamecocks football players, High school football coaches in Georgia (U.S. state), Articles with dead external links from April 2019, Articles with permanently dead external links, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 19 January 2023, at 04:49. His team finished the season with an on-field record of 10-2 (6-6 including the four forfeit losses). They are like brothers. Sadly, it would be their last. In February, 1978, assistant Buddy Anderson became Head Coach Buddy Anderson. We have the pieces of the puzzle here, and its my job to move them around to make that product. All rights reserved. Mine was a calling, and maybe somebody else is going into it for other reasons. Athletic Trainer David Beland dbeland@hoover.k12.al.us (256) 604-9948. Before Mondays opening fall practice, the Rebels had already experienced something new. Vestavia Hills, AL 35216. Ralph Clyde "Shorty" Propst, who was born in 1924 and played for Alabama Crimson Tide, is his uncle. Calhoun was recommended to the Board of Education by a search committee including Vestavia Hills City Schools Superintendent Todd Freeman, VHHS Principal Tonya Rozell, Athletic Director and VHHS alumnus Jeff Segars, and Assistant Superintendent Patrick Martin.Freeman described Calhoun as a dedicated family man and professional with impeccable character. Calhoun was hired as the new head coach at Colquitt County High School in Georgia. Coach, Varsity Head Coach - Flag Football, Bowling, Women's Golf, Varsity Head Coach - Football Cheerleading, Varsity Head Coach - Basketball Cheerleading, Head Coach - Cross Country, Track and Field, Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach, Linebackers/Director of Football Operations/Special Teams Coordinator, Varsity Head Coach - Wrestling, Asst. We are thrilled to have Robert and his wife Anne on the Vestavia Hills team, Freeman said today. Coach, Head Coach - 8th Women's Basketball, Head Coach - Football, Wrestling, Outdoor Track, Asst. VESTAVIA, Ala. (WBRC) - Vestavia Hills High School has announced that a former rebel will return as the schools new head football coach. Some The Jaguars have suffered through four straight losing seasons and went just 2-8 a year ago. VHHS Athletics. His record as a head football coach for the past 43 years at Vestavia Hills High School is 346-160 with two state football championships. Published: Jan. 5, 2022 at 7:44 AM PST. He was also the founder of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter at Vestavia Hills High School. I dont know what that plan is either, but I know it is a great one. Kenny Morson, shown during a game as head coach at Fayetteville (Tenn.) High School, was hired as the new Florence High School football coach on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022. 7. His playoff record is 47-29 while his region record stands at 152-71 which is the most region wins in state history. John Rodgers will coach linebackers after working with Newton in Hartselle and Vestavia alumnus and former Spain Park assistant Patrick Bonovitch will coach running backs. VHHS is part of the Vestavia Hills City School District with approximately 1,800 students and 21 varsity sports. You hear about Texas and Florida and Georgia and California talked about, but Alabama will go toe-to-toe with every team in every one of those states. We just have to follow him and make our own footprints and build on his legacy. If you have a disability or face any barriers accessing website content, please contact (205) 402-5100 or email webmaster@vestavia.k12.al.us. In 2006, he took over a Beauregard program that had won just two games in two years. I want leaders to have character, not be a character. I told him as long as he is comfortable with it I definitely need to use him as a resource. (Dennis Victory | preps@al.com). There are so many predators out there and its scary to me. Calhouns hiring follows the 2020 retirement of Buddy Anderson who had served as Vestavia Hills head football coach since 1978. Football Staff Vestavia Hills Football Staff Players (99) Staff (2) Robert Evans Head Coach Are you the coach? When my dad passed away, he was one of the first to call, and we talked for over an hour. Calhoun ran Colquitts offense in 2014 and 2015, during which the Packers were 30-0 and won two state titles under coach Rush Propst. One of the first things they did in their efforts to move forward was to hire Buddy Anderson as their head football coach. We aint got many four- or five-stars, but you can win a lot of games with zero-stars players. Now he has plans to retire from coaching after this falls football season. Right now, hes in a battle with Forte Edmonds.. I have failed you as a community. P.O. Watch the 2022 AHSAA Football Playoffs Vestavia Hills High School vs. Thompson High School - 11/12/2022 live and on demand online on the NFHS Network . Hes athletic, big and strong. Hes a tough, hard-nosed kid who I definitely think is going to have a heckuva season for us. 2022-2023 VHSC Boys Staffing. Purify was reinstated by the AHSAA during the playoffs that same year. Coach Anderson was inducted into the 2003 Alabama High School Sports Hall of Fame. Basketball, Boys' [17] In 2012, Colquitt finished 10-4 after losing 41-27 to the eventual state champions, Norcross High School, in the state semifinal game. Kids need to stand on their own two feet and learn how to be productive for themselves. Coach Calhoun and his family will be a wonderful addition to Vestavia Hills.". Robert Evans is the new Vestavia Hills football coach. At the conclusion of the 2020 season, his 31-year head coaching record stood at 307-96 (.762 win percentage).[2]. New coach Sean Calhoun said Smith would be the Rebels' best offensive lineman in 2021. Coach: Buddy Anderson. Buy newspaper front pages, posters and more. You cant always get that in practice., RELATED: American Christians Chris Smelley steps down. Also, parents dont need to make it all better all the time. [28][29] Despite the forfeits, the Bucs finished the regular season with a 4-5 record and qualified for the AHSAA 6A playoffs. We went to UABs 7-on-7 tournament, Calhoun said. VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. (WBRC) - Vestavia Hills High School head football coach Sean Calhoun has resigned after one season with the Rebels. For the first time in more than four decades, Vestavia Hills High School has a new head football coach: Sean Calhoun. Propst gained national notoriety through the MTV series Two-A-Days, which chronicled the 2005 and 2006 seasons of his Hoover team. Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). Then, I wanted a great mix of guys who were Vestavia guys and who really love this place. Coach, Head Coach - 7th Men's Basketball, Asst. Buy newspaper front pages, posters and more. Columbiana, AL 35051, Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, 7 November Events Not to Miss in Vestavia Hills, Meet New Vestavia Hills High School Football Coach Sean Calhoun, Five March Events Not to Miss in Vestavia Hills, Five February Events Not to Miss in Vestavia Hills, Five January Events Not to Miss in Vestavia Hills. Whats one bad thing about high school athletics in 2020? Claim this team Ways you can help Make an impact on this team, and help keep MaxPreps up-to-date. Coach Volleyball, Asst. He was hired in the fall of 1972 as an assistant coach at Vestavia Hills where he remained for 43 seasons. 2017 Season Highlights. Gordo coach Ryan Lolley directs his team during the Cam Newton 7-on-7 tournament at BlackWatch Sports in Birmingham, Ala., on Saturday, June 29, 2019. Vestavia High School names new head football coach, Two people in custody after police chase, manhunt near Warrior & Hayden, Selma Bridge Crossing Jubilee happening this weekend, Nonprofit organization donates cars to residents of Jimmie Hale Mission. The kids gravitate toward a kid like that. He runs the show and keeps this whole place in line. January 13, 2022 Vestavia Hills High School head football coach Robert Evans and his wife, Anne Evans.